Author Topic: Thoughts on Bucky's Latest Article  (Read 4622 times)

January 27, 2018, 10:05:32 PM
Reply #15

UB77

• Information
  • Redshirt Freshman
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on Bucky's Latest Article
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2018, 10:05:32 PM »
Nicely done. Thanks

January 29, 2018, 05:50:30 PM
Reply #16

dutchcountry7

• Information
  • Verbal Commit
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2018, 05:50:30 PM »

Football Attendance 16,13,16,15,12,18 -> That's not a strong positive trend, that's one decent-ish year. Further if you look at that year the Season opener against Stony Brook drew 21K, the other games were meh.... 

Yes, if you go outside of those three years to add more data, you will find it is cyclical.  Which is my point.  White rode a cycle where the program was up. 

You want to cherry-pick games to single out?  How about the 2014 season.  20k turned out to watch Duquesne play the Bulls in a game that didn't even count for bowl eligibility because Duquesne doesn't offer enough scholarships.  Or the second FCS team the Bulls played--Norfolk State--that brought in 21k fans.  You cite these are big wins for the program, right? 

White must be a genius, you say.

Well, I like to look at all the missed opportunities, which I saw many come from White.  How about that same season.  Hosting the #8 team in the country at home.  A Baylor that is in it's prime with all the country watching them.  A team that didn't stumble and won the Big 12 Championship for the second consecutive season.  How does UB fumble the game so much that there is only 24k--just slightly more than Norfolk State in attendance? 

Do you know how rare it is to get a home FBS football game against a top-10 team?

That game was not scheduled by White, but it was squandered by White.  Which was what I recognized happened a lot with him.  He was great at promoting himself, not the school.

In case you forget the time Buffalo hosted #8 Baylor, just three years ago, here is a look at the crowd of 24k.

You can compare that to the Duquesne (partial scholarship program) game with 20k fans just two weeks earlier:

The 2014 season saw an uptick in attendance because the Bulls were coming off their second ever bowl game.  People got into the team again.  It wasn't like you can credit White with that bowl run.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 05:54:41 PM by dutchcountry7 »

January 30, 2018, 08:24:10 AM
Reply #17

verandaman

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2018, 08:24:10 AM »
Assuming a mid week (Wednesday) game in mid November draws less than the average crowd, then the 2014 average numbers are skewed, owing to the infamous Kent State equipment truck.  My guess is that had that game been played, aside from UB becoming bowl eligible, attendance would have materially lower.
On the other hand, considering how some of us sat through games where attendance announced was likely double the number of bums in seats, perhaps not.
"The more you know, the more you know you don't know" - Aristotle

February 04, 2018, 01:20:59 AM
Reply #18

Bull_In_Exile

• Information
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
    • Bull Run
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2018, 01:20:59 AM »

Football Attendance 16,13,16,15,12,18 -> That's not a strong positive trend, that's one decent-ish year. Further if you look at that year the Season opener against Stony Brook drew 21K, the other games were meh.... 

Yes, if you go outside of those three years to add more data, you will find it is cyclical.  Which is my point.  White rode a cycle where the program was up.

What part of "not a positive trend" did you not understand... FFS man, I even drew you a picture!

The 2014 season saw an uptick in attendance because the Bulls were coming off their second ever bowl game.

Then tell me why, cupcake, 2009 was so low, after coming off our first.
"I will play fullback in the next game and I’ll have a gun with me. The first Buffalo man who shows yellow, I’ll drop." -- Coach Turk Gordon

http://www.ubbullrun.com/ - A UB Football and Basketball Blog
"Is there a year

February 25, 2018, 12:13:07 AM
Reply #19

promotherobot

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2018, 12:13:07 AM »
What is it about WNY that makes it hate ambition?

May 25, 2018, 07:44:00 PM
Reply #20

RecoveringHillbilly

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2018, 07:44:00 PM »
Bucky tweeted he asked for his release from the BN. No more FB/hockey hit pieces, thankfully. Overwise best of luck to him.

May 26, 2018, 05:24:00 PM
Reply #21

BrooklynBull

• Information
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2018, 05:24:00 PM »
Bucky tweeted he asked for his release from the BN. No more FB/hockey hit pieces, thankfully. Overwise best of luck to him.

He did not ask for a release.  He accepted a buyout.  Buyouts are announced by newspapers all the time.  Staff makes a request to be get the buyout and depending on other factors they may or may not get it.

https://twitter.com/ByBuckyGleason/status/1000028962372902912

May 26, 2018, 06:31:35 PM
Reply #22

squire17

• Information
  • All Rookie Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2018, 06:31:35 PM »
I know that a lot of people here can’t stand Bucky, but I always enjoyed his commentary and will miss his observations, style, and wit. Good luck in your next gig, Bucky!

May 29, 2018, 11:59:21 AM
Reply #23

UB85

• Information
  • All MAC Performer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2018, 11:59:21 AM »
Not only is Bucky out the TBN door, but Jerry Sullivan is on the way out or out already. TBN is a sinking ship. The net effect of these departures is that there will be less coverage of college athletics, UB in particular, as well as all other non Bills and Sabres sports. Like them or not, this is bad for UB and all of WNY.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 12:32:09 PM by UB85 »

May 29, 2018, 04:58:03 PM
Reply #24

BasketBull

• Information
  • Position Coach
  • BU--FF--AL--O--GO
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2018, 04:58:03 PM »
Not only is Bucky out the TBN door, but Jerry Sullivan is on the way out or out already. TBN is a sinking ship. The net effect of these departures is that there will be less coverage of college athletics, UB in particular, as well as all other non Bills and Sabres sports. Like them or not, this is bad for UB and all of WNY.

Agreed. Never a good sign when local writers are either jumping ship or getting bought out. I'd rather have opinions to read that I disagree with than no coverage at all.

May 30, 2018, 09:44:04 AM
Reply #25

clodney

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2018, 09:44:04 AM »
Couldn't disagree more. This is not a case of "there's no such thing as bad publicity". Bucky Gleason single-handedly attempted to disembowel our football program for years and his hit pieces shaped the minds of every casual observer in WNY. He did nothing to support any of our programs since he was only audible during times of duress. He was a cancer to UB athletics and I'm glad as hell that they removed him from his soapbox.
"Don’t give me that WNY is getting favorable treatment here. WNY was getting screwed for years and this bill does very little to equalize things. We don’t want to hold back SB/BU & UA but UB has been working on 2020 for 5 years. Don’t say, ‘Because you’re at the finish line you have to wait for us'"

May 30, 2018, 11:13:51 AM
Reply #26

BrooklynBull

• Information
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2018, 11:13:51 AM »
Couldn't disagree more. This is not a case of "there's no such thing as bad publicity". Bucky Gleason single-handedly attempted to disembowel our football program for years and his hit pieces shaped the minds of every casual observer in WNY. He did nothing to support any of our programs since he was only audible during times of duress. He was a cancer to UB athletics and I'm glad as hell that they removed him from his soapbox.

That was not his job.  He had a column and gave his opinion.  He was not at the paper to be part of the UB publicity team.

May 30, 2018, 01:00:01 PM
Reply #27

UB85

• Information
  • All MAC Performer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2018, 01:00:01 PM »

Agreed. Never a good sign when local writers are either jumping ship or getting bought out. I'd rather have opinions to read that I disagree with than no coverage at all.

They are not being replaced. I am a TBN subscriber. I read the paper every day. Many articles that appear in the sports section are now done by "staff." A friend of mine is an editor at the news. He paints a very bleak picture of what is happening and where the paper is going. They will still cover the bills/sabres wall to wall, but won't have coverage for a lot of high school/college sports thereby perpetuating and enhancing the Bucky line, "this is a Bills/Sabres sports town", but not much else.

May 30, 2018, 01:22:04 PM
Reply #28

ChubbyHubby

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
  • WILL YOU CONSIDER HELPING OUT?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2018, 01:22:04 PM »

That was not his job.  He had a column and gave his opinion.  He was not at the paper to be part of the UB publicity team.
While I agree with you Brook, as far as not being UB publicity team.  It's unfortunate that he made it his job to cram his opinion down our throats, much more so than actually reporting on our teams.
PLEASE CONSIDER DONATING TO MY RIDE FOR ROSWELL
Ask me how you can help out.

May 30, 2018, 02:22:20 PM
Reply #29

BrooklynBull

• Information
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2018, 02:22:20 PM »

While I agree with you Brook, as far as not being UB publicity team.  It's unfortunate that he made it his job to cram his opinion down our throats, much more so than actually reporting on our teams.

The difference between a columnist and a beat reporter.