Author Topic: Great Idea  (Read 1003 times)

November 08, 2017, 10:25:08 AM
Read 1003 times

verandaman

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
Great Idea
« on: November 08, 2017, 10:25:08 AM »
In our quest to get to all FBS stadiums, (well, my quest actually.....Dar indulges me), we ended up in Laramie, WY last weekend.  You no doubt have seen the clips that label that game the Snow Bowl; and it did indeed snow, and snow, and....

Just prior to the start of the game, if was raining reasonably heavily.  Cold and wet: not exact tailgate weather......except!!

University of Wyoming did something I thought was very cool.  They use the indoor football practice facility (beside War Memorial Stadium) to host a pre-game tailgate.  They had a local band playing; the had sponsors inside giving away swag; they had a bar (yup, beer!); they had a play area for the kids; a kiosk from the bookstore for sports clothing; etc.

The place was packed!  So instead of standing out in the rain, a bunch of people gathered indoors and partied together.  What a great use for a field house.

I got thinking about this last night as we were tailgating at UB prior to the game, and could see the absence of bleachers and progress on the site for UB's field house.  I am hopeful the brain trust at UB sees the broader potential (using the new facility) for fan engagement, and making the pre-game a fun, safe and warm experience.  Maybe they could even experiment and sell beer at the pre-game, as an additional revenue generator.

Good win last night!  Go Bulls! 
"The more you know, the more you know you don't know" - Aristotle

November 08, 2017, 09:32:39 PM
Reply #1

rma

• Information
  • All Rookie Team
    • View Profile
Re: Great Idea
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 09:32:39 PM »
I think we did something similar during the Idaho Potato bowl, but I don't know how much of the general public was involved in that.  I think it would be great for UB to do that.

In our quest to get to all FBS stadiums, (well, my quest actually.....Dar indulges me), we ended up in Laramie, WY last weekend.
I'm working on that too, though I suspect I'm much further behind than you are.  Seen 29/130 FBS teams in 12/130 stadiums.

Might be able to get down to under 100 for stadiums next year if there's a bunch of weekday games in August/September.
So, thunder through, Go Blue! Give a Cheer, never fear!

November 09, 2017, 10:11:47 AM
Reply #2

verandaman

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 10:11:47 AM »
Glad I'm not the only one crazy enough to want to get to all FBS stadiums :-)  It has become a wonderful hobby/interest that has allowed Dar and I to travel; see so much of America; meet so many wonderful people!

I start out years ago on my "quest".  I was lucky to get to a few stadiums in any given year; some years it was only one stadium.  Now that I am retired I am blessed to have the health, companionship, time and fewer demands on my finances......we get to several stadiums every year now.

We even made it to the Kibbie Dome this year in Moscow, ID.  It won't be FBS next year, but we were there while they were still in the FBS/Sun Belt!

To your comment on the Potato Bowl.......if the Field House there was used for some social function, it must have been closed to the public.  I was at the Potato Bowl in 2013, and I had to settle for local micro breweries as my source of entertainment :-)
"The more you know, the more you know you don't know" - Aristotle

November 09, 2017, 12:09:04 PM
Reply #3

ChubbyHubby

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
  • WILL YOU CONSIDER HELPING OUT?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 12:09:04 PM »
And, Red and I were fortunate enough to join V-Man at a local establishment before the game.  We even had a local guy buy us a cold one, and implore us to beat SDSU.  We couldn't get that done, but we did enjoy the local brew.
PLEASE CONSIDER DONATING TO MY RIDE FOR ROSWELL
Ask me how you can help out.