As of 8/24/2018, this site has been archived. Please visit http://www.ubfan.com for the new site
THIS SITE IS READ ONLY

Author Topic: UB Rebranding  (Read 23153 times)

April 14, 2016, 04:09:51 PM
Reply #30

ChubbyHubby

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
  • WILL YOU CONSIDER HELPING OUT?
    • View Profile
Re: UB Rebranding
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2016, 04:09:51 PM »
You are correct.  Thank you.
PLEASE CONSIDER DONATING TO MY RIDE FOR ROSWELL
Ask me how you can help out.

April 14, 2016, 05:28:33 PM
Reply #31

JoeyRattlesnake

• Information
  • Redshirt Freshman
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2016, 05:28:33 PM »
But, when people from outside of Florida hear "Florida", nobody thinks Florida City.  Berserk makes the exact point that I've made since we put the "paragraph logo" on everything.

I think it was JoeyRattlesnake.

Not sure if you're agreeing with/supporting me or not, but I guess that's not important.

I also think another way to explain it is you have New York City and New York State.  When you say New York State you are referring to the actual state of NY.  "I'm from New York state", is away I sometimes quantify being from NY but not NYC.  If you say NC State or Florida State, it is inherently known you are referring to the University, not the geographical place.  I get it, I want us to be known as the STATE flagship school, but it's difficult to change a brand midstream.

April 14, 2016, 06:43:47 PM
Reply #32

BRJACR75

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2016, 06:43:47 PM »
But, when people from outside of Florida hear "Florida", nobody thinks Florida City.  Berserk makes the exact point that I've made since we put the "paragraph logo" on everything.

I think it was JoeyRattlesnake.

Not sure if you're agreeing with/supporting me or not, but I guess that's not important.

I also think another way to explain it is you have New York City and New York State.  When you say New York State you are referring to the actual state of NY.  "I'm from New York state", is away I sometimes quantify being from NY but not NYC.  If you say NC State or Florida State, it is inherently known you are referring to the University, not the geographical place.  I get it, I want us to be known as the STATE flagship school, but it's difficult to change a brand midstream.

Yes, we are agreeing

April 14, 2016, 07:03:29 PM
Reply #33

verandaman

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2016, 07:03:29 PM »
I'm getting confused...........

What I do know is that when I tell folks I am a big supporter of UB, a good number know what I am referring to, including many, many non-New Yorkers.  When I wear my New York hat, I get puzzled looks; lots of questions; asked why I just don't say that I support Buffalo?  I do not exaggerate when I say that over the last three to four months I have spoken with more than a hundred American sports fans (likely more than 200) from a large number of states.  I have had many throw me (Lord knows I don't deserve any credit) kudos for the basketball team; Khalil Mack; etc..  While I have had many ask about UB's conference affiliation, etc., no one (yup, no one) has said what or where is Buffalo.  When I wear the New York hat, I get asked: where in NYC?  Are you from Albany?  Do you have anything to do with Syracuse?.....and so on.........and this includes questions from folks from the state of New York!

I can say that amongst the "established" crowd (sounds nicer than "older"), UB and Buffalo have traction.  I'm on another Board (Boomer......but it shall remain nameless)........folks there ask me about UB; about the basketball team; about Canadians on UB football (they know I am from north of the border).........that team has perhaps the top Canadian senior eligible for the CFL draft this year; plus they have the top Canadian player (RFS) from the past decade or more (Neville Gallimore); plus they are recruiting a young man from Alberta who will end up with 20 or more D1 offers (forgive the old lingo).......so they follow north and north-east football.  No one on that board has ever asked me about New York.....UB?  Yes.  New York.....No.

And, for what it's worth, no matter what anyone has done over the past decade, I just renew my seasons tickets; donate to Blue and White; and drive down to most of the games (from Canada.......200 miles return, and two border crossings!).

At the end of the day, I just want to cheer for UB and donate a modest sum to help build better athletics.

I love the new brand strategy................
"The more you know, the more you know you don't know" - Aristotle

April 14, 2016, 07:39:20 PM
Reply #34

ChubbyHubby

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2016, 07:39:20 PM »
^^^^^+10^^^^^
What he said.

April 14, 2016, 09:49:31 PM
Reply #35

SGBull

• Information
  • Verbal Commit
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2016, 09:49:31 PM »
I understand your point and there are definitely two sides to this argument, we will just have to agree to disagree. Bottom line is that the brand only matters so much, winning consistently is going to be the most important factor in changing the culture, not the logo.

April 14, 2016, 10:04:18 PM
Reply #36

UB92

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2016, 10:04:18 PM »
I understand your point and there are definitely two sides to this argument, we will just have to agree to disagree. Bottom line is that the brand only matters so much, winning consistently is going to be the most important factor in changing the culture, not the logo.

Ultimately, whether it says "NY" or "UB" and/or has some version of a Bull as a logo, what I have put in bold above trumps everything else. 
The State University of New York. 

Blue. White. Damn Right.

April 14, 2016, 11:14:14 PM
Reply #37

ChubbyHubby

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2016, 11:14:14 PM »
That is pretty much what ADAG said in the interview that's posted over at BullRun.  Who would have thought that Charlie Sheen was right all along.  WINNING!

April 15, 2016, 10:39:00 AM
Reply #38

UB85

• Information
  • Position Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2016, 10:39:00 AM »
For me the name has always been much ado about nothing. I do think SUNY AT Buffalo sounds ridiculously hokey though. Whoever refers to a University AT, name your place, except for the SUNY system? NYBI, State University of NEW YORK at Buffalo, UB, University of Buffalo have always been synonymous for me. What I fully embrace and still do  (and I hope most if not everyone on this board does) is the vision behind NYBI, which is to say the goal of bringing UB Athletics in line the quality of the university itself, an AAU institution. Some like Bucky Gleason say why? I say why not! It won't happen overnight, but it takes leaders with vision to bring the doubting Thomases of the world along. Look at the Buffalo itself. Who would have thought ten years ago that we have multi million dollar complexes where parking lots and vacant downtrodden buildings once stood. Tremendous progress has been made during White's tenure even if it was handled in a ham-handed way at times. It's up to Greene, his staff, us, Tripathi to move the ball forward. I believe it can happen, but we have to overcome the underlying malaise that exists in the WNY and some segments of the UB community.

April 15, 2016, 11:47:08 AM
Reply #39

BrooklynBull

• Information
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2016, 11:47:08 AM »
I'm getting confused...........

What I do know is that when I tell folks I am a big supporter of UB, a good number know what I am referring to, including many, many non-New Yorkers.  When I wear my New York hat, I get puzzled looks; lots of questions; asked why I just don't say that I support Buffalo?  I do not exaggerate when I say that over the last three to four months I have spoken with more than a hundred American sports fans (likely more than 200) from a large number of states.  I have had many throw me (Lord knows I don't deserve any credit) kudos for the basketball team; Khalil Mack; etc..  While I have had many ask about UB's conference affiliation, etc., no one (yup, no one) has said what or where is Buffalo.  When I wear the New York hat, I get asked: where in NYC?  Are you from Albany?  Do you have anything to do with Syracuse?.....and so on.........and this includes questions from folks from the state of New York!

I can say that amongst the "established" crowd (sounds nicer than "older"), UB and Buffalo have traction.  I'm on another Board (Boomer......but it shall remain nameless)........folks there ask me about UB; about the basketball team; about Canadians on UB football (they know I am from north of the border).........that team has perhaps the top Canadian senior eligible for the CFL draft this year; plus they have the top Canadian player (RFS) from the past decade or more (Neville Gallimore); plus they are recruiting a young man from Alberta who will end up with 20 or more D1 offers (forgive the old lingo).......so they follow north and north-east football.  No one on that board has ever asked me about New York.....UB?  Yes.  New York.....No.

And, for what it's worth, no matter what anyone has done over the past decade, I just renew my seasons tickets; donate to Blue and White; and drive down to most of the games (from Canada.......200 miles return, and two border crossings!).

At the end of the day, I just want to cheer for UB and donate a modest sum to help build better athletics.

I love the new brand strategy................

Can you please make it American funds.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 01:17:50 PM by BrooklynBull »

April 15, 2016, 01:07:18 PM
Reply #40

clodney

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2016, 01:07:18 PM »
Verandaman,

You travel the country watching endless college football games and although you say you've met a ton of people who know what UB is, I'm sure they're also the type of people who could name all 11 Sun Belt schools.

As for Buffalo vs NY,
My opinion remains the same as always. Buffalo is not a brand that anyone east of Rochester is going to get behind or care about. The name Buffalo is synonymous with losing, bad weather, and being near Canada. I've said this a dozen times already but I grew up in Albany and it was universally accepted that Buffalo was at least an 8 hour drive away and you needed a pack of sled dogs to get there (this is probably also the reason that I even ended up at UB since I was one of your prototypical "I need to get as far away as possible" prospective college students). I never went past Syracuse one single time in my childhood because in my mind that was like going into the Badlands. However, I committed to the school on blind faith and it only took a few days of living on south campus to realize that every perception I had about Buffalo was completely wrong. It's a great town with a unique cultural identity, awesome food, and some great entertainment options. Not to mention, the weather is actually quite tolerable (unless you're in the south towns) and not really all that different from anywhere else in the northeast.

The problem though is that the city of Buffalo has embraced the inaccurate negative perceptions instead of attempting to eliminate them. It's almost like people in Buffalo relish the fact that everyone in the country thinks they're completely irrational for living there. All this has done is detach the city from the rest of the state and it is because of this that I think calling ourselves "New York" or "New York State" is the only effective method if we want to get people east of Batavia to actually pay attention to our institution and finally take the time to understand some of the good qualities that exist in WNY. And who cares if people in North Carolina see "New York" on our jerseys and think of New York City? At least it starts a conversation about our school that otherwise would never happen, not to mention you get to immediately correct them and explain how Buffalo is actually in New York state and then give them the standard spiel about "the largest, most comprehensive...". The second that these people hear New York, they're intrigued because it's a brand with tremendous value. We are incredibly lucky to have access to it and we should be taking advantage before other schools do. New York immediately makes people think we are a large, important school instead of a small regional college. It gets them thinking we possibly belong in the same sentence as schools like Rutgers and UCONN, instead of constantly needing to correct the constant misconception that we are more closely aligned to schools like Wisconsin-Green Bay and Cleveland State. This is the reality outside of WNY whether people want to accept it or not.

Ultimately, it would take years to develop but it would be a huge improvement for both our school and the city of Buffalo in the long run if the school was able to connect itself to the rest of New York State. Only then would we be able to attract a larger conference and be able to achieve the other pillars of the original NYBI. Without New York in our name, nobody cares. We could win the MAC every single year in football but people across the country will still see our school as an irrelevant midmajor.

Lastly, backing out of the New York Bulls Initiative is an utter disaster. All it does is show that UB tried to connect with the rest of the state and failed. Our own people shot down our attempt at expanding the reach of this university to the rest of New York because for some reason they are under the delusion that the city of Buffalo alone can support this institution. It can't. Buffalo will never fully support this school to the level of a major BCS school as long as there are 3 professional sports teams also in town. It simply isn't big enough. The AAC and other bigger conferences are a pipe dream for us unless we bring the state of New York to the table.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 01:10:50 PM by clodney »
"Don’t give me that WNY is getting favorable treatment here. WNY was getting screwed for years and this bill does very little to equalize things. We don’t want to hold back SB/BU & UA but UB has been working on 2020 for 5 years. Don’t say, ‘Because you’re at the finish line you have to wait for us'"

April 15, 2016, 02:09:01 PM
Reply #41

BRJACR75

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2016, 02:09:01 PM »
Verandaman,

You travel the country watching endless college football games and although you say you've met a ton of people who know what UB is, I'm sure they're also the type of people who could name all 11 Sun Belt schools.

As for Buffalo vs NY,
My opinion remains the same as always. Buffalo is not a brand that anyone east of Rochester is going to get behind or care about. The name Buffalo is synonymous with losing, bad weather, and being near Canada. I've said this a dozen times already but I grew up in Albany and it was universally accepted that Buffalo was at least an 8 hour drive away and you needed a pack of sled dogs to get there (this is probably also the reason that I even ended up at UB since I was one of your prototypical "I need to get as far away as possible" prospective college students). I never went past Syracuse one single time in my childhood because in my mind that was like going into the Badlands. However, I committed to the school on blind faith and it only took a few days of living on south campus to realize that every perception I had about Buffalo was completely wrong. It's a great town with a unique cultural identity, awesome food, and some great entertainment options. Not to mention, the weather is actually quite tolerable (unless you're in the south towns) and not really all that different from anywhere else in the northeast.

The problem though is that the city of Buffalo has embraced the inaccurate negative perceptions instead of attempting to eliminate them. It's almost like people in Buffalo relish the fact that everyone in the country thinks they're completely irrational for living there. All this has done is detach the city from the rest of the state and it is because of this that I think calling ourselves "New York" or "New York State" is the only effective method if we want to get people east of Batavia to actually pay attention to our institution and finally take the time to understand some of the good qualities that exist in WNY. And who cares if people in North Carolina see "New York" on our jerseys and think of New York City? At least it starts a conversation about our school that otherwise would never happen, not to mention you get to immediately correct them and explain how Buffalo is actually in New York state and then give them the standard spiel about "the largest, most comprehensive...". The second that these people hear New York, they're intrigued because it's a brand with tremendous value. We are incredibly lucky to have access to it and we should be taking advantage before other schools do. New York immediately makes people think we are a large, important school instead of a small regional college. It gets them thinking we possibly belong in the same sentence as schools like Rutgers and UCONN, instead of constantly needing to correct the constant misconception that we are more closely aligned to schools like Wisconsin-Green Bay and Cleveland State. This is the reality outside of WNY whether people want to accept it or not.

Ultimately, it would take years to develop but it would be a huge improvement for both our school and the city of Buffalo in the long run if the school was able to connect itself to the rest of New York State. Only then would we be able to attract a larger conference and be able to achieve the other pillars of the original NYBI. Without New York in our name, nobody cares. We could win the MAC every single year in football but people across the country will still see our school as an irrelevant midmajor.

Lastly, backing out of the New York Bulls Initiative is an utter disaster. All it does is show that UB tried to connect with the rest of the state and failed. Our own people shot down our attempt at expanding the reach of this university to the rest of New York because for some reason they are under the delusion that the city of Buffalo alone can support this institution. It can't. Buffalo will never fully support this school to the level of a major BCS school as long as there are 3 professional sports teams also in town. It simply isn't big enough. The AAC and other bigger conferences are a pipe dream for us unless we bring the state of New York to the table.

All your losing is the "Screaming NEW YORK" logo.  Everything else about NYBI is going to be continued WITH the full force of the Entire University behind it.  White always talked about telling UB's "story", but he was trying to do it on their own with athletics, and IMHO, it had no bark to its bite without the University behind it sharing that vision. 

I dont know if you heard what Tripathi had to say, but he specifically said that UB, The Entire University, has to be bold in telling what UB is all about, using the AAU status, being the most comprehensive and largest, etc.... that we always talk about, but being louder and bolder and UNIFIED in telling UB's Story to the State, the Nation, and the World.

This has more potential to turn into better things.  If they truly do what they say and are bolder with it, eventually "New York State University" is going to start ending up in people mouths, and hopefully it rolls down hill from there, especially with the Entire University on board and running with it.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 02:20:06 PM by BRJACR75 »

April 15, 2016, 04:25:36 PM
Reply #42

SGBull

• Information
  • Verbal Commit
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2016, 04:25:36 PM »
Verandaman,

As for Buffalo vs NY,

I agree with most of what you said. Maybe it is because I am from the Albany area as well...

April 15, 2016, 05:50:10 PM
Reply #43

Jeff_Lebowski

• Information
  • First Year Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2016, 05:50:10 PM »
Am I the only one who thinks the new logo looks too much like a knock-off of the Bucks new logo? It isn't bad, but it is a step below the full body bull logo in my eyes.

April 16, 2016, 09:04:49 AM
Reply #44

verandaman

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2016, 09:04:49 AM »
Brook, I tried to get away with paying in CDN $, but the boys in the ticket office wouldn't let me; and worse yet, the guys at Blue and White figured me out too!  So greenbacks it was.  Now if I could just convince Revenue Canada to allow me to use the payments as a deduction...........my contributions to UB are all on an after-tax basis (boo-hiss).

Clodney, I needed to look up and count the number of teams in the Sun Belt.  Guess I was confused with the Chanticleers not coming in until next year :-)  Actually the sports fans I talk to are on the golf course in Florida, for the most part.  A lot of Ohio St, Michigan and Wisconsin fans.  But I have met an ODU fan and a few VT folks.  I digress................

I could go back and see who made the point first in this thread, but won't bother.  I'll just give credit to whoever takes it.  The point about building brand by winning.  If you win, people know you.  If not, then not so much.  North Dakota State Bison tickets @ Iowa this September are more expensive on resale market than Miami, OH (surprise, surprise) or Iowa State (just a long time in-state rival).  My theory is that folks in Iowa City realize that NDSU is likely to put up the better game as a multi time National Champion (FCS). 

So, I hope my donations (non-tax deductible) are used to help build winning programs...........it is more fun to sit in a full stadium (watching Memphis beat Ole Miss last year in a sold out Liberty Bowl was one of the best games I've ever seen........forgive me Chad Kelly fans).

Win or lose, though, Dar and I will still drive to UB and cheer Horns Up!
"The more you know, the more you know you don't know" - Aristotle

This site is READ ONLY