As of 8/24/2018, this site has been archived. Please visit http://www.ubfan.com for the new site
THIS SITE IS READ ONLY

Author Topic: 2018 - 2019 Roster - Looking Forward  (Read 3879 times)

March 26, 2018, 11:03:29 PM
Read 3879 times

Kevin

• Information
  • All Rookie Team
  • UB Basketball Die Hard ('06 - Present)
    • View Profile
2018 - 2019 Roster - Looking Forward
« on: March 26, 2018, 11:03:29 PM »
Seeing as this did well last year time to bring back the 2018-2019 depth chart thread

Let's take a look at the roster:

PG) Davonta Jordan/Dontay Caruthers/Ronaldo Segu
SG) C.J. Massinburg/Jayvon Graves
W) Jeremy Harris/ Jeenathan Williams
PF) Nick Perkins/Tra'von Fagan
C)  Montell McRae/Brock Bertram

Sr dependent, 5 seniors will be in the top 6.  What a crazy deep team.

Obviously Jeenathan is our big fish four star, he could sneak in the starting lineup alongside Harris and Perkins, a bit small of a lineup, but so talented.

Segu could also take the PG spot before the end of the season.

Very deep at guard, dangerously so. Lots of issues at forward when Perkins gets into foul trouble. Almost can't come off the bench anymore.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 04:31:20 PM by Kevin »

March 27, 2018, 07:55:18 AM
Reply #1

fosterclogfear

• Information
  • Prospect
    • View Profile
Re: 2018 - 2019 Roster - Looking Forward
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 07:55:18 AM »
I definitely expect word on a big soon. I have to agree that JUCO is more likely for immediate help. Wouldn't be shocked by a grad transfer, but it would have to be someone that won't come in and rock the boat. Gotta be careful.

March 27, 2018, 12:32:24 PM
Reply #2

guru

• Information
  • Signed Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 12:32:24 PM »
We definitely could use some help in the middle. McCrea does not seem to be a strong, defensive presence at all and the big question is how much Bertram will improve. He does seem to have a good basketball IQ and we have seen players improve from one year to the next. If we could land a big JUCO player or grad transfer for next year that would be a big plus. With our success and more national exposure maybe we will have a better chance of landing a better quality big man. Time will tell. Go Bulls!!!

March 27, 2018, 02:27:40 PM
Reply #3

admin

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 02:27:40 PM »
I think Jeenathan will need to start at forward.
Not sure what his exact height is, different places have it ranging from 6-4 to 6-6.
So if he's 6-5, he's a undersized for Power Forward.  But he looks to be built pretty well up top.

I think we go with 2PGs playing all the time.  If not, we need to redshirt and save Segu.  Redshirting rarely happens so I doubt it.
So our lineup might be
PG
PG
SG
SF
PF

Maybe Bertram plays well.  He was a pretty decent recruit when we signed him. 

March 28, 2018, 12:33:03 PM
Reply #4

mikescherrer8

• Information
  • Signed Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 12:33:03 PM »
Not sure what his exact height is, different places have it ranging from 6-4 to 6-6.
So if he's 6-5, he's a undersized for Power Forward.  But he looks to be built pretty well up top.

I believe he's roughly 6'6" - 6'7". I saw a mixtape video of some of his highlights saying he's 6'8" but who knows.

March 28, 2018, 12:53:20 PM
Reply #5

Bull_In_Exile

• Information
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
    • Bull Run
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 12:53:20 PM »
I'm hoping Brock steps up... Great height if the S&C coaches can coax a little more athleticism out of him he will fit the role perfectly.
"I will play fullback in the next game and I’ll have a gun with me. The first Buffalo man who shows yellow, I’ll drop." -- Coach Turk Gordon

http://www.ubbullrun.com/ - A UB Football and Basketball Blog
"Is there a year

March 28, 2018, 03:10:51 PM
Reply #6

Kevin

• Information
  • All Rookie Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 03:10:51 PM »

I believe he's roughly 6'6" - 6'7". I saw a mixtape video of some of his highlights saying he's 6'8" but who knows.

I see 6-5/5-6 max. He basically will take Harris' role after he leaves, and 6th man next year, imo.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/224333/jeenathan-williams-jr

March 28, 2018, 04:39:30 PM
Reply #7

admin

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 04:39:30 PM »
I think you might be right about Jeenathan Williams becoming that 6th man.  Mainly because if we go with a 2PG lineup as I suggested, then Massingburg  or Harris would need to goto the bench.  I don't think that's happening.

So our lineup will probably look like this.

PG - Jordan, Caruthers, Hamlet or Segu (I would think it matters which 2 point guards go well together, which one can score, play off the ball, defend)
PG - Jordan, Caruthers, Hamlet or Segu
SG - Massingburg
SF - Jeremy Harris
F - Perkins

Then as backups:
SG - Jayvon Graves (he needs to play), Reese (He might surprise, but we're so deep at guard)
SF - Jeenathan Williams (Maybe he gets 6th man minutes and plays a lot)
F - McRae and Bertram

Man, we're pretty stacked.  How do we get minutes for everyone.

March 28, 2018, 07:35:25 PM
Reply #8

121Merrimac

• Information
  • Redshirt Freshman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 07:35:25 PM »
... Man, we're pretty stacked.  How do we get minutes for everyone.

I haven't checked, but when was the last season where the projected starters stayed healthy the entire season? 
Unfortunately, there's a reasonable chance that the projected 2nd string will get more minutes than the fans currently project.
Being stacked is not just good, it's almost required of a winning team.  Getting everyone to buy into their roles will always be key.

March 29, 2018, 02:52:31 AM
Reply #9

MDBullsfan89

• Information
  • All MAC Performer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2018, 02:52:31 AM »
... Man, we're pretty stacked.  How do we get minutes for everyone.

I haven't checked, but when was the last season where the projected starters stayed healthy the entire season? 
Unfortunately, there's a reasonable chance that the projected 2nd string will get more minutes than the fans currently project.
Being stacked is not just good, it's almost required of a winning team.  Getting everyone to buy into their roles will always be key.

We were pretty damn lucky with injuries this year. Caruthers made it back in time to be effective when we needed him. May not be as lucky next year but assuming we get another forward to fill that last scholarship, we should have the depth to handle some potential adversity.

March 29, 2018, 04:53:14 AM
Reply #10

MillenniumBull

• Information
  • Redshirt Freshman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2018, 04:53:14 AM »
I think Perkins continues to come off the bench, not sit there long but Bertram or Mcrea will handle the jump and let the guards get the game pace where UB wants it to be.

We should go small ball again, can’t say how quickly Segu will acclimate but I see playing time, Jeenathan should see 15 to 20 min a game, but also off the bench. And I do believe Caruthers starts. I believe the starting five will be McRae, Caruthers, CJ, Harris, and Graves... with Jordan, Perkins and Jeenathan being very early calls off the bench and Bertram getting about 10 a game. That’s already 9 to 10 deep...

Would love to add front court depth, but would like it to be a freshman we can redshirt or an international player who has played against older competitors for years, our guards and forwards have shown they can rebound amongst trees

March 29, 2018, 08:03:05 AM
Reply #11

BasketBull

• Information
  • Position Coach
  • BU--FF--AL--O--GO
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2018, 08:03:05 AM »
We have a very fluid and versatile lineup (with few exceptions, all our guards will be called on to play positions 1-3 at times, small forwards positions 3-4, forwards positions 4-5, then Harris who can play anything 2-4), so it may be more useful to look at minutes played next year rather than depth. It's going to be very difficult to get as much playing time to each person who has earned it.

We have 200 minutes to spend each game. Here would be my targets:

Harris - 32 minutes - I think he should command the most minutes given his scoring ability and versatility

Massinburg - 30 minutes - see: Harris - our two most versatile players are also our best offensive weapons. They should be on the court almost the entire game when possible

Perkins - 28 minutes - Perkins has increased his minute totals every year that he's been here, but I suspect at 27.5 minutes last year we're nearing a plateau given his physical play style and tendency to foul. I don't think we can afford to bring him off the bench unless we bring in a JUCO forward who can play immediately

Jordan - 27 minutes - our best defender & best returning distributor. Hard to believe we still have him for 2 more years. If he develops more of an outside shot he could be an All-MAC 1st team guy. Foul trouble could be the only thing that keeps him from 30 minutes per game.

Caruthers - 20 minutes - just 18 minutes per game last year but in large part due to injury. Like Jordan, minutes could be more limited due to frequency of foul trouble.

Graves - 18 minutes - I really want to give him more minutes than this, but there are just so many good guards on this team. He'll make a huge leap when the seniors graduate next year. He'll be called on to play positions 1-4 at times. He actually guards post players very well even when giving up a lot of size.

Hamlet - 15 minutes - Hamlet is the wild card of the team. A combo guard who had the benefit of working with the team this year and that should pay off with immediate play time.

Williams - 15 minutes - too talented to not play. He's been playing against 3, 4 and 5 star guys all year at Prolific Prep. I have no concerns about his ability to step in and provide valuable minutes at positions 2-4.

That leaves just 15 minutes to split up between McRae, Bertram, Reese and Segu. I honestly don't know how to manage this roster without shorting minutes to a bunch of different guys. Unless we bring our top guys down to closer to 25 minutes per game it's going to be a tall order. A good problem to have but a problem all the same. Our coaches are much better at this than I am at least.

March 31, 2018, 12:43:12 PM
Reply #12

guru

• Information
  • Signed Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2018, 12:43:12 PM »
I think Hamlet could be the wild card. Has shown to be a good assist type player but don't know about his offensive ability. If Williams an Segu can be anywhere on how they have shown on film they should be able to get more playing time than 10/15 minutes. Jordan and Caruthers have to become more comfortable in their roles and show improvement from last season.I don't see much more upside to McCrea's play and the big question will we see any improvement in Bertram. We really need another big man underneath to take some pressure off of Perkins, CJ and Harris. Just an exciting time for UB basketball. Go Bulls!!!!

July 07, 2018, 12:41:10 AM
Reply #13

Kevin

• Information
  • All Rookie Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2018, 12:41:10 AM »
Bump for the final roster moves

July 12, 2018, 07:45:33 AM
Reply #14

BasketBull

• Information
  • Position Coach
  • BU--FF--AL--O--GO
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2018, 07:45:33 AM »
The way I see it, the only thing keeping us from going 11 deep will be not having the minutes to go around. Keeping in mind our style of play and focusing on experience, here's the 5 guys I want to see out on the floor more than anyone else:

G Jordan
G Massinburg
G Caruthers
F Harris
F Perkins

Whether they start together or not, I don't really care. That grouping should average 27-30 minutes per player per game however you want to divide it up. I'm not sure there's anyone in the MAC that can adequately match up to the speed and athleticism of that lineup. Graves should be first off the bench & can slot into any guard spot. Having 2 four star recruits coming off the bench is a luxury that I doubt any MAC school has had in a very long time if ever. If we plan on playing Williams as a similar hybrid 3-4 like how Harris is used then forward depth seems less of a weakness - we'd be able to utilize McRae/Fagan/Bertram in the rotation at 5. Lord knows we have enough capable guards to keep 3 on the court all game.

This site is READ ONLY