Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Well good for them and Hurley.
2 years ago, I was bitter, but we're all in a better place now.

I'm surprised that Evans is actually starting and scoring all those points.  I thought he would be a sixth man.

I still can't root for ASU.  I don't want Hurley to succeed that much.

I am not convinced if it was not for Hurley we would have made the tournament by now. 

Yes, absolutely this. Plus Oats/Hodgson would not be here if not for Hurley. No telling where we'd be with another coaching staff right now. Of course Hurley's departure left a bitter taste, but we're better off for it and while I won't go out of my way to root for him and ASU, I'm not rooting for them to fail either.
Buffalo Bulls Basketball / Re: Good start for Shannon Evans and Torian graham
« Last post by UB85 on Yesterday at 05:59:33 PM »
Good to see them both do well. Being ranked #5 coming off a win at Kansas ain't too shabby.
« Last post by Jeseph on Yesterday at 05:24:04 PM »
I've never blamed Hurley for leaving, I did not like the way he aggressively gutted our roster.

Thankfully Oats and Co. have done brilliant work to recruit/sustain talent.
He's a RSF. I don't believe you are allowed to activate him under scholarship unless you have one available. It would prevent teams from messing around with sports. What would stop you from using a "soccer" scholarship on another basketball player? If he is under scholarship in general, I believe he counts toward your 13 total.

UB has two openings (James Jones/Quate McKinzie), so I think that's what made this possible. I guess it doesn't really matter either way.

You can see his play here:
http://www.cometbasketball.com/dominic-johnson.html

He has a nice stroke from downtown, lol.

No.  You're wrong.

An athlete can't be a double counter.  One scholarship counts once.  A kid can't have more than one scholarship so they can't have their scholarship count against more than one team.

If a scholarship athlete plays football then they count against football.  If a scholarship athlete competes in basketball, but not football, then the scholarship counts against basketball.  If the athlete competes in ice hockey but not in football or basketball, then the scholarship counts against ice hockey.  Any other sports, the school can decide where the scholarship counts.

Baseball + Football = Football
Basketball + Football = Football
Baseball + Basketball = Basketball
Track + Football = Football
Track + Basketball = Basketball
Baseball + Track = Either Baseball or Track -- Whichever one the school decides to declare.

What stops you from messing around with scholarships? So if Duke wanted another scholarship player, they can use one of their football scholarships if the kid straps on a helmet?

Yes, Duke could give a football scholarship and get a basketball player for it.  But that is the only sport that basketball can do it with.

You can't give the kid a golf scholarship and then have him play basketball and get around the limit.  So football can't skirt the rule at all and basketball can only skirt the rule if a school is willing to take away resources from their football program.

There aren't many schools that are willing to take resources away from football...

That's why I bring up Duke/Kansas/Kentucky/UNC. Those teams lose to mid major teams in football. Why not give one player to your top 4 program?

Because they don't get much utility from a 14th scholarship.  Scholarship limits aren't a big issue for them.  They get one and done players anyways.  It isn't like they need scholarships to develop guys in the program. 

And you're kidding yourself if you think those schools don't care about football.  They do.  They just haven't been as successful as their conference peers.

« Last post by ATL92 on Yesterday at 04:20:26 PM »

I'm surprised that Evans is actually starting and scoring all those points.  I thought he would be a sixth man.

I am happy to see Hurley and Evans both do well.   It does not hurt at all when Buffalo is mentioned as where they crossed paths.   I am not convinced if it was not for Hurley we would have made the tournament by now.   I have no ill will for him nor Turner Gill.   It's the nature of the mid-major business! Recruits can look up to the history of our program and see past success in March. 
He's a RSF. I don't believe you are allowed to activate him under scholarship unless you have one available. It would prevent teams from messing around with sports. What would stop you from using a "soccer" scholarship on another basketball player? If he is under scholarship in general, I believe he counts toward your 13 total.

UB has two openings (James Jones/Quate McKinzie), so I think that's what made this possible. I guess it doesn't really matter either way.

No.  You're wrong.

An athlete can't be a double counter.  One scholarship counts once.  A kid can't have more than one scholarship so they can't have their scholarship count against more than one team.

If a scholarship athlete plays football then they count against football.  If a scholarship athlete competes in basketball, but not football, then the scholarship counts against basketball.  If the athlete competes in ice hockey but not in football or basketball, then the scholarship counts against ice hockey.  Any other sports, the school can decide where the scholarship counts.

Baseball + Track = Either Baseball or Track -- Whichever one the school decides to declare.

What stops you from messing around with scholarships? So if Duke wanted another scholarship player, they can use one of their football scholarships if the kid straps on a helmet?

Yes, Duke could give a football scholarship and get a basketball player for it.  But that is the only sport that basketball can do it with.

You can't give the kid a golf scholarship and then have him play basketball and get around the limit.  So football can't skirt the rule at all and basketball can only skirt the rule if a school is willing to take away resources from their football program.

There aren't many schools that are willing to take resources away from football...

That's why I bring up Duke/Kansas/Kentucky/UNC. Those teams lose to mid major teams in football. Why not give one player to your top 4 program?
« Last post by admin on Yesterday at 02:37:52 PM »

Buffalo Bulls Basketball / Re: Somethng Is Going On In Tempe
« Last post by clodney on Yesterday at 02:01:46 PM »
For those who thought Hurley and Evans II would crash and burn Arizona State they just took down #2 Kansas.  Congrats to both of them and especially Evans II who graduated last spring in four years and is in graduate school.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ncaab/asu/2017/12/10/asu-basketball-kansas-game/938845001/

Nobody said he would crash and burn. We all just wished that he would crash and burn.

No.  You're wrong.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10