As of 8/24/2018, this site has been archived. Please visit http://www.ubfan.com for the new site
THIS SITE IS READ ONLY

Author Topic: First team All MAC  (Read 4744 times)

February 10, 2018, 12:37:02 PM
Read 4744 times

MillenniumBull

• Information
  • Redshirt Freshman
    • View Profile
    • Email
First team All MAC
« on: February 10, 2018, 12:37:02 PM »
Was having this discussion with a fellow alum yesterday, and I think we changed each other’s minds multiple times...

Fletcher from Toledo is a shoe in and POY.

JT4 (EMU) and Wiggins (BG) definitely have to be on too.

Wilder (WMU), tho I wouldn’t trade him for our guards (if trading was a thing) will be there too.

And can you leave off Ringo (UM)? I wouldn’t.

There is time left and things can change, but those would be my 5 at this point. And I would put 4 Bulls on the 2nd team. Hell, give UB the entire 2nd team. Put Jordan on there just to recitfy the injustice of no UB players on the 1st team. But it is kinda crazy to think as good as this team is, I can’t justify a player making first team all MAC. That’s sharing the ball and great basketball. Thank you Coach Oats.

February 10, 2018, 01:15:34 PM
Reply #1

BasketBull

• Information
  • Position Coach
  • BU--FF--AL--O--GO
    • View Profile
Re: First team All MAC
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 01:15:34 PM »
Agree with Fletcher at POTY at this point.

If I was voting today here's what I'd do:

1st Team:
Thomas Wilder
CJ Massinburg
Tre'Shaun Fletcher
Nick Perkins
James Thompson

2nd Team:
Eugene German
Jaylin Walker
Wes Clark
Jeremy Harris
Demajeo Wiggins

Honorable Mention:
Darrian Ringo
Taylor Persons
Teyvion Kirk
Cecil Williams
Adonis De La Rosa

Honorable mention is tough because there's a few guys that deserve a spot there there just wasn't space for. Sanford, Minnie, and Justin Turner come to mind.

Freshmen that should be considered for the all freshman team: Kirk, Turner, Sibande, M. Jackson and Adaway look good but I haven't been paying too much to the freshman around the conference.

I'd wager coach of the year will be down to Oats, Kowalczyk and Owens at Miami.

February 14, 2018, 01:03:35 PM
Reply #2

MillenniumBull

• Information
  • Redshirt Freshman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 01:03:35 PM »
Last I checked Ringo was top 10 in the nation (not just MAC) in both assists and steals. Sounds like 1st team to me. You have him as honorable mention, even playing on a .500 squad, you have to give respect.  And Wiggins is probably the most complete big man in our league. Without him BG would be terrible.

So even if you take those 2 off, next in line is probably German, then Perkins/Harris. Can’t see CJ at this point, and no, I’m not over reacting to the last few games. Excellent defense and passing by CJ tonight. And maybe more importantly being the leader and keeping teammates in check when need be.

February 15, 2018, 12:19:15 PM
Reply #3

Kevin

• Information
  • All Rookie Team
  • UB Basketball Die Hard ('06 - Present)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 12:19:15 PM »
I hope Harris makes 1st team. He's been the best player in the conference.

February 15, 2018, 03:48:53 PM
Reply #4

BullsFan14

• Information
  • Verbal Commit
  • BS '14, EdM'16
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 03:48:53 PM »
I think if Harris keeps it up through the MAC Tournament he will be on the 1st team.

February 16, 2018, 12:33:51 AM
Reply #5

BrooklynBull

• Information
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 12:33:51 AM »
I think if Harris keeps it up through the MAC Tournament he will be on the 1st team.

Tournament play is irrelevant to All-MAC teams.  They are announced jut as the games in Cleveland are starting.

February 16, 2018, 09:19:02 AM
Reply #6

BullsFan14

• Information
  • Verbal Commit
  • BS '14, EdM'16
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 09:19:02 AM »

Tournament play is irrelevant to All-MAC teams.  They are announced jut as the games in Cleveland are starting.

I retract part of my statement! If Harris keeps it up for the last games I think he has a shot at first team. Thanks for the info!

February 16, 2018, 10:50:35 AM
Reply #7

clodney

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 10:50:35 AM »
I wouldn't put Perkins anywhere near the top team. He's mediocre at best on defense and he takes a lot of ill advised shots. I like Harris to be first team though. He's steadily improved all year and lately he's been one of the most consistent offensive threats in the conference. Everyone else on the team has had trouble maintaining consistent production.
"Don’t give me that WNY is getting favorable treatment here. WNY was getting screwed for years and this bill does very little to equalize things. We don’t want to hold back SB/BU & UA but UB has been working on 2020 for 5 years. Don’t say, ‘Because you’re at the finish line you have to wait for us'"

February 16, 2018, 05:08:37 PM
Reply #8

MillenniumBull

• Information
  • Redshirt Freshman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2018, 05:08:37 PM »
I wouldn't put Perkins anywhere near the top team. He's mediocre at best on defense and he takes a lot of ill advised shots. I like Harris to be first team though. He's steadily improved all year and lately he's been one of the most consistent offensive threats in the conference. Everyone else on the team has had trouble maintaining consistent production.

I think your being overly critical of Perkins defense, often he is on the floor with 4 guards and guarding players with 3-4 inches on him. He has bulk, so he isn’t going to get pushed around, but guys can shoot over him and MAC refs aren’t great at letting them play anyway.

March 05, 2018, 02:31:56 PM
Reply #9

BasketBull

• Information
  • Position Coach
  • BU--FF--AL--O--GO
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2018, 02:31:56 PM »
All-MAC Teams were released a little while ago. Massinburg and Perkins 1st team, Harris 2nd team and Clark third team.

Jordan also made the all Defensive team.

Clark probably should have been second team but I think those selections are pretty fair.

Tomorrow they announce Freshman of the Year, 6th Man and Defensive POTY. Wednesday is Player of the Year and Coach of the Year.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 03:24:51 PM by BasketBull »

March 05, 2018, 02:42:52 PM
Reply #10

UB85

• Information
  • Position Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2018, 02:42:52 PM »
Congratulations to the players earning recognition today! It takes a lot of determination, hard work and good fortune to get to the top.

Perkins’ defense is a mixed bag. He’s a pretty good post defender. He moves his feet well and has the massive body to hold his spot if not take advantage of other post players. Where his defense is shabby is his help defense. He rarely if ever moves his feet to cut off a guard from the opposing team who gets into the lane as he should, and instead tries to block the shot which he rarely does. As I’ve written before this is a glaring weakness for the entire team with the exception of Graves and to a lesser extent Carruthers.

March 05, 2018, 03:15:59 PM
Reply #11

BrooklynBull

• Information
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2018, 03:15:59 PM »
All-MAC Teams were released a little while ago. Massinburg and Perkins 1st team, Harris 2nd team and Clark honorable mention.

Clark probably should have been second team but I think those selections are pretty fair.

Tomorrow they announce Freshman of the Year, 6th Man and Defensive POTY. Wednesday is Player of the Year and Coach of the Year.

Clark was 3rd team All-MAC.

March 05, 2018, 03:25:15 PM
Reply #12

BasketBull

• Information
  • Position Coach
  • BU--FF--AL--O--GO
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2018, 03:25:15 PM »
All-MAC Teams were released a little while ago. Massinburg and Perkins 1st team, Harris 2nd team and Clark honorable mention.

Clark was 3rd team All-MAC.

Thanks for catching that. Edited.

March 05, 2018, 04:31:38 PM
Reply #13

MillenniumBull

• Information
  • Redshirt Freshman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2018, 04:31:38 PM »
Sanford and Persons getting on the 2nd team is a joke. Neither one of those guys can play a lick of defense. What good is scoring 20 if the guy your guarding scores 25?

March 06, 2018, 09:00:28 AM
Reply #14

cheese_66

• Information
  • Prospect
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2018, 09:00:28 AM »
An interesting thing I've found looking at the All MAC teams: if you combine the first three all MAC teams and the honorable mentions, there is a combined three seniors - Fletcher, Wilder, and Clark. That means 17 of the top 20 players in the conference return barring transfers. This should shape up for a really competitive conference next year

This site is READ ONLY