As of 8/24/2018, this site has been archived. Please visit http://www.ubfan.com for the new site
THIS SITE IS READ ONLY

Author Topic: Kent St  (Read 11284 times)

January 30, 2018, 09:39:53 PM
Reply #45

UB92

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
Re: Kent St
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2018, 09:39:53 PM »
Almost felt like Oats was sending a message at the end there. Maybe I'm overthinking things but he new a loss was possible (and maybe that it could teach us a lesson) held his timeouts and said to the team YOU figure it out and deal with result. idk...

Oats 1000% was sending a message.  I sat behind him, basically, the whole game.

When it got tough, I think the team was looking to the bench.  He let them play it out to see who wanted the ball when it was tight that last 5 minutes or so.  Everyone looked to Harris and Kent knew it.  Perkins lost his cool, but wanted the ball.  Many others were standing around trying to see who was going to do something.  It was eye opening and, I think, Oats learned so much more about his team that he could use for the rest of the season than, say, the Akron game.

Give Kent credit...they played hard and hit their FTs.
The State University of New York. 

Blue. White. Damn Right.

January 30, 2018, 09:53:51 PM
Reply #46

squire17

• Information
  • All Rookie Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2018, 09:53:51 PM »
Almost felt like Oats was sending a message at the end there. Maybe I'm overthinking things but he new a loss was possible (and maybe that it could teach us a lesson) held his timeouts and said to the team YOU figure it out and deal with result. idk...

When it got tough, I think the team was looking to the bench.  He let them play it out to see who wanted the ball when it was tight that last 5 minutes or so.  Everyone looked to Harris and Kent knew it.  Perkins lost his cool, but wanted the ball.  Many others were standing around trying to see who was going to do something.  It was eye opening and, I think, Oats learned so much more about his team that he could use for the rest of the season than, say, the Akron game.

What did Oats learn, I wonder? His team gave up 48 points in the second half. This is getting to be a trend. Sure Toledo lost, and the Bulls will probably still be a top 4 seed going to Cleveland. No chance for an at-large berth now. They better suck it up and playa lot smarter and with way way more intensity or they will be dragging their tail in March.

January 30, 2018, 10:06:01 PM
Reply #47

Jeseph

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • True Blue Co-Founder and Alumni
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2018, 10:06:01 PM »
We just won’t 9 of our last 10... win at home Friday and the wheels have hardly fallen off. We were simply not going 18-0 in this conference.

January 30, 2018, 10:14:48 PM
Reply #48

squire17

• Information
  • All Rookie Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2018, 10:14:48 PM »
The Bulls have surrendered 184 points in the last 4 second halves...that is 46 points per half. That can not stand.

January 30, 2018, 10:30:41 PM
Reply #49

sportscliche

• Information
  • Verbal Commit
  • SUNYAB BSEE 1981; MSEE 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2018, 10:30:41 PM »
Maybe Oats has concluded that a perfect MAC record will not be enough for an at-large bid if the team stumbles in the conference tourney. I’m inclined to agree.  There’s just way too much interest in the power conferences and those spots will disappear quickly on Selection Sunday. Taking a loss here might contribute to the singular purpose of winning three games in Cleveland.

January 30, 2018, 10:46:21 PM
Reply #50

UB92

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2018, 10:46:21 PM »

What did Oats learn, I wonder? His team gave up 48 points in the second half. This is getting to be a trend. Sure Toledo lost, and the Bulls will probably still be a top 4 seed going to Cleveland. No chance for an at-large berth now. They better suck it up and playa lot smarter and with way way more intensity or they will be dragging their tail in March.

He never stopped the run with time outs. 

It was 7, then 5, then 2.  I think he wanted to see what they would do in crunch time.  I am sure he did not like what he saw...on both ends of the floor.
The State University of New York. 

Blue. White. Damn Right.

January 31, 2018, 05:18:52 AM
Reply #51

MillenniumBull

• Information
  • Redshirt Freshman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2018, 05:18:52 AM »
First, there never was any shot at an at large bid, so nothing was “lost” tonight except the game.

Caruthers is not healthy yet.

Clark is not healthy yet.

CJ is at his best with healthy point guards.

Please stop traveling Jordan!

I hate when we come out the gate shooting hot. I know it sounds crazy, but we stop moving the ball and playing our game.

I voted Kent in the poll I posted.  Toledo took it on the chin at home tonight.  Kent is the team that scares me in Cleveland.

January 31, 2018, 10:08:26 AM
Reply #52

ubfan75

• Information
  • Signed Recruit
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2018, 10:08:26 AM »
First, there never was any shot at an at large bid, so nothing was “lost” tonight except the game.

I hate when we come out the gate shooting hot. I know it sounds crazy, but we stop moving the ball and playing our game.

I voted Kent in the poll I posted.  Toledo took it on the chin at home tonight.  Kent is the team that scares me in Cleveland.

I agree with every point. I'll add:

The referees that we most often see are average to below average.

I'm all for recruiting HS players, but I've had an issue with NOT acquiring a transfer big man. 7 footers out of HS are slow to develop and are a gamble. IMO, Oats should have recognized the superior talent of this years team and gone after an experienced big man (perhaps he did and didn't find one; and yes, I know they don't grow on trees).
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 10:14:18 AM by ubfan75 »

January 31, 2018, 10:38:37 AM
Reply #53

weareub46

• Information
  • Four Year Starter
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2018, 10:38:37 AM »
The loss last night still stings today. I even knew this was gunna be a rough one but after having an 18 point lead in the first half I'm especially bitter. Earlier in the season we had mediocre first halves and would pull away in the second half like great teams do. Now it's flipped and does not make me feel good come tournament time.

You could just feel they Kent was going to squeak it out the whole second half and then energy wasn't there for the bulls.

MAC refs suck but they're always partial towards the home team...including us. The one call that drove me nuts though was the lack of goaltending. We didn't get a replay but holy cow from my perspective that thing was halfway down in a critical time. Everything counts when you lose by only 3 and I thought that was garbage.

Kent doesn't scare me when they're not at home though.

I agree this team needed to learn a lesson but when you're undefeated in conference and on a major win streak I don't agree with giving them a message on the road during a nail biter like this. You play to win the game. Let's hope the team responds though for the rest of the season. I see @CMU being a rough one and closing out the season @BG but besides for that we should be able to get back to our winning ways.

January 31, 2018, 10:38:56 AM
Reply #54

Kevin

• Information
  • All Rookie Team
  • UB Basketball Die Hard ('06 - Present)
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2018, 10:38:56 AM »

I'm all for recruiting HS players, but I've had an issue with NOT acquiring a transfer big man. 7 footers out of HS are slow to develop and are a gamble. IMO, Oats should have recognized the superior talent of this years team and gone after an experienced big man (perhaps he did and didn't find one; and yes, I know they don't grow on trees).

I firmly agree witih this, but UB was in until the last minute on Carlton Bragg (5 star transfer from kansas who just chose new mexico state)

The forward play has been bad, and is the reason they could falter, we had better play from many previous teams.

The guard play (which they say wins you conferences though) is as good as UB has ever had.

January 31, 2018, 11:16:40 AM
Reply #55

ubfan75

• Information
  • Signed Recruit
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2018, 11:16:40 AM »
The loss last night still stings today. I even knew this was gunna be a rough one but after having an 18 point lead in the first half I'm especially bitter. Earlier in the season we had mediocre first halves and would pull away in the second half like great teams do. Now it's flipped and does not make me feel good come tournament time.

You could just feel they Kent was going to squeak it out the whole second half and then energy wasn't there for the bulls.

MAC refs suck but they're always partial towards the home team...including us. The one call that drove me nuts though was the lack of goaltending. We didn't get a replay but holy cow from my perspective that thing was halfway down in a critical time. Everything counts when you lose by only 3 and I thought that was garbage.

Kent doesn't scare me when they're not at home though.

I agree this team needed to learn a lesson but when you're undefeated in conference and on a major win streak I don't agree with giving them a message on the road during a nail biter like this. You play to win the game. Let's hope the team responds though for the rest of the season. I see @CMU being a rough one and closing out the season @BG but besides for that we should be able to get back to our winning ways.

Referees aren't exclusive to any one conference, but the MAC assignor seems to employ a pretty limited pool cuz we see the same slugs all the time. There are a few good refs, though. Kevin Ferguson comes to mind, who I've seen at our games (maybe 1 or 2 times per season), the A10, the MAAC and maybe Horizon. Whether last nights game was an intentional teachable moment or not, the effect should be the same. Hopefully.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 11:25:14 AM by ubfan75 »

January 31, 2018, 11:45:42 AM
Reply #56

clodney

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2018, 11:45:42 AM »
No timeouts taken until we've completely blown an 18-pt lead? Never doubling up the post and leaving Ikenna on an island getting destroyed over and over again by a 7-footer? It was piss poor coaching, but I'm not going to hold it against Oats. He's been phenomenal this year and it was completely out of the norm, so much so that I'm convinced he was trying to convey some type of a message to the guys.

We were NEVER getting an at-large. That possibility was squandered when CJ blew the Cuse game with his worst shooting performance of his career. That was our best chance to knock off a big boy and actually have a slight shot at an at-large. Beating every 2018 MAC school 100x would still not be enough to convince the committee to take us.

We are still in the driver's seat and nothing has changed.
"Don’t give me that WNY is getting favorable treatment here. WNY was getting screwed for years and this bill does very little to equalize things. We don’t want to hold back SB/BU & UA but UB has been working on 2020 for 5 years. Don’t say, ‘Because you’re at the finish line you have to wait for us'"

January 31, 2018, 11:53:14 AM
Reply #57

guru

• Information
  • Signed Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2018, 11:53:14 AM »
The game was there for the taking but a number of things happened that are a concern. For the first time in awhile Coach Oats was out coached. When Kent had the momentum and was on a run a coach calsl a timeout to stop the momentum and get the players to settle down. I do not agree that you learn a lot from losing. Winning builds confidence  and you can still learn from winning. That is why coaches watch film of a game. Their are always teachable moments. Perkins has to play under control and as evidenced by last night lost his cool again. McCrea and Smart do not do a good job on the boards or defending underneath. It's too bad that Bertram did not get enough time in early games mainly due to his knee injury to see if he could develop. He does seem to have a high basketball IQ but he needed more playing time to get more confidence in his game. Looking forward to Fri's game and hopefully a sellout with big time student attendance. Go Bulls!!!!

January 31, 2018, 12:11:31 PM
Reply #58

Dave S

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - squid4lyfe1
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2018, 12:11:31 PM »

I firmly agree witih this, but UB was in until the last minute on Carlton Bragg (5 star transfer from kansas who just chose new mexico state)

The forward play has been bad, and is the reason they could falter, we had better play from many previous teams.

The guard play (which they say wins you conferences though) is as good as UB has ever had.

Outside of Perkins, the frontcourt play is bad. Smart does what he can do, but he's never really improved. Too slow with no quickness or athleticism. Bergtram is clearly not progressing like they projected. Mcrae works hard but is limited skill wise. Even Perkins has been inefficient near the hoop when matched up with bigger foes.

I know Oats' game is to space the floor out and create off the dribble, and that's probably the best recipe for success for mid-major programs, but he really needs one of the big guys to step up.

If they had that De La Rosa kid from Kent on this team they'd be nearly impossible to stop in the MAC.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 12:34:27 PM by Dave S »

January 31, 2018, 12:29:45 PM
Reply #59

guru

• Information
  • Signed Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2018, 12:29:45 PM »
Agree with your analysis Dave S. The coaching staff sees the same thing. All the recruits they are interested in after next year's recruiting class are big, athletic forwards who can not only shoot but rebound and defend.. The future will be bright if they can land some of these players. Go Bulls!!!

This site is READ ONLY