Author Topic: Gill officially gets the Ax  (Read 27985 times)

December 09, 2011, 09:08:12 AM
Reply #75

zigo230

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
Re: Gill officially gets the Ax
« Reply #75 on: December 09, 2011, 09:08:12 AM »
Weis seems like a pretty good hire for Kansas imo.  They didn't need some on the job trainee coming in.  Now they get a ready-made coach who probably has tons of contacts to fill out his staff. He knows what it takes to win at the highest level of football.  Most of all, he inherits a train wreck of a program and that's the best type of situation to come in to.  There's only one way to go and thats up.  It's like when Gill came to Buffalo.  He wins 5-6 games and he's viewed as a hero. 

December 09, 2011, 09:58:05 AM
Reply #76

verandaman

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 09, 2011, 09:58:05 AM »
Maybe he can do for Kansas what he did for the Gators offense.

If he does, it'll make Turner look good!

Charlie hasn't proven he can be a successful (head) coach........Notre Dame was awful under him; now the pathetic Florida offense.......curious pick in my view.

I know Leach went to Wazzu, but he would have put bums in the seats (as he will in Pullman).
"The more you know, the more you know you don't know" - Aristotle

December 09, 2011, 10:00:20 AM
Reply #77

JoeyRattlesnake

• Information
  • Redshirt Freshman
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 09, 2011, 10:00:20 AM »
This, as well as the situation at Buffalo, is a classic case of not wanting to be "The Guy" who replaces "The Guy", but rather you'd like to be "The Guy" who replaces "The Guy" who replaced "The Guy."  Both Kansas and Buffalo had lofty expectations, respectively, after the 2009 seasons.  Kansas was just two years removed from an Orange Bowl victory over Virginia Teach and Buffalo just finished up a disappointing season, one year after capturing their first ever MAC Championship.  The 2008 season was what fans hoped to see year in and year out from their teams.

Gill was replacing Mangino, who was fired under speculation of physical abuse of his players, after an 5-7 year.  In most situations, that record would have bought a coach at least another year.  The regression from their 12-1 record in 2007 to 5-7 in 2009, coupled with the investigation of Mangino, left the administration with little choice.  And in galloped one of the hottest names in the country.  

Quinn, like Gill, replaced a coach one year removed from unprecedented success.  Gill was 5-7 in 2009, after going 8-6 and earning the schools first ever bowl bid (well second, but we all know about that by now) the year before.  Bulls fans thought the years of 2-10 and being considered one of, if not the, worst schools in FBS were over; they had graduated to bigger and better things.  

In both cases the next two years were huge let downs for the fan base.  The difference between the two is three letters.  BCS.  Kansas is in an automatic qualifying conference and have little patience for losing.  Because of those three little letters, they also are capable of going out and reeling in a big name, like Charlie Weis.  Buffalo can't.  It's plain and simple. So rather than buying out Quinn and paying more for a hot, up and coming coach, they ride it out.  Hope it can turn it around.  Because let's be honest, one good year will erase years of pain for UB fans.  The people in Lawerence are a little more greedy, they want it year in and year out.  

Which curse is worse?  
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 02:27:42 PM by ATL Bull '08 »

December 10, 2011, 02:53:08 PM
Reply #78

verandaman

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 10, 2011, 02:53:08 PM »
.....rumored tweet by Greg Doyel at cbssports.com.......

Kansas got rid of a bad person in Mangino; then they got rid of a bad coach in Gill..........by hiring Weiss they get both.

I actually like the fat man.......Mangino that is.  Lots of bad jokes around Kansas about how Weiss will pick up traffic at the buffet dinner places; make up of the loss of Mangino.......good for the food and restaurant economy.......
"The more you know, the more you know you don't know" - Aristotle

December 11, 2011, 11:24:45 PM
Reply #79

myBuffalo

• Information
  • All MAC Performer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: December 11, 2011, 11:24:45 PM »
.....rumored tweet by Greg Doyel at cbssports.com.......

Kansas got rid of a bad person in Mangino; then they got rid of a bad coach in Gill..........by hiring Weiss they get both.

I actually like the fat man.......Mangino that is.  Lots of bad jokes around Kansas about how Weiss will pick up traffic at the buffet dinner places; make up of the loss of Mangino.......good for the food and restaurant economy.......

In all fairness, Mangino treated people the wrong way. Treated some of his players with verbal abuse regarding where they were from and how they grew up. Not a true motivator in my mind. I appreciate his story about his "paying dues" to become the head football coach, however he treated people poorly.
Lets Go Buffalo!

December 12, 2011, 01:05:09 AM
Reply #80

everlast2504

• Information
  • Position Coach
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #80 on: December 12, 2011, 01:05:09 AM »
OK 6 pages about our former coach who when it comes down to brass tacks was here 3 years?  In the big picture that is a flash in the pan. He won us a championship that's awesome and no words can really describe how much it really is. But he is some one else's problem now.

There really needs for another section to be made about our players in the NFL, NBA, Europe, etc.

December 14, 2011, 07:10:47 PM
Reply #81

RecoveringHillbilly

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 14, 2011, 07:10:47 PM »

December 14, 2011, 10:00:02 PM
Reply #82

Bull_In_Exile

• Information
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
    • Bull Run
« Reply #82 on: December 14, 2011, 10:00:02 PM »
Seriously: Gill @ Liiberty?!!? Would make Pete Gagliardi happy.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?103038-Turner-Gill-to-Liberty&s=6bdd44149e3f7438ac78b168fc3d3d73

Looks like there will be a presser tomorrow at 1:30 to introduce Gill..
"I will play fullback in the next game and I’ll have a gun with me. The first Buffalo man who shows yellow, I’ll drop." -- Coach Turk Gordon

http://www.ubbullrun.com/ - A UB Football and Basketball Blog
"Is there a year

December 14, 2011, 11:34:02 PM
Reply #83

BrooklynBull

• Information
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 14, 2011, 11:34:02 PM »
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 11:36:57 PM by BrooklynBull »

December 14, 2011, 11:58:41 PM
Reply #84

everlast2504

• Information
  • Position Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 14, 2011, 11:58:41 PM »
first a statment.

My very food friend is getting married in less then 234 hours. We just finsihed bacholor party $2. I am not sobor.

Now:

enough with the BS about GIll. how give a flying rats a## where he goes. he is no longer part of UB. Let's focus on our current football team and not some coahc of rthe past who may or may not of been our best coach ever. He did coach with a stacked team afterall.

December 15, 2011, 06:27:30 AM
Reply #85

RecoveringHillbilly

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 15, 2011, 06:27:30 AM »
On your statement and blood alcohol level, bravo! One of the best posts of the year!

On the Gil-thread point, I think it's natural to discuss the exploits of coaches past whenever things come up, from Gill to Hofher, to a Brian Polian or a Jim Haslett, no matter how they did during their time here.

December 15, 2011, 07:00:16 AM
Reply #86

everlast2504

• Information
  • Position Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 15, 2011, 07:00:16 AM »
On your statement and blood alcohol level, bravo! One of the best posts of the year!

On the Gil-thread point, I think it's natural to discuss the exploits of coaches past whenever things come up, from Gill to Hofher, to a Brian Polian or a Jim Haslett, no matter how they did during their time here.

To clarify my point in a more sober state. 

I order to grow and move on as growing Sports Program in D1, we all need to start looking forward. Its nice to bring up what our former alum are doing now but at some point it get ridiculous.  Right now UB is Coach Quinn, Reggie, Watt, Mack, etc. Let's focus on them and not 6 pages on Gill

What has Turner Gill done for UB this season? Nothing, not a single darn thing. Why, because he is not part of UB anymore.

December 15, 2011, 08:31:57 AM
Reply #87

BrazenBull

• Information
  • Position Coach
  • Flecking Casual
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 15, 2011, 08:31:57 AM »
It is official.

http://www.bigsouthsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4800&ATCLID=205347030

Nice picture, wonder where it is from.

I was sad for a moment, then I was reminded that Jerry Falwell is dead.  That almost cheered me up.  Now I'm back around neutral.  I guess the mature thing to do would be to wish Gill well at his new job.   sigh.

December 15, 2011, 09:47:38 AM
Reply #88

UB_dropout

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 15, 2011, 09:47:38 AM »

I order to grow and move on as growing Sports Program in D1, we all need to start looking forward. Its nice to bring up what our former alum are doing now but at some point it get ridiculous.  Right now UB is Coach Quinn, Reggie, Watt, Mack, etc. Let's focus on them and not 6 pages on Gill

What has Turner Gill done for UB this season? Nothing, not a single darn thing. Why, because he is not part of UB anymore.

I could say the same thing about the amount of debate and conversation going on here about a lost football season while our very promising basketball team is looking for support.  That's life, and you are always free to pick and choose which topics you wish to read and engage in.

December 15, 2011, 10:22:35 AM
Reply #89

BRJACR75

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: December 15, 2011, 10:22:35 AM »

AAAAAHHHHH!  Drunken Posts!!  That brings back memories.........

http://ubfan.com/board/index.php?topic=9479.msg101585#msg101585