Author Topic: 2011 By Postion: What happened and Whats Next (Defensive Backs Added)  (Read 8383 times)

November 29, 2011, 02:17:39 PM
Read 8383 times

Bull_In_Exile

• Information
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
    • Bull Run
http://www.ubbullrun.com/2011/11/29/2592068/2011by-postion-what-happened-and-whats-next-quarterbacks

When Jeff Quinn tweeted about the "Big Announcement" I think UB fans expected something more than they got. Chazz Anderson was the outgoing third string Quarterback at Cincinnati and he was being converted to a wide receiver.

Still a mobile Quarterback who knew Quinn, and his offense was more than Buffalo had going into the spring. The 2010 season left UB with two choices at Quarterback. Jerry Davis who's struggles lost him the job and Alex Zordich a determined Quarterback who completed less than half of his passes during his injury shortened stint as UB's starting Quarterback.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 02:15:17 PM by Bull_In_Exile »
"I will play fullback in the next game and I’ll have a gun with me. The first Buffalo man who shows yellow, I’ll drop." -- Coach Turk Gordon

http://www.ubbullrun.com/ - A UB Football and Basketball Blog
"Is there a year

December 13, 2011, 02:57:50 PM
Reply #1

Bull_In_Exile

• Information
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
    • Bull Run
Re: 2011 By Postion: What happened and Whats Next
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 02:57:50 PM »
http://www.ubbullrun.com/2011/12/13/2633372/2011-by-position-what-happened-and-whats-next-halfbacks

Running Backs

If someone tapped you on the shoulder last December and told you several of James Starks' records would fall would you really expect it to have been to Branden Oliver?

Buffalo fans were encouraged by the prospect of finally seeing James Potts hit the field and I suspect most would think that if anyone on the roster could eclipse Starks it would have been Potts. He was one of UB's biggest recruiting gets of all time picking Buffalo over offers from Big10 and SEC schools.
"I will play fullback in the next game and I’ll have a gun with me. The first Buffalo man who shows yellow, I’ll drop." -- Coach Turk Gordon

"Is there a year

December 20, 2011, 11:22:41 AM
Reply #2

Hokie200proof

• Information
  • Four Year Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 11:22:41 AM »
Nice write-ups BIE. 

I'll be very interested to see how this offense progresses next year.  It was supposed to be Quinn's specialty.  Bout time it actually becomes a strength.  We'll have to break in a new QB again so I'm not going to expect miracles, but I would like to see more than what we've seen.
"Behold, the moon is like blood.  Witness this my UBrothers, and know it is the dawn of The Age of Beeffalo" 10:13 - Letters from Mack to the Beeffalonians

December 20, 2011, 12:35:32 PM
Reply #3

clodney

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 12:35:32 PM »
Here's an interesting question: Will we even see James Potts play this year?? Our coach is so freakin stubborn, not allowing any other backs to run the ball this year, that I could see him not even giving Potts a chance. That better not be the case.
"Don’t give me that WNY is getting favorable treatment here. WNY was getting screwed for years and this bill does very little to equalize things. We don’t want to hold back SB/BU & UA but UB has been working on 2020 for 5 years. Don’t say, ‘Because you’re at the finish line you have to wait for us'"

December 20, 2011, 01:03:09 PM
Reply #4

BrooklynBull

• Information
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 01:03:09 PM »
Here's an interesting question: Will we even see James Potts play this year?? Our coach is so freakin stubborn, not allowing any other backs to run the ball this year, that I could see him not even giving Potts a chance. That better not be the case.

You are of course assuming that he can get himself eligible and will not be too rusty after a two year layoff.

December 20, 2011, 01:12:29 PM
Reply #5

clodney

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 01:12:29 PM »
You are of course assuming that he can get himself eligible and will not be too rusty after a two year layoff.

Let's assume he gets himself eligible. Wouldn't you want to see what our highest rated recruit ever is capable of, regardless of his two years away from the field?
"Don’t give me that WNY is getting favorable treatment here. WNY was getting screwed for years and this bill does very little to equalize things. We don’t want to hold back SB/BU & UA but UB has been working on 2020 for 5 years. Don’t say, ‘Because you’re at the finish line you have to wait for us'"

December 20, 2011, 09:35:11 PM
Reply #6

RecoveringHillbilly

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 09:35:11 PM »
I'd think being so close to making it, after working so hard to get here on time, would humble him. I saw him in all types of positions within the formations in the spring. The coaches would get him touches, either RB, Slot back, and/or PR, seeing as he is a legit 6' 200lb w/ jets:

Potts, in particular, looking impressive by ripping off three long gains. "I liked the way we ran the ball today," said Quinn. "We did a good job of our big boys upfront getting bodies on bodies and getting themselves engaged in a good fundamental fit position and if you give a guy like James a crease, he's got great acceleration and great vision. We are excited for James and have to keep coaching him up and developing him to play this fall. James plays with a great deal of enthusiasm and competitive fire and that's why we recruited him," Quinn said of the redshirt freshman from Florida. "We knew that he has a lot of athletic gifts and abilities and now it's his turn to step in and step up and I know the guys are excited about him on the field."

Tailback: "..Potts, who had 27 yards on just five carries (5.4 per carry)
Goal line: "Later, James Potts scampered in from the two-yard line."
Slot-back: "...[Rudy Johnson] led the offense on a 65-yard scoring drive, capped by a 15-yard touchdown pass to Potts."

I also watched Jordan Johnson many times the last 2 seasons and he's more likely a WR/DB, depending on his hands. He's more of an open-field evasive runner than a physical grinder on O, though he was a punishing hitter at DB as well.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 09:40:42 PM by RecoveringHillbilly »

January 02, 2012, 03:08:03 PM
Reply #7

Bull_In_Exile

• Information
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
    • Bull Run
Re: 2011 By Postion: What happened and Whats Next (Wide Receivers)
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 03:08:03 PM »
http://www.ubbullrun.com/2012/1/2/2638101/2011-by-position-what-happened-and-whats-next-wide-receivers

Every team needs a solid second receiver and right now it's impossible to know if the Bulls have that. Depth charts from 2011 make it look like you have Neutz and Lee on the outside with Hughes in the slot.

Until Lee, Hughes, or one of other receivers show they can take some pressure off of Neutz UB's receiving corps will lag a bit behind where they were this season.

"Is there a year

January 02, 2012, 06:54:01 PM
Reply #8

kurtdahlberg93

• Information
  • Position Coach
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 By Postion: What happened and Whats Next (Receivers added)
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 06:54:01 PM »
*Fred Lee
*Alex Neutz
*Saron Hood
*Devon Hughes
Rudy Johnson
John Dunmore
Cordero Dixon
Ron Willoughby

Marcus McGill
Malcolm Robinson

Hopefully one or two of these guys really step up.   

January 02, 2012, 07:36:42 PM
Reply #9

BullsFanInChiTown

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, 07:36:42 PM »
I really like our recievers actually. Neutz will be a top WR in the MAC. Lee and Hughes showed promise last year, and are ready to play a lot. I am also really high on Ron Willoughby. His size, stats and scouting reports read a lot like Neutzs did coming out of HS.

January 03, 2012, 01:52:26 PM
Reply #10

RecoveringHillbilly

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 01:52:26 PM »
I really like our recievers actually. Neutz will be a top WR in the MAC. Lee and Hughes showed promise last year, and are ready to play a lot. I am also really high on Ron Willoughby. His size, stats and scouting reports read a lot like Neutzs did coming out of HS.

Agreed. Lee has better numbers and none of the headaches that Rivers had after his first 2 seasons. Hughes isn't as fast a Terrell but was steady as a receiver, beating out Young for a time. Willoughby looked so smooth for a guy his size last spring so I can't wait to check him out in a few weeks. Hood may have been in the depth chart but he spent far more time on ST, with the younger receivers getting the bulk of snaps. Dunmore is very quick but had a tough time against D-1 DB's. I don't see either guy being major factors.

I have to disagree on BIE's summation of Rivers, of course. He regressed in 2011. He was a fast, legit contender for All-MAC consideration in 2010. His increase in 2011 receptions were like crackers; empty calories. His offensive numbers/averages were down across the board otherwise. He was the Means of the offensive side of the ball.

January 03, 2012, 03:14:41 PM
Reply #11

Bull_In_Exile

• Information
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
    • Bull Run
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012, 03:14:41 PM »

I have to disagree on BIE's summation of Rivers, of course. He regressed in 2011. He was a fast, legit contender for All-MAC consideration in 2010. His increase in 2011 receptions were like crackers; empty calories. His offensive numbers/averages were down across the board otherwise. He was the Means of the offensive side of the ball.

But in 2011 Rivers was *the target* and Neutz the Support... I feel like a big factor in his regression was that he stood still while Neutz got a whole lot more effective.

"Is there a year

January 03, 2012, 04:20:19 PM
Reply #12

RecoveringHillbilly

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 04:20:19 PM »
But in 2011 Rivers was *the target* and Neutz the Support... I feel like a big factor in his regression was that he stood still while Neutz got a whole lot more effective.

I think Davis had the better relationship with Rivers in 2010 as well, having the better deep ball. That vertical game suited Rivers more than what Chazz played. Chazz clearly targeted Neutz as the #1. My thing with Rivers is he had the tools to be better than he performed. It just mystifies me how he could have more catches but do less with them, compared to how the younger WR's around him were producing.

One telling thing to see is just how the QB's have affected things. Chazz liked the short routes, spreading the ball around (but not using the TE's) and many dumps in the flat to BO. Zordich favored throwing to Jackson/Young on the slant routes, BO in flat, and many looks to the TE's (when he was not running for his life). If Z wins the QB spot definately look for a greater utilization of Reeder/Gordon/Dennison with the young WR's...not to jump the gun on your TE preview ;).

January 03, 2012, 08:31:01 PM
Reply #13

Bullions

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 08:31:01 PM »
If Z wins the QB spot, watch out for the ball if you're in stands!

(I'm sorry, I had to...)
No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced. - Neil deGrasse Tyson

January 03, 2012, 09:42:37 PM
Reply #14

RecoveringHillbilly

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2012, 09:42:37 PM »
If Z wins the QB spot, watch out for the ball if you're in stands!

(I'm sorry, I had to...)

What's ironic is Z doesn't have the arm to get it in the stands many times! Licata could seriously take some poor fan out in the chairback seats, with his arm, if he tried.

Anyone who hasn't seen Z in practice much or at all since 2010, come out this spring. He's much improved.