FCS fans picking us to lose to Stony Brook
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

FCS fans picking us to lose to Stony Brook
clodney
Offensive Coordinator

View Profile
« on: September 09, 2013, 03:48:51 PM »

I remember a long time ago a player came on here and said that the guys on the team often read some of the stuff we write on ubfan. If this is true I hope they don't waste too much effort reading my crapm, but in the case that they do I thought it would be nice to give them a dose of what the Baylor loss did to their reputation. Perhaps give them some motivation to not come out flat in a game they cannot afford to lose.
Many of the FCS fans think that this week's game against Stony Brook is an easy upset pick. The anygivensaturday website had a pick'em for the CAA and so far their fans have picked 10-7 in favor of Stony Brook winning. They seem fairly confident that they will have a good shot against us. A few of the posts have read:

EWU and Stony Brook are a lock.

I really like Stony Brook and Eastern Washington.

Stony Brook 27 Buffalo 24 : I don't often pick FCS over FBS but I really like SBU in this one...

It's sad that the loss to Baylor automatically dropped us down to FCS level in the eyes of many, but hopefully our team comes out and sets the record straight. BEAT STONY BROOK!

"Don’t give me that WNY is getting favorable treatment here. WNY was getting screwed for years and this bill does very little to equalize things. We don’t want to hold back SB/BU & UA but UB has been working on 2020 for 5 years. Don’t say, ‘Because you’re at the finish line you have to wait for us'"
Bull_In_Exile
Head Coach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 03:56:49 PM »

I remember a long time ago a player came on here and said that the guys on the team often read some of the stuff we write on ubfan. If this is true I hope they don't waste too much effort reading my crapm, but in the case that they do I thought it would be nice to give them a dose of what the Baylor loss did to their reputation. Perhaps give them some motivation to not come out flat in a game they cannot afford to lose.
Many of the FCS fans think that this week's game against Stony Brook is an easy upset pick. The anygivensaturday website had a pick'em for the CAA and so far their fans have picked 10-7 in favor of Stony Brook winning. They seem fairly confident that they will have a good shot against us. A few of the posts have read:

EWU and Stony Brook are a lock.

I really like Stony Brook and Eastern Washington.

Stony Brook 27 Buffalo 24 : I don't often pick FCS over FBS but I really like SBU in this one...

It's sad that the loss to Baylor automatically dropped us down to FCS level in the eyes of many, but hopefully our team comes out and sets the record straight. BEAT STONY BROOK!

http://www.ubbullrun.com/2013/9/9/4709632/get-to-know-stony-brook

Things not to ignore...

Stony Brook is #13 in the FCS
They got fat into the FCS playoffs last year
They Return nearly their entire O-Line
Their Running back is a successful transfer from the Iowa Hawkeyes who I think had off the field issues
Their defense is very opportunistic good tacklers and rather adept at stripping the ball
They have to be amped up for a crack at the only SUNY FBS school, they beat Army last season and took the Orange to the brink.

They are *NOT* to be taken lightly.

Now that being said I think that the way we lost at Baylor makes this game more difficult for Stony Brook. Mack has to be in pre game beast mode hoping to put Waco behind him. Licata and Neutz have proven UB has a deep threat and the tight ends looked good in both games.

Were it not for Quinns Change of pace I think we score 30 or so on Baylor, doind that to Stony Brook should not be hard.

The question is will we actually have a defensive backfield.

"I will play fullback in the next game and I’ll have a gun with me. The first Buffalo man who shows yellow, I’ll drop." -- Coach Turk Gordon

http://www.ubbullrun.com/ - A UB Football and Basketball Blog
"Is there a year
clodney
Offensive Coordinator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 03:59:03 PM »

They got fat into the FCS playoffs last year

Well, that's good news.

I also wanted to say we are the "Best Bet Upset" of week 3 on championsubdivisionnews.com.

"Don’t give me that WNY is getting favorable treatment here. WNY was getting screwed for years and this bill does very little to equalize things. We don’t want to hold back SB/BU & UA but UB has been working on 2020 for 5 years. Don’t say, ‘Because you’re at the finish line you have to wait for us'"
clodney
Offensive Coordinator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 04:07:57 PM »

We struggled to stop the run on them last time and they had 179 yards of rushing offense, however their passing game was pretty anemic and Mack had a big interception/return. I hope we come out ready and don't crap the bed in the first quarter the way we have both games so far this season. Last time we played SBU, Dennison caught a 57-yard TD pass from Chazz on the very first play of the game. Hopefully we come out like that again.

RecoveringHillbilly
Offensive Coordinator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 04:26:55 PM »

I recall the fans on AGS had SBU as a lock against us 2 years ago as well. Funny how after we dominated them there was nary a peep from those same fans. SBU fans on the AE board were really grounded by the results, which is why you see a more cautious tone from them on their current board this time around. They know they aren't Baylor and we aren't like the Army team they beat last season. Our 3 win team lead by soph's pounded their FCS 2nd round team then. Check out our lines vs their depth chart numbers and guess who should be controlling the line each snap once again.

It will be a great day with a little more rivalry. There will be bragging rights between our leadership:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a5pGGIjfLAk
promotherobot
Offensive Coordinator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 12:21:57 AM »

If we lose to SBU Jeff Quinn can just resign during the post game presser.

PTR
verandaman
Offensive Coordinator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 12:36:25 AM »

Ever since we started playing FCS teams, some folks get tummy cramps as we approach the game.  UB has won them all.  UB will win this one.  It is indeed a lock................so much silliness about Stony Brook and their FCS ranking.  UB will win comfortably.

Now, when we get over the inferiority complex, and UB beats SB, the Bulls can turn their mind to a game that can help really make this season....

I have said before, and I will say again, don't feed the trolls.  UB wins.  Period.  Mack, Neutz, Bo.........worried?  Not!

I'm more fussed about what to bring to the tailgate than I am about the score.  Remember, wiser men than me have said, the only poll that counts is the last one!

Go Bulls.............
ubxcretired
Signed Recruit

westo2
View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 07:25:33 AM »

Ever since we started playing FCS teams, some folks get tummy cramps as we approach the game.  UB has won them all.  UB will win this one.  It is indeed a lock...............

Those of us casting a weary eye generally do so because of past experiences.

UB was a "lock" against FCS Lehigh in 2002 - Result: 26-37 Lehigh
UB was a "lock" against FCS Colgate in 2003 - Result: 15-38 Colgate

I sat through both of these games at UB Stadium..... that sucked.

Granted - we're going back 10 years, and that was all under Hofher.... but I consider nothing a "lock"

If god isn't a UB Fan, then why is the sky blue and white?
BrandedBull
Offensive Coordinator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 07:37:59 AM »

Ever since we started playing FCS teams, some folks get tummy cramps as we approach the game.  UB has won them all.  UB will win this one.  It is indeed a lock................so much silliness about Stony Brook and their FCS ranking.  UB will win comfortably.

Now, when we get over the inferiority complex, and UB beats SB, the Bulls can turn their mind to a game that can help really make this season....

I have said before, and I will say again, don't feed the trolls.  UB wins.  Period.  Mack, Neutz, Bo.........worried?  Not!

I'm more fussed about what to bring to the tailgate than I am about the score.  Remember, wiser men than me have said, the only poll that counts is the last one!

Go Bulls.............

Totally agree.  And no way that Toledo loses as well.   That is crazy talk. 

2014 Better have UB working the Bowl!
clodney
Offensive Coordinator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 07:45:23 AM »

Ever since we started playing FCS teams, some folks get tummy cramps as we approach the game.  UB has won them all.

Consider yourself extremely lucky for not having been a fan back before Turner Gill. As ubxcretired said, we lost to fcs all the time.

Bull_In_Exile
Head Coach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 09:09:33 AM »

They also have a receiver who put up more than 100 yards against Bowling Green last season (when he played for Idaho)..

Level missed last week but is probable for this week.

http://www.ubbullrun.com/2013/9/10/4714608/injury-notes-for-stony-brook

"I will play fullback in the next game and I’ll have a gun with me. The first Buffalo man who shows yellow, I’ll drop." -- Coach Turk Gordon

http://www.ubbullrun.com/ - A UB Football and Basketball Blog
"Is there a year
BrandedBull
Offensive Coordinator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 09:31:00 AM »

Ever since we started playing FCS teams, some folks get tummy cramps as we approach the game.  UB has won them all.

Consider yourself extremely lucky for not having been a fan back before Turner Gill. As ubxcretired said, we lost to fcs all the time.

I remember losing to everyone!

2014 Better have UB working the Bowl!
BVFA12
Redshirt Freshman

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 11:44:12 AM »

I remember the days of Piskorik and Sucky at QB. One thing though, UB has always produced a decent RB, just a matter if they used them correctly or could support them with anyone to throw the ball. Swan, Leeper, Dawson, King, and Starks. Now BO and Campbell.
RecoveringHillbilly
Offensive Coordinator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2013, 04:42:25 PM »

Don't forget we also lost to UConn in '99 when the Huskies were still 1-AA. Looking back at the records, UConn went 3-6 vs other 1-AA teams that year. I don't recall many thinking we were locks vs any team in the Cirbus/Hofher years. The games vs FCS teams felt more like the EMU game for this year: games we should win but nothing was a given. Forget potential NFL talent like we have on this roster. Hofher never had a UB player chosen 1st team All-MAC. Not one. Leeper was MAC Frosh of the year, but we know where that went. OL were too small, starting DE's were smaller than Mack, we longed for the days of QB play from Chad Salisbury, our top receiver was a TE.

SBU would have flattened those UB teams too. At this point, I also think it's not hard to believe SBU will be tougher than when UMass visits. But those UB players who stared 2 years ago are back and even better, and Licata is looking 100% and pumped for this one based on his tweets.
BCBull
Position Coach

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2013, 05:38:17 PM »

I do think SBU is stronger than UMASS. But if our 2010 team beat a FCS playoff caliber Stony Brook then I'm not buying the overall strength of FCS this year as justification on its own without pointing to our improved team. Add in the motivation from Baylor and the first home crowd and I'm really not concerned. Waco and Columbus were opposite ends of the matchup spectrum,  and UConn is our barometer. That doesn't change for me just because we got Branch Dravidianed in Waco.

Great are the deeds yet to be written in the Annals of the Armies of the Tribe of Buffalo.
ubfan.com

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: