As of 8/24/2018, this site has been archived. Please visit http://www.ubfan.com for the new site
THIS SITE IS READ ONLY

Author Topic: WMU Game (2/2 - 7:00pm)  (Read 6679 times)

February 01, 2018, 09:20:00 AM
Read 6679 times

Kevin

• Information
  • All Rookie Team
  • UB Basketball Die Hard ('06 - Present)
    • View Profile
WMU Game (2/2 - 7:00pm)
« on: February 01, 2018, 09:20:00 AM »
Huge game to rebound from that debacle in Kent.

Need to show they are still in charge and the last 8 minutes was a total fluke (97% chance they should have won)

Oats was just on WGR, and dropped a nice "we don't know what students look like". So that's a good challenge for students to make it out this game.

UB 82
WMU 70

February 01, 2018, 09:26:35 AM
Reply #1

clodney

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
Re: WMU Game (2/2 - 7:00pm)
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 09:26:35 AM »
Oats was just on WGR, and dropped a nice "we don't know what students look like". So that's a good challenge for students to make it out this game.

He's right. Everyone always says "the crowd sucks because the students are on break" but doesn't that statement only apply to students who aren't from WNY? We are supposed to have a ton of local kids attending UB so why do none of them ever show up for games during the breaks?

I think we struggle in this one and it actually leads to us playing a full game instead of only showing up for the first half. We win by 10.
"Don’t give me that WNY is getting favorable treatment here. WNY was getting screwed for years and this bill does very little to equalize things. We don’t want to hold back SB/BU & UA but UB has been working on 2020 for 5 years. Don’t say, ‘Because you’re at the finish line you have to wait for us'"

February 01, 2018, 10:12:35 AM
Reply #2

mikescherrer8

• Information
  • Signed Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 10:12:35 AM »

I mean, if they keep winning, the students will show up, that's usually how it works with any school in WNY. This isn't a college sports loving area. It's all about the Bills and Sabres. If Nate wants to see the student section full, and the stands full in general, then he and his coaching staff can be the one's to build that culture. The foundation is set with the current roster and the recruiting class next year, so keep building off that.

February 01, 2018, 10:41:49 AM
Reply #3

skrabukes

• Information
  • Verbal Commit
    • AOL Instant Messenger - skrabukes5
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 10:41:49 AM »
 "We are supposed to have a ton of local kids attending UB so why do none of them ever show up for games during the breaks?"

I say this often and wonder why there are no local students attending when school is not in session. The arena should be full at all times, regardless of in/out of session. The team is too good and too exciting to watch for there to be any open seats. There shouldn't have to be a giveaway in order to draw people to the games. I know that I have had no trouble giving away my extra tickets this year, for the men's or women's games!

February 01, 2018, 11:17:05 AM
Reply #4

guru

• Information
  • Signed Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 11:17:05 AM »
This will be a big test for the team to see how the coaches and players respond especially in front of a big crowd. On the subject of fan/student culture and attendance. Agree that winning and having an exciting up tempo type team really can help fan interest. I am tired of hearing that this is a Bills/Sabres town and the News does nothing to truly change  that fact. Sadly it is the culture that we live in now. We are bombarded by the pro sports scene and many fans like our family grew up during the era of college sports in the area. I have said in past opinions that UB does not do even to change the culture of fans/students. The marketing people and admin should be out trying to increase interest. We have talked to marketing people in the past and asked them why not promote every game like you are doing for the WMU game and they have no response. That is what they are being paid for. Why is it that for only a few games a year UB is promoting "Operation 6,000" for the WMU game? That should be going on for every game. Our family has had many of our children attend UB and seldom have they told us that there was ever any mention during class of an upcoming UB game. Where are all the professors at the games? Again this is the culture we live in today. Our family will continue to be passionate about UB sports and local college sports in general. Go Bulls!!!

February 01, 2018, 11:23:38 AM
Reply #5

UB85

• Information
  • Position Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 11:23:38 AM »
If they can't put two halves together and defend with intensity in this game, then we may well have overrated this bunch. I think not.

UB 105 WMU 72.

February 01, 2018, 12:34:21 PM
Reply #6

skrabukes

• Information
  • Verbal Commit
    • AOL Instant Messenger - skrabukes5
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 12:34:21 PM »
This will be a big test for the team to see how the coaches and players respond especially in front of a big crowd. On the subject of fan/student culture and attendance. Agree that winning and having an exciting up tempo type team really can help fan interest. I am tired of hearing that this is a Bills/Sabres town and the News does nothing to truly change  that fact. Sadly it is the culture that we live in now. We are bombarded by the pro sports scene and many fans like our family grew up during the era of college sports in the area. I have said in past opinions that UB does not do even to change the culture of fans/students. The marketing people and admin should be out trying to increase interest. We have talked to marketing people in the past and asked them why not promote every game like you are doing for the WMU game and they have no response. That is what they are being paid for. Why is it that for only a few games a year UB is promoting "Operation 6,000" for the WMU game? That should be going on for every game. Our family has had many of our children attend UB and seldom have they told us that there was ever any mention during class of an upcoming UB game. Where are all the professors at the games? Again this is the culture we live in today. Our family will continue to be passionate about UB sports and local college sports in general. Go Bulls!!!

Well said! I hope that 6000 will be the floor for all remaining games at Alumni Arena! It should be the expectation, not the hope/dream. The product is too good for it not to be a full house. The boys are going to come up big on Friday night, just as UB85 predicts, and he is rarely off base!

February 01, 2018, 07:59:40 PM
Reply #7

UBFan99

• Information
  • Four Year Starter
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 07:59:40 PM »
I am tired of hearing that this is a Bills/Sabres town and the News does nothing to truly change  that fact.

Well get used to it for football. People aren’t doing to be headed out at 7:30pm on a Tuesday night to sit in the freezing cold to watch UB host Akron. It’s just so different from the nfl scene I don’t even need to explain it.

Winning will only go so far here for football when UB plays in the MAC and is historically an embarsssing program. It’s gonna take a looooong while to rework that image, and it’s why so many people suggest focusing on basketball and becoming a basketball school and not bothering with Mac football.

February 02, 2018, 12:08:15 AM
Reply #8

sportscliche

• Information
  • Verbal Commit
  • SUNYAB BSEE 1981; MSEE 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 12:08:15 AM »
Here’s a quandary for me, an alum non-resident getting information through the myopic lens of television: KeyBank Arena in downtown Buffalo has hosted games in the NCAA tournament multiple times in recent years. This venue has a huge capacity, especially for basketball, and appears (on TV) to be really, really full. Yes, a good chunk of those in attendance are from out of town, supporting one of the four schools playing. But I gotta think there are plenty of locals there as well...no particular team allegiance; just wishing to experience the spectacle without having the travel costs and hassles. I believe the locals know and care about college basketball, yet this interest doesn’t seem to translate to season-long support of WNY D1 teams at the level I’d expect. UB in particular is showing that it is a high caliber program and a constant post-season threat. Quite disappointing.

February 02, 2018, 03:18:26 PM
Reply #9

enrique14150

• Information
  • Redshirt Freshman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2018, 03:18:26 PM »
I'm so tired of the same questions being asked again and again about why we don't see bigger crowds.  By now, you all know the answers.

Why don't more people come to the games?  Answer - because it's 2018, not 1968, people have a lot of stuff to keep their time, attention, and money.  In 2018 you can watch all kinds of sports, many from better levels, at home on TV.  Because a casual basketball fan can see better basketball, with much less effort, from home.  Because it's a Tuesday night or a Saturday afternoon and it's not like everyone is sitting around with nothing to do.

Why don't more students come to the games?  Answer - the ones that do come are largely the ones that live on campus, because it's something to do and they're already nearby.  If you're a commuter, you drove up there, spent all day on campus, drove home for dinner, are you going to drive back now?  Because the Christmas break and winter session in January mean they're gone from campus for a third of the season.

We here in Buffalo like to act like we're special, in this case, as if this problem is exclusive to UB.  Look around, almost every college program is facing the same challenges.  It's not us, there isn't something inherently wrong with the Buffalo area's support or the students and alumni of this institution.  I just read the same pleas and arguments on a Northeastern thread (my undergrad alum) - where is everyone, why aren't people coming, what's wrong with them, etc.  This is certainly not to suggest that you accept it and do nothing.  Rather, I want to see that the department is making an effort, and they have been.  The TV ads and facebook posts are promoting the games and the teams and getting the word out there.  Crowds seem to be up this season.  All this despite the lack of marquee non-conference home matchups.  They did a good job getting the kids and families in there over Christmas break.  Every year the fanbase grows a bit.  I used to ask these questions too, but by now I've realized that I don't need to ask anymore, I know the answers.

February 02, 2018, 04:38:29 PM
Reply #10

guru

• Information
  • Signed Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2018, 04:38:29 PM »
Good recap of the attendance issue Enrique. I have said in many of my rants pretty much what you stated. It is a generation and culture change that seems to be here to stay. Our family has been local college basketball fans since the 70"s and have soured on the pro sports scene. Hope that UB continue to market the teams and more fans give the UB teams a look see. Both the men's and women's teams are giving us an exciting brand of basketball. Go Bulls!!!!

February 02, 2018, 06:22:02 PM
Reply #11

squire17

• Information
  • All Rookie Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2018, 06:22:02 PM »
Bulls 87-69 Attendance 6175

February 02, 2018, 09:17:34 PM
Reply #12

sportscliche

• Information
  • Verbal Commit
  • SUNYAB BSEE 1981; MSEE 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2018, 09:17:34 PM »
Packed house tonight. Can’t ask for more than that.

February 02, 2018, 09:52:56 PM
Reply #13

MillenniumBull

• Information
  • Redshirt Freshman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2018, 09:52:56 PM »
Just finished watching the game, couldn’t watch the last minute or so because the DVR cut out.

Great crowd, happy to have students back. Will always wish we move the student section back. Does the Athletic Department not realize they are part of the show?

Another fantastic shooting night. Jordan’s defense was spectacular.

Not down on Smart, he just needs to take a fraction of a second more when receiving the ball under the net. Your a big man! (Seriously he looks like he could bend a lead pipe with his hands) gather and go strong!

We play small ball. Why are we leaving our bigs on an island game in and game out? Constantly we allow the other team’s bigs 4-5 dripples with no double. Come down, double, rotate, we have the necessary quickness to do so. Not every team in the MAC can beat us in Cleveland by just going inside, but a few can. And we need to be prepped to combat such.

February 02, 2018, 10:41:47 PM
Reply #14

admin

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2018, 10:41:47 PM »
Good bounce back win.
Looks like operation 6000 was a success.
Good job by the athletics department in promoting. Hope the community gets excited for this team. This team can make a run.

This site is READ ONLY