Author Topic: Gabe Grant From Houston to UB  (Read 654 times)

July 05, 2018, 04:51:49 PM
Read 654 times

BrooklynBull

• Information
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 04:57:09 PM by BrooklynBull »

July 05, 2018, 04:55:57 PM
Reply #1

UB85

• Information
  • All MAC Performer
    • View Profile
Re: Gabe Grant From Houston to UB
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 04:55:57 PM »

July 05, 2018, 06:30:51 PM
Reply #2

rma

• Information
  • All Rookie Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 06:30:51 PM »
Crazy hypothesis.

Next year is the breakout year (not crazy).  Sweet 16 or whatnot, Oats gets hired away.  CJ, Harris, Perk are all gone from graduation.  Our situation looks bad.

Enter: Grant and Johnson.  Both have a year left of eligibility, practiced with the team for a year.  No point in them transferring for a year after they sat (not sure if they would still have eligibility left).  Gives us a year of momentum so that we don't have to have 5 freshmen (or JUCO newcomers) needing to pick up huge minutes.

Is this Oats stocking the kitchen before leaving?

So, thunder through, Go Blue! Give a Cheer, never fear!

July 05, 2018, 06:38:06 PM
Reply #3

trueblue32

• Information
  • Verbal Commit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 06:38:06 PM »
Crazy hypothesis.

Next year is the breakout year (not crazy).  Sweet 16 or whatnot, Oats gets hired away.  CJ, Harris, Perk are all gone from graduation.  Our situation looks bad.

Enter: Grant and Johnson.  Both have a year left of eligibility, practiced with the team for a year.  No point in them transferring for a year after they sat (not sure if they would still have eligibility left).  Gives us a year of momentum so that we don't have to have 5 freshmen (or JUCO newcomers) needing to pick up huge minutes.

Is this Oats stocking the kitchen before leaving?

If anything it leads me to believe the opposite, on all accounts Nate Oats is a good guy, and it would be a pretty shaqty thing to do to convince these kids to sit out a year to only play one year here and then leave.  It would leave those kids stranded here.  Granted Hodgson seems to do most of the recruiting so if they were more so sold on him and Hodgson stepped into Oats place if he were to leave, then maybe this theory is plausible.

July 07, 2018, 12:38:21 AM
Reply #4

Kevin

• Information
  • All Rookie Team
  • UB Basketball Die Hard ('06 - Present)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2018, 12:38:21 AM »
Super excited for Johnson. MTSU was upset to lose him for a year.

Underrated factor, but need a scholarship this year to be transfers, meaning the current active roster will only have 11 players.

Not excited for Grant. He's had a nothing career and couldn't even sniff the Houston roster, not quite the expectation we are setting here. I'd see a role player in the mold of a Montell McRae.

July 09, 2018, 10:27:10 PM
Reply #5

trueblue32

• Information
  • Verbal Commit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 10:27:10 PM »
Being a JUCO all American is a nothing career? Condemning him to being a role player due to the mins he received on the #18 (kenpom) team in the country is a lazy take. Houston was stacked at guard. Tre'shaun Fletcher only played ~40% of mins at colorado, discount his mins for playing on a worse team, with less positional depth and more experience in the system (3 years vs. 1) and I'd imagine their mins would be similar. I'm not saying I expect him to be Fletcher but there's a lot of room between MAC POY and a role player. Let's trust our coaches have been recruiting well rather than jumping to conclusions.

July 10, 2018, 10:14:38 AM
Reply #6

mikescherrer8

• Information
  • Verbal Commit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 10:14:38 AM »
Being a JUCO all American is a nothing career? Condemning him to being a role player due to the mins he received on the #18 (kenpom) team in the country is a lazy take. Houston was stacked at guard. Tre'shaun Fletcher only played ~40% of mins at colorado, discount his mins for playing on a worse team, with less positional depth and more experience in the system (3 years vs. 1) and I'd imagine their mins would be similar. I'm not saying I expect him to be Fletcher but there's a lot of room between MAC POY and a role player. Let's trust our coaches have been recruiting well rather than jumping to conclusions.

You couldn't have said it any better.