As of 8/24/2018, this site has been archived. Please visit http://www.ubfan.com for the new site
THIS SITE IS READ ONLY

Author Topic: BG Game (2/16 - 7:00pm)  (Read 6616 times)

February 16, 2018, 10:11:20 AM
Read 6616 times

Kevin

• Information
  • All Rookie Team
  • UB Basketball Die Hard ('06 - Present)
    • View Profile
BG Game (2/16 - 7:00pm)
« on: February 16, 2018, 10:11:20 AM »
UB favored by 14 points.

What's at stake?

Randomly, a lot.

UB can clinch the MAC East alone with a win
UB can clinch the 3 seed with a win.
UB can clinch the 2 seed with a win and a Ball State loss.
UB will have beaten every team in the MAC
UB can get to 20 wins for only the 7th time ever

All of this with FOUR games remaining
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 11:55:14 PM by Kevin »

February 16, 2018, 10:14:10 AM
Reply #1

mikescherrer8

• Information
  • Signed Recruit
    • View Profile
Bowling Green Game 2/16
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 10:14:10 AM »
Bulls taking on Bowling Green tonight at 7 at Alumni Arena.

The game is on ESPNU and Buffalo is the favorite by 14 points.

I think this is a game where UB cannot overlook Bowling Green, as BG are on a bit of a streak the last 5 games winning 4 of those games. Still, I think UB should win this game, but the question is, can they finally play a full 40 minute game?

What are everyone's predictions?

February 16, 2018, 10:39:25 AM
Reply #2

UB92

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
Re: Bowling Green Game 2/16
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 10:39:25 AM »
I think, finally, we are going to get two halves of basketball from the Bulls.

UB 84
BGSU 67

The lead is never less than 10 in the second half.
The State University of New York. 

Blue. White. Damn Right.

February 16, 2018, 11:12:30 AM
Reply #3

guru

• Information
  • Signed Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 11:12:30 AM »
Agree,  UB cannot overlook them. A lot at stake and seedings will be important. They have 6 players that average between 21-33 minutes per game with 3 others who average between 14-16 minutes. Their freshman 6Ft4 guard Turner averages 15 points and shooting over 40% from the field and 80% from foul line. Their 6Ft10 center Wiggins is a beast averaging 14 points and 9.5 rebounds. Their other guard is 6ft2 Frye is averaging 12 points and shoots 74% from the foul line. One other tidbit is they have won 7 games when trailing by double digits so they probably will not be rattled if we get out to a big lead either in the 1st or 2nd half. If we continue our good ball distribution and can have consistent defensive intensity we should come out with the win. Hope for a big crowd of 5,000+ with strong student support. Go Bulls!!!

February 16, 2018, 11:52:47 AM
Reply #4

BullsFan14

• Information
  • Verbal Commit
  • BS '14, EdM'16
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 11:52:47 AM »
I think that this game will be closer than expected. I believe we go into half time up by around 7 or 8 and have a sloppy second half again.

My main concern is Nick Perkins and Ikenna Smart matching up against Demajeo Wiggins.

If they stay out of foul trouble, we will put this away.

Bowling Green 78
Buffalo 84

February 16, 2018, 11:56:01 AM
Reply #5

ChubbyHubby

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
  • WILL YOU CONSIDER HELPING OUT?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 11:56:01 AM »
Bulls - 92
BG - 78
PLEASE CONSIDER DONATING TO MY RIDE FOR ROSWELL
Ask me how you can help out.

February 16, 2018, 01:39:14 PM
Reply #6

squire17

• Information
  • All Rookie Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 01:39:14 PM »
The Bulls, over the last seven games, have given up close to 48 points per second half. They have been out scored in every one of the seven second halves. This is the game where they snap back to their earlier form: UB 95 BG 72. Perkins has monster game, I hope.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 03:47:10 PM by squire17 »

February 16, 2018, 04:43:52 PM
Reply #7

MillenniumBull

• Information
  • Redshirt Freshman
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: BG Game (2/16 - 7:00pm)
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 04:43:52 PM »
UB favored by 14 points.

What's a stake?

Randomly, a lot.

UB can clinch the MAC East alone with a win
UB can clinch the 3 seed with a win.
UB can clinch the 2 seed with a win and a Ball State loss.
UB will have beaten every team in the MAC
UB can get to 20 wins for only the 7th time ever

All of this with FOUR games remaining

So, a stake is a rod with one end sharpened to a point, generally used to keep a tent from blowing away or killing vampires.

Sorry, joking aside, a lot of good points you made. But I think the real importance of this game is that BG will not only be the last team we see before Cleveland, but a decent chance the first team we see in Cleveland. I want to see a strong message tonight that they have no shot at beating us.

February 16, 2018, 05:46:50 PM
Reply #8

sdubyas

• Information
  • Verbal Commit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2018, 05:46:50 PM »
I see no reason not to pick the Bulls.  Still concerned about 2nd half trend of letting up on the gas pedal and not maintaining leads.  That said I think they win 83-69. 

February 16, 2018, 07:30:02 PM
Reply #9

UBFan99

• Information
  • Four Year Starter
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2018, 07:30:02 PM »
Great night of local hoops with UB on espnu and Bonnies with a big game at home on ESPN 2.

February 16, 2018, 09:19:48 PM
Reply #10

Jeseph

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • True Blue Co-Founder and Alumni
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2018, 09:19:48 PM »
We need to play defense in the second half. But hey we won the east!

February 16, 2018, 09:46:45 PM
Reply #11

BrazenBull

• Information
  • Position Coach
  • Flecking Casual
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2018, 09:46:45 PM »
We need to play defense in the second half. But hey we won the east!

This

February 16, 2018, 10:57:31 PM
Reply #12

enrique14150

• Information
  • Redshirt Freshman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2018, 10:57:31 PM »
How is it possible to be so agitated, so angry at times, in games the team is winning by double digits? In a season where they've already clinched a tournament bye and wrapped up the division?  Are we spoiled?  Cranky?  No idea what else to do with ourselves in games we assume they'll win?

I think we're all just afraid they'll blow another game like they did at Kent and at NIU.  You can see it possibly happening.  And we're afraid that for all the good play we've seen, all the potential, it could disappear quickly in a game in Cleveland.  That's what is probably in the back of our minds.

Is there a gas leak in the home locker room at halftime lately?  The Bulls habitually build up a double digit halftime lead, then proceed to let it drain away as the other team comes out firing.  I think the defensive intensity is there, but they're allowing too many easy drives to the hoop for my taste as well as some problems dealing with an inside player kicking it back outside.  I liked how Oats put out a lineup with Reese, McRae, Carruthers, and Graves for a minute or two in the second half to change the intensity. 

I don't usually say anything about the refs but man, that crew blew their whistles a lot. It seemed like they called a lot of weak fouls early and a lot of off-the-ball fouls on offense, and as the game wore on they lost the ability to call some others by comparison.  Bulls did a good job hitting their foul shots tonight, at least it seemed so.

Perkins - 3 fouls on offense tonight.  Hit a big three down the stretch as well as the one at the end of the half.  Had another big game statistically when you kinda still think he can play better.  I loved how they started working that drive and roll to Perkins in the second half.  I kinda feel like he's very careful on defense these days - will get his position but isn't going nuts, can't afford to get in foul trouble.
Clark - a lot of guys need movement to open up their shots; Wes will just step right up and hit it. 
CJ - back to the good old CJ tonight.  When he gets on a roll, the other team doesn't know what hit them.  Hit his shots from the line.
Harris - you almost assume now that his shots are probably going in.  He has this little shimmy move he does with his shoulder when he drives, just a little, that gets the defender momentarily going the wrong way.  He and Clark have the ability to answer with a three at the right times.
Smart - just needs to be tougher underneath.  He's good for a layup or two on a put-back every game.
Graves - showed he could fly on a couple alley-oops
Carruthers - it seems like he just never is out there enough to get into the flow of things.  Even just to be as aggressive as he wants, he probably needs to read a guy's moves enough to do so.  Hit one of those wide-open threes that you say the guy is so open, you have to make this.

Nice crowd tonight, one that continues to reinforce the equation "Friday night game = big crowd".  I wish UB could figure out how to move traffic out of there quicker afterwards, maybe make it two lanes going either way from the lots?  I mean they're constrained by the fact that someone designed all those lots to empty into a two-lane road, while a 4-lane highway sits nearby.

As for BG - you were just slightly ahead of Bona in line when they handed out team colors.  At least make more use of the orange.  Frye - is...is your dad a big donor?  Is your uncle the school president?  Did you get into the team as a legacy like Flounder got into Delta House?  I mean, four air-balls.   And what does that say about the other guards on the bench, that you can't get minutes in a game over a guy who flung up FOUR air-balls?! 

What I would pay to see Dakich on that bench again.  Even just a replay of that game - we inquired with MSG to see if they'd gotten the tapes from Empire Sports, but I never heard back any further.

February 16, 2018, 11:16:06 PM
Reply #13

sportscliche

• Information
  • Verbal Commit
  • SUNYAB BSEE 1981; MSEE 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2018, 11:16:06 PM »
Interesting observations. I think the breakdown of interior defense is a direct consequence of the accumulated fouls. There’s a fine line between playing aggressive defense and getting into foul trouble. It almost felt like they were getting called on every defensive possession. Not sure what the coaches do about it...maybe just accept lots of damage on the inside and try to outscore the other guys.

February 17, 2018, 12:38:03 AM
Reply #14

Kevin

• Information
  • All Rookie Team
  • UB Basketball Die Hard ('06 - Present)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2018, 12:38:03 AM »
How is it possible to be so agitated, so angry at times, in games the team is winning by double digits? In a season where they've already clinched a tournament bye and wrapped up the division?  Are we spoiled?  Cranky?  No idea what else to do with ourselves in games we assume they'll win?

I think we're all just afraid they'll blow another game like they did at Kent and at NIU.  You can see it possibly happening.  And we're afraid that for all the good play we've seen, all the potential, it could disappear quickly in a game in Cleveland.  That's what is probably in the back of our minds.

Is there a gas leak in the home locker room at halftime lately?  The Bulls habitually build up a double digit halftime lead, then proceed to let it drain away as the other team comes out firing.  I think the defensive intensity is there, but they're allowing too many easy drives to the hoop for my taste as well as some problems dealing with an inside player kicking it back outside.  I liked how Oats put out a lineup with Reese, McRae, Carruthers, and Graves for a minute or two in the second half to change the intensity. 

I don't usually say anything about the refs but man, that crew blew their whistles a lot. It seemed like they called a lot of weak fouls early and a lot of off-the-ball fouls on offense, and as the game wore on they lost the ability to call some others by comparison.  Bulls did a good job hitting their foul shots tonight, at least it seemed so.

Perkins - 3 fouls on offense tonight.  Hit a big three down the stretch as well as the one at the end of the half.  Had another big game statistically when you kinda still think he can play better.  I loved how they started working that drive and roll to Perkins in the second half.  I kinda feel like he's very careful on defense these days - will get his position but isn't going nuts, can't afford to get in foul trouble.
Clark - a lot of guys need movement to open up their shots; Wes will just step right up and hit it. 
CJ - back to the good old CJ tonight.  When he gets on a roll, the other team doesn't know what hit them.  Hit his shots from the line.
Harris - you almost assume now that his shots are probably going in.  He has this little shimmy move he does with his shoulder when he drives, just a little, that gets the defender momentarily going the wrong way.  He and Clark have the ability to answer with a three at the right times.
Smart - just needs to be tougher underneath.  He's good for a layup or two on a put-back every game.
Graves - showed he could fly on a couple alley-oops
Carruthers - it seems like he just never is out there enough to get into the flow of things.  Even just to be as aggressive as he wants, he probably needs to read a guy's moves enough to do so.  Hit one of those wide-open threes that you say the guy is so open, you have to make this.

Nice crowd tonight, one that continues to reinforce the equation "Friday night game = big crowd".  I wish UB could figure out how to move traffic out of there quicker afterwards, maybe make it two lanes going either way from the lots?  I mean they're constrained by the fact that someone designed all those lots to empty into a two-lane road, while a 4-lane highway sits nearby.

As for BG - you were just slightly ahead of Bona in line when they handed out team colors.  At least make more use of the orange.  Frye - is...is your dad a big donor?  Is your uncle the school president?  Did you get into the team as a legacy like Flounder got into Delta House?  I mean, four air-balls.   And what does that say about the other guards on the bench, that you can't get minutes in a game over a guy who flung up FOUR air-balls?! 

What I would pay to see Dakich on that bench again.  Even just a replay of that game - we inquired with MSG to see if they'd gotten the tapes from Empire Sports, but I never heard back any further.

Agreed Enrique.

Jeseph and I talk about this all the time. Are we spoiled? We does a team this good have such bad stretches? Is that normal from a 20-7 (12-2) team. If you told me in preseason that UB would have this record and scoring output and i would have signed in blood. But now i just feel like UB should be 23-4 and a true at-large candidate. Those losses sting more than normal when they can grab you a bid, and even more to lose to the last place team in the conference.

This site is READ ONLY