Lambert Trophy
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Lambert Trophy
BrooklynBull
Head Coach

View Profile
« on: October 19, 2013, 01:41:22 AM »

In first poll of the year UB is 6th in the voting for the Lambert Trophy.

http://static.psbin.com/2/x/fvgvvlxbmexo9e/Lambert_Release10.14.2013.pdf

UB77
Redshirt Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 08:00:52 AM »

I'm a little embarrassed that I didn't even know that the Lambert Cup was still around. Then again, Temple is only 2 places behind us an they haven't won a game yet.
CTBullsfan
Offensive Coordinator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 10:17:00 AM »

I didn't know it existed either. Wish Michigan could have beaten Penn State last week. I'll be happy if we get past Syracuse.
UB04
Signed Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 11:24:03 AM »

I'm a little embarrassed that I didn't even know that the Lambert Cup was still around. Then again, Temple is only 2 places behind us an they haven't won a game yet.

most likely those last 3 teams (UCONN, UMASS, Temple) haven't received any votes, so are all at 0.
BrooklynBull
Head Coach

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 02:55:58 PM »

I didn't know it existed either. Wish Michigan could have beaten Penn State last week. I'll be happy if we get past Syracuse.

Should hppen with a win,  Syracuse down 49-0 at Georgia Tech.

BrandedBull
Offensive Coordinator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 02:57:53 PM »

What does the Lambert Cup stand for.  I find it hard to believe that Penn State would make the list.

2014 Better have UB working the Bowl!
UB04
Signed Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 03:08:48 PM »

What does the Lambert Cup stand for.  I find it hard to believe that Penn State would make the list.

it looks like a school in any northeastern state is eligible.. New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New England, or border states that play more than half their games against teams in those states. not really sure who does the voting.
BrandedBull
Offensive Coordinator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 03:22:23 PM »

it looks like a school in any northeastern state is eligible.. New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New England, or border states that play more than half their games against teams in those states. not really sure who does the voting.

Thanks

2014 Better have UB working the Bowl!
BrooklynBull
Head Coach

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 02:32:47 PM »

This week we have passed Syracuse and moved up to number 5 in the East.  By the way this is for the Lambert Trophy, not the Lambert Cup.  The trophy is for FBS and the cup is for FCS.  UB also has the best record of any team in the East.

http://www.ecacsports.com/lambert/2013-14_Releases/week_2_poll

Next school to pass: BC.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 09:30:50 AM by BrooklynBull » Logged

UB77
Redshirt Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, 09:16:30 AM »

It's been 55 years since UB won the Lambert Cup (not Trophy). Though unlikely, it would be nice to have the Trophy as the other bookend. And from wikipedia (so it has to be true), some background ...

"The Lambert-Meadowlands Trophy is an annual award given to the best team in the Northeast in Division I FBS (formerly I-A) college football.

The Lambert Trophy was established by brothers Victor and Henry Lambert in memory of their father, August. The Lamberts were the principals in a distinguished Madison Avenue jewelry house and were prominent college football boosters. The trophy, established in 1936 as the "Lambert Trophy" to recognize supremacy in northeastern college football, has since grown to recognize the best team in the Northeast in Division I FBS. A set of parallel trophies collectively known as the Lambert Cup is awarded to teams in Division I FCS (formerly I-AA), Division II, and Division III. The New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority, operator of the Meadowlands Sports Complex, took over the administration of the Lambert Meadowlands Awards in 1983.

Penn State won the award after the 2009 season for a record 28th time and the second consecutive year. On January 10, 2011, the NJSEA announced that the University of Connecticut had won the trophy for the very first time, after winning the Big East and making their first appearance in the BCS. Since 1936, there have been 16 different winners in Division I-A/FBS..."

CTBullsfan
Offensive Coordinator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2013, 02:56:28 PM »

How did we win the cup and also qualify for a bowl. You didnt need to be D1 at that time to get into a bowl?
Bull_In_Exile
Head Coach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2013, 02:58:23 PM »

How did we win the cup and also qualify for a bowl. You didnt need to be D1 at that time to get into a bowl?

Those classifications came after the 50's..

"I will play fullback in the next game and I’ll have a gun with me. The first Buffalo man who shows yellow, I’ll drop." -- Coach Turk Gordon

http://www.ubbullrun.com/ - A UB Football and Basketball Blog
"Is there a year
Bull_In_Exile
Head Coach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2013, 02:59:50 PM »

1906–1955    None
1956–1972    NCAA University Division (Major College), College Division (Small College)
1973–present    NCAA Division I, Division II, Division III
1978–2006    NCAA Division I-A, NCAA Division I-AA, Division II, Division III
2006–present    NCAA Division I FBS, Division I FCS, Division II, Division III

"I will play fullback in the next game and I’ll have a gun with me. The first Buffalo man who shows yellow, I’ll drop." -- Coach Turk Gordon

http://www.ubbullrun.com/ - A UB Football and Basketball Blog
"Is there a year
BrooklynBull
Head Coach

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2013, 06:18:12 AM »

UB may get a vote for first place this week.

Bob DiCesare" tweet:

Penn St. clobbered. Rutgers, Pitt, BC beaten. Think I have to put UB No. 1 on my Lambert Poll ballot

https://twitter.com/tbndicesare/status/394516841374044161

Despite the logic of his tweet and that we played Ohio State better than Penn State did.  Rutgers was blown out by Houston, Pitt lost to Navy on a buzzer beater and BC lost to an awful North Carolina team this week.

Our winning streak is against FBS schools with a combine 5-36 record (.122) throw in Stony Brook and the winning percentage jumps all the way up to .167 (8-40).  How we do in the Lambert and top 25 voting hinges on the next two week.  Ohio and Toledo are a combined 11-5 (.688).  Win those two games and then some voters might recognize what UB is doing on a national scale.

CTBullsfan
Offensive Coordinator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2013, 07:35:55 AM »

I think we need to petition for Western PA to secede from the state.
ubfan.com

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: