Author Topic: Montell McRae - 2017 JUCO Commit  (Read 426 times)

April 25, 2017, 02:23:53 PM
Read 426 times

BasketBull

• Information
  • Position Coach
  • BU--FF--AL--O--GO
    • View Profile
Montell McRae - 2017 JUCO Commit
« on: April 25, 2017, 02:23:53 PM »
Jeff Goodman is reporting that UB has picked up a new commit from Montell McRae, a 6'9 F from South Plains Community College

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/montell-mcrae

Had a host of offers out of high school (Cleveland Central Catholic), only offers as a JUCO were from Chattanooga and Texas-Rio Grande Valley

2 years of eligibility I think? Didn't get many minutes in JUCO. Looks like a depth forward signing, kind of reminds me of Kadiri.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 01:38:30 PM by admin »

April 25, 2017, 05:39:18 PM
Reply #1

trueblue32

• Information
  • Prospect
    • View Profile
Re: Montell McRae
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 05:39:18 PM »
While he didn't play a ton of minutes, he started on his team which was #1 in JUCO for a good part of the year and ended up losing in the national semis before winning the 3rd place game.  His team was mostly all D1 talent so I'm not too worried about the minutes, I think he'll end up being a lot better than Kadiri.  For what it's worth the best JUCO recruiting site lists McRae as the #58 JUCO recruit this year and Blake was #64, Willie was #84 and Kadiri was unranked by the same website 2 years ago.  The youtube videos below are from high school but it looks like he brings about the same athleticism as Kadiri but he also looks to be more comfortable handling the ball and he's got a 3 point shot, and I'm sure he's improved in the last 2 years while playing at such a high level of JUCO.  He'll probably be overlooked in this class since he's the late signee and all the other recruits have so many accolades but I think he's gonna be an exciting player that fits very well in our uptempo system.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 05:44:05 PM by trueblue32 »

April 25, 2017, 06:43:30 PM
Reply #2

Kevin

• Information
  • First Year Starter
  • UB Basketball Die Hard ('06 - Present)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 06:43:30 PM »
Did we figure out where we got the scholarship from?

Wes Clark?

If he's really coming up here as a walk-on to start at PG and paying NYS out of state tuition, Oats is a God.

April 25, 2017, 09:01:57 PM
Reply #3

McBulls

• Information
  • Verbal Commit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 09:01:57 PM »
If Verbal Commits lists Clark as a walk-on than my guess is that's where our last scholarship came from.

I think McRae is a great get- mobile, more versatile offensively than Kadiri, but similar in that he can run the floor. Agree that he looks better off the dribble and from the outside than Kadiri. I feel much better about our depth in the post now.

With Akron and Ohio's transfers, I think we're in the driver seat in the East next year.

April 27, 2017, 01:38:12 PM
Reply #4

admin

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 01:38:12 PM »
Just looking back to 2 years ago.  I think we all thought Bryan Hodgson got this job to make sure O'Field would also stick.  Well, after 2 years, I think we can safely conclude we were all wrong and that he has been just a huge get for Oats.

He lost O'Field, but brought Hamilton, Conner and Kadiri.  Hamilton and Conner were really good pickups.  Kadiri was ok.

Jeremy Harris on paper is one of the best recruits UB has had.

Montell McRae looks to be a pretty good signing.  I hope he can be a little more impactful than Kadiri was.