As of 8/24/2018, this site has been archived. Please visit http://www.ubfan.com for the new site
THIS SITE IS READ ONLY

Author Topic: Danny White rant, good bad and the ugly  (Read 10263 times)

November 17, 2015, 04:27:51 PM
Read 10263 times

UB85

• Information
  • Position Coach
    • View Profile
Danny White rant, good bad and the ugly
« on: November 17, 2015, 04:27:51 PM »
So the word is DW is taking the UCF AD job. Good for him as he no doubt feels it is a step up in class though an argument could be made to the contrary.

I appreciated White's vision that UB athletics could be something more than a moribund middling mid-major and in fact could become a top-tier mid-major if not ultimately a member of a top conference. UB has the potential. It would be nice if the WNY community, UB students and alums would appreciate and recognize as much and provide far greater fannies in the seats and financial support.

The athletic department is currently in a much better spot than it has ever been with multiple MAC titles , teams now regularly competing for MAC titles and the finest achievement in UB modern history with its first ever Big Dance appearance. Additionally the attitude within the department is much better that it has ever been.

So I appreciate White for those achievements.

My grandfather had a saying that a job half done is a job done half-assed. And that is how I'll remember White, someone who had good moments, but left well before the job was done. He gets a D consequently.

We need someone with White's vision and Manuel's personality. If not maybe it's time to rethink UB athletics as promo suggests.

Feel free to add your biggest complaints and/or compliments.

November 17, 2015, 04:50:39 PM
Reply #1

BullsFanInChiTown

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Danny White rant, good bad and the ugly
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 04:50:39 PM »
I was and still am a fan of Danny White. I think he did good things while he was here, regardless of what the general populous may think. He tried his best to push this program forward and to get it "accepted" in the state of New York, and really that's all I could ask for. Well, other than winning which we did as well across the board. He is not an AD who sat on his ass, did nothing and then left. He made a mark at UB in his short time here, whether you think it was good or bad. I wish him the best going forward.

November 17, 2015, 04:59:02 PM
Reply #2

promotherobot

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 04:59:02 PM »
Danny White was good for UB, better than Warde IMO. But it was obvious that many didn't care for his new-fangled ideas. Danny is going to a school that wants to rise in stature, has terrific facilities in place already and won't obstruct their AD from his vision over some butthurt issues. (I know no one will be complaining about the lack of "Orlando" in the UCF brand.)

November 17, 2015, 05:52:40 PM
Reply #3

BRJACR75

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 05:52:40 PM »
Danny White was good for UB, better than Warde IMO. But it was obvious that many didn't care for his new-fangled ideas. Danny is going to a school that wants to rise in stature, has terrific facilities in place already and won't obstruct their AD from his vision over some butthurt issues. (I know no one will be complaining about the lack of "Orlando" in the UCF brand.)

For the love of god, no offense, but would you knock the father off with this "White's leaving us because WNY didn't buy into NYBI hook line and sinker."  If thats not how your intending it, fine, I stand corrected, but this is how its coming across….

If you want to blame anybody for anything, blame the fact that SUNY and New York State has put UB in this position that it can't step beyond the other University Centers.  If anything his holding back NYBI, its that UB as a whole, athletics included, has to work within the confines of what New York State/SUNY tells them.  So if you want to see change, direct your ire where it belongs.

Besides, if White is so thin skinned and his ego is so bruised because of WNY and the reaction to it, that he takes his ball and bails on it this quickly, Why would you want him as AD anyway….

And lets make something perfectly fathering clear here…..  White is CHOOSING to leave, he's NOT being run out the door like some people want to believe, lets not forget that….
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 06:08:58 PM by BRJACR75 »

November 17, 2015, 06:58:58 PM
Reply #4

rma

• Information
  • All Rookie Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 06:58:58 PM »

For the love of god, no offense, but would you knock the father off with this "White's leaving us because WNY didn't buy into NYBI hook line and sinker."  If thats not how your intending it, fine, I stand corrected, but this is how its coming across….

If you want to blame anybody for anything, blame the fact that SUNY and New York State has put UB in this position that it can't step beyond the other University Centers.  If anything his holding back NYBI, its that UB as a whole, athletics included, has to work within the confines of what New York State/SUNY tells them.  So if you want to see change, direct your ire where it belongs.

Besides, if White is so thin skinned and his ego is so bruised because of WNY and the reaction to it, that he takes his ball and bails on it this quickly, Why would you want him as AD anyway….

And lets make something perfectly fathering clear here…..  White is CHOOSING to leave, he's NOT being run out the door like some people want to believe, lets not forget that….
this is right on.
So, thunder through, Go Blue! Give a Cheer, never fear!

November 17, 2015, 07:36:07 PM
Reply #5

promotherobot

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 07:36:07 PM »

I agree about SUNY being the biggest roadblock to progress. I also agree DW is not being run out of town. He had a nice offer to a job that is a step up.

I am venting at the frustration of not keeping good people longer than a cup of coffee. And I'm venting at the minority of fans and sports writers that crapped on DW over #NYBI because somehow being the state's flagship university is a massive insult to Buffalo

Let's hope we find a strong replacement.

November 18, 2015, 06:55:28 AM
Reply #6

RochBull

• Information
  • All MAC Performer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 06:55:28 AM »
F Danny White. He has such good vision going and he completely bails.

During his time here, he kept talking about UB as a sleeping giant, "flagship for NY", etc.

Then he bails to go to another mid-major. Seriously, UCF?

How can a directional school be better than what you've been saying is the "flagship"?

You know you're not going to Florida or Florida State, right?

I guess all your "NYBI" talk was just BS.

If anyone thinks, we're ever moving to a P5 conference, this puts the nail in that coffin. We might as well change our name to "Western New York" and and try and fit into the MAC better as this will always be our home.

Somewhere Buffalo SuperFan is cackling like the madman he is because Danny White has just proven all his crazy-ass rants as true.

November 18, 2015, 09:27:19 AM
Reply #7

bullsbball

• Information
  • Redshirt Freshman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 09:27:19 AM »
I'll admit, I've never been a big Danny White fan.

A few points:
1)  I didn't like NYBI. Danny seemed to want to single handedly change the name of the university. As I've said before, the term "New York" generally means "New York City" and anybody upstate wants to avoid that confusion. It's like Danny thought he was President of the University or SUNY Chancellor. Watch all the logos be changed back with the new AD.
2) Danny seemed to want to make a name for himself while he was here. Like Bobby Hurley, you knew they were just here as a stepping stone to other places. Both were looking to build their resume rather than "helping" UB.
3) Danny didn't seem to get along with many in the athletic department. Firing most of the coaches within a year and a half of getting the job:
http://www.ubfan.com/board/index.php/topic,14879.msg170077.html#msg170077. Look at the well publicized interaction between Danny White and Bobby Hurley.
4) I personally don't see the need to have this new "UB Fieldhouse". Don't we have enough buildings on the North Campus. Couldn't the money be used in different places (improving the Big-A).

So, Danny wanted to change the name of the university and build a lot of "monuments" to pad his resume. I hope the next AD is a little more low-key and just gets things done.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 01:01:17 PM by bullsbball »

November 18, 2015, 09:43:32 AM
Reply #8

BrooklynBull

• Information
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, 09:43:32 AM »

A few points:
1)  I didn't like NYBI. Danny seemed to want to single handedly change the name of the university. As I've said before, the term "New York" generally means "New York City" and anybody upstate wants to avoid that confusion. It's like Danny though he was President of the University or SUNY Chancellor. Watch all the logos be changed back with the new AD.
2) Danny seemed to want to make a name for himself while he was here. Like Bobby Hurley, you knew they were just here as a stepping stone to other places. Both were looking to build their resume rather than "helping" UB.
3) Danny didn't seem to get along with many in the athletic department. Firing most of the coaches within a year and a half of getting the job:
http://www.ubfan.com/board/index.php/topic,14879.msg170077.html#msg170077. Look at the well publicized interaction between Danny White and Bobby Hurley.
4) I personally don't see the need to have this new "UB Fieldhouse". Don't we have enough buildings on the North Campus. Couldn't the money be used in different places (improving the Big-A).

So, Danny wanted to change the name of the university and build a lot of "monuments" to pad his resume. I hope the next AD is a little more low-key and just gets things done.

The fieldhouse is needed becasue it is standard for NCAA football and athletics in general.  Even the schools in the South have one.  UB is the only school in the MAC without one or without one under construction.  That is wise it has been discussed going back to the when Bob Arkeilpane was the AD.

It is keeping up with the Joneses.

November 18, 2015, 10:09:35 AM
Reply #9

bullsbball

• Information
  • Redshirt Freshman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2015, 10:09:35 AM »
UB is the only school in the MAC without one or without one under construction.
Educate me. Can you give me examples of the field houses in the MAC?  For example, what is the field house at Toledo? Is it this:
https://youtu.be/VPEheSDMdIQ?t=10m27s
Seems mostly used for classrooms now.

November 18, 2015, 10:35:07 AM
Reply #10

clodney

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2015, 10:35:07 AM »
No fieldhouse? Seriously? Every school in the conference has an IPF except for us and we play in Buffalo - the city with the worst weather perception in the country.

Here is Toledo - completed in 2009.

Here is Eastern Michigan. Yes, EMU even has a nice indoor practice facility:

Here is Western Michigan:

Every school in the MAC has one - outside of Buffalo. Here is where our players practice in the winter:

« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 10:40:29 AM by clodney »
"Don’t give me that WNY is getting favorable treatment here. WNY was getting screwed for years and this bill does very little to equalize things. We don’t want to hold back SB/BU & UA but UB has been working on 2020 for 5 years. Don’t say, ‘Because you’re at the finish line you have to wait for us'"

November 18, 2015, 10:39:42 AM
Reply #11

UBFan99

• Information
  • Four Year Starter
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2015, 10:39:42 AM »

If you're serious about football at all, at the D1 level, a field house here, in Buffalo, is a must. Especially if you're going to a bowl game, get those extra practices and be stuck outside in December every day? That's why they use the Bills one when they can.

November 18, 2015, 10:40:59 AM
Reply #12

BrooklynBull

• Information
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile

November 18, 2015, 12:32:09 PM
Reply #13

enrique14150

• Information
  • Redshirt Freshman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2015, 12:32:09 PM »

A few points:
1)  I didn't like NYBI. Danny seemed to want to single handedly change the name of the university. As I've said before, the term "New York" generally means "New York City" and anybody upstate wants to avoid that confusion. It's like Danny though he was President of the University or SUNY Chancellor. Watch all the logos be changed back with the new AD.

Totally agree except for the part about the fieldhouse.  The program keeps selling recruits on the fact that this is going to be built, and it still hasn't.  While money goes into new offices.  In our climate, at this level of play, to keep up they need an indoor practice facility.

White and Hurley were the ambitious types who were always going to be looking for the next level somewhere else.  That was understood from the start.  You just wish they were here long enough to build something. 

White thought he could just dictate some of these things like a name change.  Never specified what the end goal of needing it was, didn't get the support of the community at large for it, in the end the university does a big survey that shows the majority likes it as it is.  He couldn't sell it, and in the end all it's done is divide people.  In the end, this was all about Danny White and his career, just like it was all about Bobby Hurley and his career.  I agree with the poster who said they hope we get a new person with the sense and class of Manuel and the ambition of White.

November 18, 2015, 01:44:33 PM
Reply #14

UB92

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2015, 01:44:33 PM »
In reading these replies, there really is a disconnect between those who think UB is fine where they are (i.e. in the MAC) and those who want to move to a better conference.    For the most part, if you wanted the former, you liked what White was doing.  He was trying to position UB to be attractive to B1G, etc. by aggressively embracing the downstate area (where many alumni are from).   If you wanted the latter, you were not a fan of NYBI (and, by extension, White and his ideas).

The same disconnect still exists, regardless of who they bring in to replace White.

I may be wrong, but I don't see UB going the other way on a new AD hire.  For example, I don't see the new AD saying something like "We have found a home in the MAC and are happy where we are after 15 years." (or something similar).  I strongly suspect it will be someone who is ambitious and will talk about downstate/marketing, talk about improving facilities, talk about the field house, talk about bringing championships to UB, etc., without commenting on UB's place/comfort/etc. about the MAC.   NYBI exists, so I expect the new person to continue with this.

Here is what I will remember most about Danny White:  he had the cajones to fire RW and to hire Hurley.   Hurley brought a MAC Basketball Championship to UB.  Both of them (like Gill before them) I will remember fondly for this reason.

Go Bulls.

The State University of New York. 

Blue. White. Damn Right.

This site is READ ONLY