As of 8/24/2018, this site has been archived. Please visit http://www.ubfan.com for the new site
THIS SITE IS READ ONLY

Author Topic: BREAKING NEWS: Desi Green kicked off wrestling team on verge of historic season  (Read 18693 times)

October 26, 2011, 09:07:34 AM
Reply #15

ChubbyHubby

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
  • WILL YOU CONSIDER HELPING OUT?
    • View Profile
I didn't take it as "poor Desi" from the Spectrum standpoint.  There was more than enough "poor me" from Desi's standpoint.  It never ceases to amaze me how these kids are being handed a couple hundred thousand dollars and they're willing to piss it away. 
PLEASE CONSIDER DONATING TO MY RIDE FOR ROSWELL
Ask me how you can help out.

October 26, 2011, 11:10:39 AM
Reply #16

DCA

• Information
  • All MAC Performer
    • View Profile
    • /sp/
I didn't take it as "poor Desi" from the Spectrum standpoint.  There was more than enough "poor me" from Desi's standpoint.  It never ceases to amaze me how these kids are being handed a couple hundred thousand dollars and they're willing to piss it away
literally
#MACsketball / #MACtion - Twitter / IG / Tumblr / Last.fm - Class of '12, B.A., Magna Cum Laude

October 26, 2011, 11:40:53 AM
Reply #17

weareub46

• Information
  • Four Year Starter
    • View Profile
    • Email
^^ hahahaha

October 26, 2011, 11:42:34 AM
Reply #18

ChubbyHubby

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
The pun was intended.  It was either that or something about watching your lifetime dreams go up in smoke.

October 26, 2011, 06:22:52 PM
Reply #19

mustangl33t

Hey all this is Matt Parrino -

If you polled 100 ub bulls fans before this story broke and asked them about Desi Green's chance at breaking the all-time wins record this season, I would imagine that at least 90 percent of them would discuss his chances like he was still on the team. I have covered UB athletics for three years and when i was told two days ago Desi was off the team, it was the first I heard of it. Athletics didn't release a press release about this, they included in a newsletter. I searched on buffalobulls.com and couldn't find the news anywhere, hence BREAKING NEWS in the headline on this post.

I ran this article in its current form because Desi is the only one willing to talk about this issue. As per usual, UB Athletics offered nothing more than the company line, and it isn't really that surprising, but a bit troublesome if you ask me. We will be doing a follow up investigative piece into this matter. I plan on having Aaron look into the drug use of UB athlettes across the board. This is  big issue if Desi is being singled out as he claims, and yes it's a claim, but he has a right to be heard. If UB Athletics has anything to add, they should feel free to contact me or Aaron.

Matt it's a good piece, and it is news. As to him being singled out? he failed a test... frankly if he was tested every three days after that he is not 'being singled out'. He was one of our best wrestlers, why would UBAthletics target him..

Marijuana is the number one cause of every unsavory affliction known to man

I thought that was women.

October 26, 2011, 08:32:11 PM
Reply #20

Bullions

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
I totally support weed legalization, and I kind of feel bad for Desi since he just doesn't seem to understand why it's such a big deal. But I totally back what athletics did. Right or wrong, weed is illegal, and that's it. He's an NCAA athlete, he knew that. Sucks, but athletics had no choice.

Plus it'll have looked horrible for the school if Desi won some MAC title, and failed a drugs test right after and had it stripped.
No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced. - Neil deGrasse Tyson

October 26, 2011, 11:18:44 PM
Reply #21

ChubbyHubby

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
I totally support weed legalization, and I kind of feel bad for Desi since he just doesn't seem to understand why it's such a big deal. But I totally back what athletics did. Right or wrong, weed is illegal, and that's it. He's an NCAA athlete, he knew that. Sucks, but athletics had no choice.

Plus it'll have looked horrible for the school if Desi won some MAC title, and failed a drugs test right after and had it stripped.
Guess I wonder why you'd feel bad for Desi because he chooses ignorance.  He know's exactly why it's such a big deal.  If he's smart enough to get his grades up and keep them up like he says he has, he's smart enough to know why it's a big deal.  Don't feel bad for ignorance.  He's a big boy and needs to take responsibility for his actions.

October 26, 2011, 11:57:37 PM
Reply #22

UB_dropout

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile

Guess I wonder why you'd feel bad for Desi because he chooses ignorance.  He know's exactly why it's such a big deal.  If he's smart enough to get his grades up and keep them up like he says he has, he's smart enough to know why it's a big deal.  Don't feel bad for ignorance.  He's a big boy and needs to take responsibility for his actions.

Amen, Chubby.  These kids must be reading this and think these old farts don't get it.  The fact is years of real life experience makes us get it more than they know.

October 27, 2011, 01:29:19 AM
Reply #23

Buffalofan4255

Guess I wonder why you'd feel bad for Desi because he chooses ignorance.  He know's exactly why it's such a big deal.  If he's smart enough to get his grades up and keep them up like he says he has, he's smart enough to know why it's a big deal.  Don't feel bad for ignorance.  He's a big boy and needs to take responsibility for his actions.

I'll 2nd that amen. it ticks me off a little bit when I hear about a kid getting a full ride to a great university (the same education as me...a kid whose out of state whose paying 10 grand more than him if he were paying full even) because he wrestles...and then wastes that whole scholarship for smoking weed. Yeah, Weed isn't that bad and I actually think it should be legalized (it is in Massachusetts) but the fact that he wasted athletics money like that...to not even give them any championship astounds me.

I'm sorry, but if you get a full ride from athletics and screw it up like that, you're just a downright idiot. And now he's trying to defend himself on the front cover of the spectrum. I don't even know why the spectrum is letting that happen...he shouldn't be getting any sort of praise or sympathy. Instead, he should try to fix his marijuana problem himself and learn a lesson the hard way.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 01:31:57 AM by Buffalofan4255 »

October 27, 2011, 09:07:23 PM
Reply #24

CTBullsfan

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
I thought the story was fine. Maybe Desi just didn't care about D1 wrestling as much has he cared about smoking pot.

In anycase I guess I have someone else to root for now on TV.

Green plans to pursue his true passion of Mixed Martial Arts after graduation by trying out for The Ultimate Fighter television show this spring.

October 27, 2011, 09:11:50 PM
Reply #25

DCA

• Information
  • All MAC Performer
    • View Profile
    • /sp/
I thought the story was fine. Maybe Desi just didn't care about D1 wrestling as much has he cared about smoking pot.

In anycase I guess I have someone else to root for now on TV.

Green plans to pursue his true passion of Mixed Martial Arts after graduation by trying out for The Ultimate Fighter television show this spring.

Congratulations. There's nothing worse than that MMA/UFC/Tapout culture.

#MACsketball / #MACtion - Twitter / IG / Tumblr / Last.fm - Class of '12, B.A., Magna Cum Laude

October 28, 2011, 11:11:45 AM
Reply #26

weareub46

• Information
  • Four Year Starter
    • View Profile
    • Email
The whole marijuana debate is one in itself but I think that none of it matter as many of you have said. He is a D1 athlete. Whether you support it or not you have to stay away from these things while on a team because you will get caught and kicked out and it's unfortunate he threw this potentially great season away. If you are on a team you have to resist those types of things

October 28, 2011, 12:18:22 PM
Reply #27

DCA

• Information
  • All MAC Performer
    • View Profile
    • /sp/
I was hoping to see this exchange in the Spectrum today:
http://twitter.com/#!/DennisCAbrams/status/129036115540852736
http://twitter.com/#!/RandemToon/status/129051665386053632
http://twitter.com/#!/RandemToon/status/129052049013874688
It's funny. He tells me to inform himself meanwhile he was essentially the only source in the Spectrum's article. Everything I know about the situation came indirectly from him.

There's also this gem:
http://twitter.com/#!/Shaud_Money100/status/129284712899424256

October 30, 2011, 11:15:48 PM
Reply #29

gobulls

• Information
  • Signed Recruit
    • View Profile
    • Email
I remember hearing about this a long time ago.  I checked the wrestling blog, and it was posted on there back on May 12! 

It's a bad situation all around.  Desi would have had a great year.  I'm sure this was  a very disappointing situation for the coaches.

Maybe the Spectrum will cover the team more because of this.  It should be an exciting year for them plus future is looking really good because of all the good young wrestlers we have.

This site is READ ONLY