Very under the radar: Syracuse arena/stadium
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Very under the radar: Syracuse arena/stadium
RecoveringHillbilly
Offensive Coordinator

View Profile
« on: January 16, 2014, 02:35:58 PM »

Over the last few days there were rumors around Syracuse media that the Onondaga County Executive had discussed with and received backing from Cuomo to work to receive ~$200M toward a ~$500M possibly retractable-roof stadium for a parcel in downtown Syracuse. Talk of SU looking to re-hab or replace the Dome happen all the time, but they just had a new leader step in this week and he talked up the issue a lot. They say it would be a mix of state, county, SU, and private developer funds.

The problem was, Syracuse's Mayor, the owners of the land (SUNY Upstate Med), and others, were not in on these dealings and wanted more answers. The backers wanted to rush to get this through for the next Legislative session but have backed off as quickly as the story arose. Now the Mayor is being blamed by backers and lauded by others. She was on Capital Tonight on YNN last night and the commentator just could not believe it: Albany invests in Nano, Buffalo invests in Downtown/Waterfront/Biotech, and Syracuse's leaders think a stadium is their top economic shot in the arm?

There are new stories out all the time and they can be reviewed here. What's funny is hardly anyone outside Syracuse media had time to pick up on this. I would implore others to let media, state legislators, and SUNY Centers know of this.

It's a slippery slope to claim the Syracuse area needs and can benefit from this, while a private school would see greater benefits than any other entity. Obviously no other state would give such a gift whereby a private school would be primary tenant at a publicly-funded facility. Baylor only received some local funds for land and road improvements, not for their new stadium. TCU's huge renovations were privately raised. RIT used private funds for their ice arena construction. Meanwhile the state appropriation process dragged its feet on Albany's stadium, froze Stony Brook's BB arena reno for years, hasn't funded Buff State's stadium proposal, and our Fieldhouse/stadium projects are going at the privately-funded snail's pace, too. And I'm sure RIT, Niagara, Canisius, Fordham, etc, would also feel slighted if only 1 private school were to benefit athletically from state aid.  
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 03:05:50 PM by RecoveringHillbilly » Logged
BRJACR75
Offensive Coordinator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 03:01:09 PM »

Onondaga County Exec. = Joanie Mahoney =  wait for it.......Syracuse grad

BrooklynBull
Head Coach

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 03:30:49 PM »

I had head about this yesterday from a Syracuse Law grad.  The mayor is against because she and Cuomo do not get a long right now, even though she is a Democrat.  From what he said it sounded like the new facility would be built on the other side of I-81, as they want the campus space for more classrooms.

Bull_In_Exile
Head Coach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 03:33:20 PM »

Over the last few days there were rumors around Syracuse media that the Onondaga County Executive had discussed with and received backing from Cuomo to work to receive ~$200M toward a ~$500M possibly retractable-roof stadium for a parcel in downtown Syracuse. Talk of SU looking to re-hab or replace the Dome happen all the time, but they just had a new leader step in this week and he talked up the issue a lot. They say it would be a mix of state, county, SU, and private developer funds.

The problem was, Syracuse's Mayor, the owners of the land (SUNY Upstate Med), and others, were not in on these dealings and wanted more answers. The backers wanted to rush to get this through for the next Legislative session but have backed off as quickly as the story arose. Now the Mayor is being blamed by backers and lauded by others. She was on Capital Tonight on YNN last night and the commentator just could not believe it: Albany invests in Nano, Buffalo invests in Downtown/Waterfront/Biotech, and Syracuse's leaders think a stadium is their top economic shot in the arm?

There are new stories out all the time and they can be reviewed here. What's funny is hardly anyone outside Syracuse media had time to pick up on this. I would implore others to let media, state legislators, and SUNY Centers know of this.

It's a slippery slope to claim the Syracuse area needs and can benefit from this, while a private school would see greater benefits than any other entity. Obviously no other state would give such a gift whereby a private school would be primary tenant at a publicly-funded facility. Baylor only received some local funds for land and road improvements, not for their new stadium. TCU's huge renovations were privately raised. RIT used private funds for their ice arena construction. Meanwhile the state appropriation process dragged its feet on Albany's stadium, froze Stony Brook's BB arena reno for years, hasn't funded Buff State's stadium proposal, and our Fieldhouse/stadium projects are going at the privately-funded snail's pace, too. And I'm sure RIT, Niagara, Canisius, Fordham, etc, would also feel slighted if only 1 private school were to benefit athletically from state aid.  

Nice find Hill... Lets hope SUNY alums can shame their legislators here..

"I will play fullback in the next game and I’ll have a gun with me. The first Buffalo man who shows yellow, I’ll drop." -- Coach Turk Gordon

http://www.ubbullrun.com/ - A UB Football and Basketball Blog
"Is there a year
clodney
Offensive Coordinator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 03:38:00 PM »

Our kids are running sprints in the basement hallways of our basketball arena and the state is considering investing its money into a new arena for a private school that already has the best facilities in the state.

"Don’t give me that WNY is getting favorable treatment here. WNY was getting screwed for years and this bill does very little to equalize things. We don’t want to hold back SB/BU & UA but UB has been working on 2020 for 5 years. Don’t say, ‘Because you’re at the finish line you have to wait for us'"
Bull_In_Exile
Head Coach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 03:43:07 PM »

Our kids are running sprints in the basement hallways of our basketball arena and the state is considering investing its money into a new arena for a private school that already has the best facilities in the state.

Imagine what a 500 million dollar retractable roof stadium across from the south Campus could do for North Buffalo....

"I will play fullback in the next game and I’ll have a gun with me. The first Buffalo man who shows yellow, I’ll drop." -- Coach Turk Gordon

"Is there a year
Bull_In_Exile
Head Coach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 03:43:46 PM »

So if I RTFA right SUNY would have lost land, presumably through a forced sale, so SUx could get a new stadium?

"Is there a year
BrooklynBull
Head Coach

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 03:46:47 PM »

Two things to remember.  One is that the state helped to finance the original dome in the 1970s.  Second is the roof is about to meet its life expectancy.  There are no other domes with similar roofs other than the Silverdome, which is in some state of being modified or torn down.  The other is the Hubert Horatio Humphrey Metrodome, which is also on its way to the scrap heap. So there is no one to make them a new roof.  They may need a new building just for that reason alone.  How it gets financed is another story.

Question for BSF, if the state finances this new facility is the state doing what is right for sports in New York State with building a new facility or is it another example of the state not knowing what it is doing?

myBuffalo
Four Year Starter

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 03:47:25 PM »

The latest T&F video shows the sprinters working on their form and technique in the gym with the seats/bleachers pushed back. It looked nice and plenty spacious.

Lets Go Buffalo!
Bull_In_Exile
Head Coach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 03:54:07 PM »

The latest T&F video shows the sprinters working on their form and technique in the gym with the seats/bleachers pushed back. It looked nice and plenty spacious.

As a former track runner I can tell you practicing on wood or cement is *NOT* good for you....

"Is there a year
rma
First Year Starter

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 03:54:42 PM »

Two things to remember.  One is that the state helped to finance the original dome in the 1970s.
So Syracuse got their fair share of our tax money to use for athletics then?

So, thunder through, Go Blue! Give a Cheer, never fear!
clodney
Offensive Coordinator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 04:05:38 PM »

I don't care if the roof is falling off of the Carrier Dome. Syracuse is a private university that, thanks to New York state taxpayers, has received the benefit of a 55,000 seat indoor dome for the past 35 years in upstate New York, while all of the public SUNY schools have suffered through terrible facilities that are even in the same ball park. Now Syracuse wants another $200million from New York state taxpayers to build another one? This is ludicrous. Do you know how much money Syracuse makes everytime they play a basketball game with 30,000 fans? They can fund their own $hit!

"Don’t give me that WNY is getting favorable treatment here. WNY was getting screwed for years and this bill does very little to equalize things. We don’t want to hold back SB/BU & UA but UB has been working on 2020 for 5 years. Don’t say, ‘Because you’re at the finish line you have to wait for us'"
myBuffalo
Four Year Starter

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2014, 04:07:03 PM »

As a former track runner I can tell you practicing on wood or cement is *NOT* good for you....

That maybe very well, however while watching the video you will notice the sprinters and some of the hurdlers are working out on the AA floor, however also on top of a padded surface, hence negating the NOT good for you part.

Lets Go Buffalo!
Bull_In_Exile
Head Coach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2014, 04:12:25 PM »

That maybe very well, however while watching the video you will notice the sprinters and some of the hurdlers are working out on the AA floor, however also on top of a padded surface, hence negating the NOT good for you part.

depends on the pads... Tweking yourself is easy to do on the wrong surface.. Clay, the foam on modern tracks, or plain dirt is better then pads on a floor..

"Is there a year
UB85
All Rookie Team

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2014, 05:09:49 PM »

Great info RH!!! Thanks for alerting the rest of us.

If the state is going to finance a new Dome to the tune of 200 mil then I want the state to fund a field house at UB, a new IM building for general student population and additional facilities for the rst of our sports teams. And while the state is felling good about it, let's do the same for the remaining state schools.

And as far as track practicing in AA, keep in mind that takes away gym time/availability from the basketball teams.
ubfan.com

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: