Author Topic: UB drops 4 sports  (Read 6842 times)

April 26, 2017, 09:43:28 AM
Reply #75

ubfan75

• Information
  • Verbal Commit
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: UB drops 4 sports
« Reply #75 on: April 26, 2017, 09:43:28 AM »
What I am actually saying is that football may not generate profits, but we'll get very close if we win. 

The other thing I'm saying is that it's because of football that over 200+ (don't know exact number) students are getting scholarships.  That's not trivial.  It's a huge cost, yes, but besides the free publicity and exposure for students and alumni, the factor we rarely consider is the educational opportunity we're giving these students.  I confess that this is not something I think about, but if we are going to scrutinize the finances, let's not forget this.

The annual cost of running our football team for the year 2013 (according to the Spectrum) was approximately $6.5M. I would guess it is a bit more these days. In 2008 we won the International Bowl in Toronto. That is the very best the team has ever done, and hasn't been close to that since. The payout for that Bowl game? $0.75M. No offense, ADMIN, but you are dreaming that football at UB will EVER come close to being anything more than a money-pit.

The game was lost in 2009.

Oops, my bad. LOL. I was there and actually witnessed a LOSS. I meant to say that the 2008 SEASON was our best, that we competed in the IB and for that received $750,000 (I think).

April 26, 2017, 10:04:47 AM
Reply #76

admin

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #76 on: April 26, 2017, 10:04:47 AM »
We don't make money going to a bowl game. the money is shared so it's more important to hit the BCS game.

The biggest source of football revenue is paid tickets. That can increase with sustained winning.

May 05, 2017, 09:19:41 AM
Reply #77

BrooklynBull

• Information
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 05, 2017, 09:19:41 AM »
NCAA President Emmert spoke at Daemen College yesterday.  He spoke briefly with the Buffalo News about the UB situation.

In a brief interview with The Buffalo News, Emmert said the University at Buffalo's recent decision to eliminate four sports highlights a misconception among some people that universities participate in athletics primarily because they make a lot of money doing so.

"The reality is quite the opposite," he said.

Schools like UB are "having to make difficult budgeting decisions and college sports are not immune from that," he added.

Emmert recalled having to shut down the University of Washington's swimming program in 2009 due to budget constraints.

Emmert said he did not necessarily see a trend toward athletic program cuts. Some schools were adding sports, such as beach volleyball.

"It's variable, depending on each school's circumstances," he said.

May 05, 2017, 12:19:07 PM
Reply #78

UB85

• Information
  • All MAC Performer
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 05, 2017, 12:19:07 PM »
NCAA President Emmert spoke at Daemen College yesterday.  He spoke briefly with the Buffalo News about the UB situation.

In a brief interview with The Buffalo News, Emmert said the University at Buffalo's recent decision to eliminate four sports highlights a misconception among some people that universities participate in athletics primarily because they make a lot of money doing so.

"The reality is quite the opposite," he said.

Schools like UB are "having to make difficult budgeting decisions and college sports are not immune from that," he added.

Emmert recalled having to shut down the University of Washington's swimming program in 2009 due to budget constraints.

Emmert said he did not necessarily see a trend toward athletic program cuts. Some schools were adding sports, such as beach volleyball.

"It's variable, depending on each school's circumstances," he said.
Interesting. Meanwhile Daemen, that D2 school formerly NAIA, is adding Men's Volleyball. Strange juxtaposition with the next Big Time Athletics brand and New York's Public Powerhouse slashing programs. Give credit to UB alum and current Daemen AD Bridget Niland for advancing athletic opportunities at Daemen. Hopefully we can steal her when it's time for ADAG to go.

May 09, 2017, 07:44:46 AM
Reply #79

rieslinger07

• Information
  • Verbal Commit
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 09, 2017, 07:44:46 AM »
http://www.wgrz.com/news/local/ub-students-hold-sit-in-over-athletic-cuts-1/437960541
Several swimmers and divers held a "sit-in" outside the office of UB president Satish Tripathi Monday protesting the move.

They want Tripathi to meet with a group of alumni who have been donating for years and say the school knew cuts were coming for six years now.

"That just seems absolutely crazy, that for six years they were accepting donations on behalf of our alumni without giving any indication of this program being cut," said UB senior swimmer Reid Zyniecki. "If we could have re-allocated those resources toward an endowment for the program, we might not be here today."

One alum, Richard Lydecker, is demanding $15,000 dollars back that he donated, and he is threatening to sue.
Interesting. Wonder if this will go anywhere. Kind of a wimpy sit-in.

May 09, 2017, 10:41:54 AM
Reply #80

UB92

• Information
  • Position Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 09, 2017, 10:41:54 AM »
Where is the piece that says the school know the cuts were coming for six years now?   

Or is it the more vague "We've been evaluating various approaches to cost reduction for many years and some were implemented in the past...the cutting of the four programs was just an outgrowth of continuing cost reduction.  We had not made a final decision about those four programs until they were announced on April 1".

The State University of New York. 

Blue. White. Damn Right.

May 09, 2017, 11:05:38 AM
Reply #81

admin

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #81 on: May 09, 2017, 11:05:38 AM »
Oh boy.  This looks like a problem.

May 09, 2017, 12:00:40 PM
Reply #82

verandaman

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 09, 2017, 12:00:40 PM »
Handled well.................an irritant; handled poorly, a problem.  This should be fun to watch ADAG et al stick handle.
"The more you know, the more you know you don't know" - Aristotle

May 09, 2017, 10:32:32 PM
Reply #83

UB85

• Information
  • All MAC Performer
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 09, 2017, 10:32:32 PM »
UB will be sued over dropping men's swimming. An atty alum is suing to get a refund on contributions made and simultaneously attempting to reverse decision on axing men's swimming. Apparently this action was under consideration for five years with absolutely zero outreach to people who might step and help with funding specific sports such as men's swimming. While many of our facilities are substandard our swimming and diving aquatics center is state of the art which makes getting rid of a swim team plain dumb! Here's the article.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/05/09/ub-swimming-alumni-rallying-cut-program-lawsuit-planned/

This also gets back to my point above re field house. I've donated money for that project for nderstsnfing that the field house was for the football team and not the general student population. To put it mildly I am not happy.