As of 8/24/2018, this site has been archived. Please visit http://www.ubfan.com for the new site
THIS SITE IS READ ONLY

Author Topic: Bowl Announcement  (Read 4202 times)

December 03, 2017, 08:38:11 PM
Reply #15

verandaman

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
Re: Bowl Announcement
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2017, 08:38:11 PM »
Very disappointed, I will say first.

Dar and I just got back from Conway, SC and watching the FBS (Sun Belt) first year Coastal Carolina Chanticleers beat the Georgia Southern Eagles.  CCSU ends the year 3-9; GSU ends the year 2-10.  What was noteworthy was the GSU crowd at the game.  They would have travelled 361 kms (225 miles for you guys) to watch their 2-9 team play another 2-9 team!

We've been to games at Kent State (3 Hrs 30 mins from Buffalo....211 miles), Akron (3 Hrs and 27 mins from Buffalo), Penn State (4 Hours and 200 miles from Buffalo), and never, I repeat never, have we seen half as many UB fans show up for a game on the road as we just saw GSU fans (2-9 going in) at CCSU (2-9 going in)!

Maybe, just maybe, if Buffalo demonstrated a willingness to travel a bit better, with multiple times as many alumni compared to GSU and others, UB would get a more favorable look in close bowl bids.

Or maybe I'm just full of bologna.......speaking of which, I had a great Bologna Sandwich (Dar grimaced) at The Bowery in Myrtle Beach.  They advertise.....warm beer, bad food, grumpy service....none of which are true by the way.  Alabama (the musicians, not the football team) got their start there playing for tips!

"The more you know, the more you know you don't know" - Aristotle

December 03, 2017, 11:33:17 PM
Reply #16

admin

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2017, 11:33:17 PM »
Yes I agree. In the end, I hate to say it but it was the lack of fan support. It’s all about how many fans will show? And the game in which we clinched a bowl game, the stands were bare. That’s not a good look to the committee.

December 03, 2017, 11:37:11 PM
Reply #17

rma

• Information
  • All Rookie Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2017, 11:37:11 PM »
Georgia Southern has had a tremendous amount of success both at FCS and FBS levels.  I suspect part of why they travel so well is because they are having a down year, but are usually very good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Georgia_Southern_Eagles_football_seasons
So, thunder through, Go Blue! Give a Cheer, never fear!

December 04, 2017, 01:45:16 PM
Reply #18

clodney

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2017, 01:45:16 PM »
Hate to break it to our clueless Athletic Department but nobody cares that we had one of the best receivers in the lowly MAC, nobody cares that we LOST a 7OT game to WMU, and nobody thinks we're one of the "Hottest Teams in the Country" because we won our last 3 games against 2-10 Ball State, 2-10 BGSU, and an Ohio team with nothing to play for. The Bowl Committees only care about butts in seats and TV ratings, two things we didn't exactly excel at this season. If a bowl game was THAT important to us we should have put our money where our mouth was and guaranteed a huge ticket allotment. That's the only thing that would have gotten their attention.
"Don’t give me that WNY is getting favorable treatment here. WNY was getting screwed for years and this bill does very little to equalize things. We don’t want to hold back SB/BU & UA but UB has been working on 2020 for 5 years. Don’t say, ‘Because you’re at the finish line you have to wait for us'"

December 04, 2017, 02:35:58 PM
Reply #19

admin

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2017, 02:35:58 PM »
Just saw this on the Bulls site.  It's a letter from the AD.
http://ubbulls.com/sports/fball/2017-18/releases/20171203pl90yx
Not sure I can fault the Athletics Department here.  They just don't have the funding or fan support that some other programs have. 

Next year will be key.  I really hope that there's excitement for the program.  I think us fans really didn't trust this team this whole year.  Maybe it was that we didn't trust Leipold, maybe apprehensive from past failures, but the fans weren't all in.  Maybe things turn out differently if it we win that Army game early in the year. 

Next year will be key.
Does anyone know if we are allowed to practice even though we did not make a Bowl?

December 04, 2017, 11:12:23 PM
Reply #20

BrooklynBull

• Information
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2017, 11:12:23 PM »
Just saw this on the Bulls site.  It's a letter from the AD.
http://ubbulls.com/sports/fball/2017-18/releases/20171203pl90yx
Not sure I can fault the Athletics Department here.  They just don't have the funding or fan support that some other programs have. 

Next year will be key.  I really hope that there's excitement for the program.  I think us fans really didn't trust this team this whole year.  Maybe it was that we didn't trust Leipold, maybe apprehensive from past failures, but the fans weren't all in.  Maybe things turn out differently if it we win that Army game early in the year. 

Next year will be key.
Does anyone know if we are allowed to practice even though we did not make a Bowl?

They were able to practice until the time they found out they were not invited.  So that got an extra week of practice in.

December 04, 2017, 11:28:11 PM
Reply #21

121Merrimac

• Information
  • Redshirt Freshman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2017, 11:28:11 PM »
BS. 

Every team got to practice until they were not invited to a bowl, right?  Then, UB did not get an extra week of practice, did they?

December 04, 2017, 11:50:29 PM
Reply #22

BrooklynBull

• Information
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2017, 11:50:29 PM »
BS. 

Every team got to practice until they were not invited to a bowl, right?  Then, UB did not get an extra week of practice, did they?

You had to be bowl eligible.  If you were not bowl eligible practice was over until the spring.  If they were not eligible they would not have been able to practice after the Ohio game.

December 04, 2017, 11:54:03 PM
Reply #23

121Merrimac

• Information
  • Redshirt Freshman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2017, 11:54:03 PM »
BS. 

You had to be bowl eligible.  If you were not bowl eligible practice was over until the spring.  If they were not eligible they would not have been able to practice after the Ohio game.

My apologies.  Thanks for the clarification.

December 05, 2017, 09:46:30 PM
Reply #24

121Merrimac

• Information
  • Redshirt Freshman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2017, 09:46:30 PM »

So, the 5-7 teams that went to bowl games the past couple years couldn't practice the week after their last regular season game, and before they were invited to a bowl game?  Brutal.

December 06, 2017, 01:23:52 AM
Reply #25

BrooklynBull

• Information
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2017, 01:23:52 AM »

So, the 5-7 teams that went to bowl games the past couple years couldn't practice the week after their last regular season game, and before they were invited to a bowl game?  Brutal.

The 5-7 teams are ranked by APR.  So if they were three teams short the three top APR teams could practice.

December 08, 2017, 11:46:50 AM
Reply #26

zigo230

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2017, 11:46:50 AM »
So i guess for the Bulls to make a Bowl in 2018 they need to shoot for 7 wins because 6 was definitely not the magic number.  When it's a MAC team, they look for reasons to keep em out not positives to pull them in. 

All in all I thought Leipold and his staff did a great job this year.  Huge improvements on both sides of the ball. Better athletes, better depth.  They could not do anything about having two very good QB's go down mid-season.   Hoping for continued improvement in 2018!

December 09, 2017, 03:48:11 PM
Reply #27

nyquil

• Information
  • All MAC Performer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2017, 03:48:11 PM »
All in all I thought Leipold and his staff did a great job this year.  Huge improvements on both sides of the ball. Better athletes, better depth.  They could not do anything about having two very good QB's go down mid-season.   Hoping for continued improvement in 2018!

Without those injuries this team in 8-4.

All in all, the Army loss screwed this team out of a bowl bid.
Blow up Ohio.

This site is READ ONLY