October 18, 2017, 11:35:52 AM
Read 1755 times

ubbulls98

• Information
  • Signed Recruit
    • View Profile
QB1??
« on: October 18, 2017, 11:35:52 AM »
Little help here, do we know who's starting at QB this Saturday?

October 18, 2017, 12:29:01 PM
Reply #1

bowz

• Information
  • Redshirt Freshman
    • View Profile
Re: QB1??
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 12:29:01 PM »
Game notes state Kyle Vantrease followed by Dominic Johnson....

http://www.ubbulls.com/sports/fball/2017-18/files/2017_Gamenotes_Miami.pdf

October 18, 2017, 12:54:12 PM
Reply #2

admin

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 12:54:12 PM »
Coaches probably didn't want to burn his redshirt year but faced a tough choice during the game.  Now that it's burned, I would assume we can still redshirt him next year right?

October 18, 2017, 03:03:21 PM
Reply #3

BrooklynBull

• Information
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 03:03:21 PM »
Coaches probably didn't want to burn his redshirt year but faced a tough choice during the game.  Now that it's burned, I would assume we can still redshirt him next year right?

First there is no such thing as "burning a redshirt year".  All students are allowed five years from the first enroll full time at either a community college or four year institution to play a sport for four seasons. (If the student enters the military or performs a mission such as the Mormons do at BYU those years do not count against the five year time frame.  Although most redshirt years in football are the first year enrolled in a school they can be at time while a student.

The term redshirt comes from allowing a 5th year to play when a student was injured, probably getting the name from the red cross.  It also goes back to when people graduated in four years but were unable to play because of injury.  The practice has become abused so much that we now have to deal with the phrases true freshman and fifth year senior.

October 18, 2017, 04:18:37 PM
Reply #4

ukbro00

• Information
  • All MAC Performer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 04:18:37 PM »

First there is no such thing as "burning a redshirt year".  All students are allowed five years from the first enroll full time at either a community college or four year institution to play a sport for four seasons. (If the student enters the military or performs a mission such as the Mormons do at BYU those years do not count against the five year time frame.  Although most redshirt years in football are the first year enrolled in a school they can be at time while a student.

The term redshirt comes from allowing a 5th year to play when a student was injured, probably getting the name from the red cross.  It also goes back to when people graduated in four years but were unable to play because of injury.  The practice has become abused so much that we now have to deal with the phrases true freshman and fifth year senior.

In short, yes we can redshirt him next year. I'm not sure how the history of the term or your lack of liking it, relates to the original question.
Winner of the 2011 UBFan NCAA Bracket Challenge

October 18, 2017, 06:36:05 PM
Reply #5

rma

• Information
  • All Rookie Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 06:36:05 PM »
The first redshirt was actually from a player that wanted to practice with the team, but wanted to wait until the upperclassmen graduated to use his eligibility.  The term red shirt came from the team that this player was on, the Nebraska Cornhuskers, having red uniforms.  His did not have numbers on it.  A red shirt.

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=944901
http://usatodayhss.com/2017/what-does-it-mean-to-be-a-blue-shirt-recruit
So, thunder through, Go Blue! Give a Cheer, never fear!

October 23, 2017, 07:28:52 PM
Reply #6

UB92

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 07:28:52 PM »
 Board's dead...

Any update on QB1 or QB2?
The State University of New York. 

Blue. White. Damn Right.

October 24, 2017, 08:51:08 PM
Reply #7

zigo230

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 08:51:08 PM »
Drew Anderson’s Instagram page shows him in a hospital bed with a gown on hooked up to an IV. I dont imagine we will see him playing anytime soon. Unfortunately.

October 24, 2017, 09:32:18 PM
Reply #8

rma

• Information
  • All Rookie Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 09:32:18 PM »
Vantrease #1 on the depth chart

Tyree still out it looks

Sad
So, thunder through, Go Blue! Give a Cheer, never fear!

October 25, 2017, 08:20:26 AM
Reply #9

myBuffalo

• Information
  • All MAC Performer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2017, 08:20:26 AM »
Drew Anderson’s Instagram page shows him in a hospital bed with a gown on hooked up to an IV. I dont imagine we will see him playing anytime soon. Unfortunately.

What kind of surgery does he need? This is crazy, how are we supposed to know what's going on? Has there been any medical updates, any Bflo News updates? We have had no definitely diagnosis for Tyree - at least a body part, no medical update for Drew - why are we kept in the dark about these things?
Lets Go Buffalo!

October 25, 2017, 08:59:44 AM
Reply #10

BrooklynBull

• Information
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2017, 08:59:44 AM »

What kind of surgery does he need? This is crazy, how are we supposed to know what's going on? Has there been any medical updates, any Bflo News updates? We have had no definitely diagnosis for Tyree - at least a body part, no medical update for Drew - why are we kept in the dark about these things?

HIPAA.

November 08, 2017, 12:44:49 PM
Reply #11

zigo230

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2017, 12:44:49 PM »
Do you guys think we've seen the last of Drew Anderson in a Bulls uniform?  Assuming he makes a full recovery, he probably deserves to be starting somewhere in his final year(s) of eligibility based on performance.  It will not be here with Tyree as the future. 

I know nothing about his situation so just throwing it out there....

November 08, 2017, 12:55:18 PM
Reply #12

ubbulls98

• Information
  • Signed Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2017, 12:55:18 PM »
Am I wrong to think here...he's still on the team, he's still a member of the team.  Regardless of playing time, along with a ton of other players, he made a commitment to the team.  I'm not naive that it doesn't happen elsewhere several times over, but to think this is flat out his last year because Tyree is the starter, seems more unlikely than likely.

November 08, 2017, 01:41:40 PM
Reply #13

verandaman

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2017, 01:41:40 PM »
I haven't taken the time to check out the history, but if he (Drew) has already used his redshirt, and he transfers after this year, he will have to sit out, unless he goes FCS.  Now if he hasn't already used his redshirt, he could transfer, sit a year, and then play.  Or, if he is a graduate transfer he could move and play next year.
I hope Drew and Tyree are afforded a legitimate (I backed off the caps, but you get my point) QB competition next spring.  May the best man win, if so!  If Lance is in love with Tyree, I trust he will have the integrity to tell Drew.
"The more you know, the more you know you don't know" - Aristotle

November 08, 2017, 04:50:29 PM
Reply #14

BrooklynBull

• Information
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2017, 04:50:29 PM »
Am I wrong to think here...he's still on the team, he's still a member of the team.  Regardless of playing time, along with a ton of other players, he made a commitment to the team.  I'm not naive that it doesn't happen elsewhere several times over, but to think this is flat out his last year because Tyree is the starter, seems more unlikely than likely.

He has only one year of eligibility left after this season.  He played one year at a JUCO plus 2016 and 2017 at UB.  Given his experience is a few games it is unlikely that he would be that much of a draw for another FBS school to play in 2019.