As of 8/24/2018, this site has been archived. Please visit http://www.ubfan.com for the new site
THIS SITE IS READ ONLY

Author Topic: Ub/Ohio game on Sat.  (Read 4192 times)

February 22, 2018, 01:24:22 PM
Read 4192 times

guru

• Information
  • Signed Recruit
    • View Profile
Ub/Ohio game on Sat.
« on: February 22, 2018, 01:24:22 PM »
Hope to see a big comeback game against Ohio. Ohio is on a little bit of a roll, won the last two but are only 5-10 in conference play. Hope the team is shooting free throws and CJ will get some confidence back in his shooting. Free throws! Free throws! The first free throw taken in the first minute of a game can be just as important as the last one. S. Bona hit 20 free throws in a row and 29-33 and where their offense was off last night they played a 40 minute defensive game. That is where they won their game against Duquesne. Hope for a big crowd at both the women's and men's game. Go Bulls!!!

February 22, 2018, 05:27:15 PM
Reply #1

guru

• Information
  • Signed Recruit
    • View Profile
Re: Ub/Ohio game on Sat.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 05:27:15 PM »
Expecting to see another exciting game from the women. Hope the coaches are spending time on free throw shooting!! one player is shooting 24%, one in the 40% range and two only at 50% range. They are all reserves but  the tournament games can come down to who makes more free throws. Hopefully it is not too late for some improvement. Go Bulls!!!

February 22, 2018, 06:14:24 PM
Reply #2

squire17

• Information
  • All Rookie Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 06:14:24 PM »
Guru, you are right. Bulls, relatively, are not very good at the foul line. Turning it around is somewhat analogous to having a giant ship alter course - not going to happen quickly...it’s, at best, a long term process. That said, I’m expecting a strong overall game from the Bulls on Saturday. A win eliminates Ball St from the top spot heading into MAC playoffs. UB coaching staff has to reassess its approach to offensive strategy. Get the 10+ point lead and be a little more deliberate. Make your opponent sweat it out. Bulls have been sloppy and not very prudent in shot selection over the past 5 weeks in the second half of games. Fortunately, that can be corrected much more directly. It should have been addressed long before now. No matter how athletic this team is, it won’t advance unless it plays a whole lot smarter.

February 23, 2018, 11:21:39 AM
Reply #3

guru

• Information
  • Signed Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 11:21:39 AM »
Agree Squire. UB has the athletic talent but are lacking the smart basketball mentality at many times during a game. Where they are lacking is in the center/forward position with both Smart and McCrea not helping much on the offense end and not good defensively. If a couple of our frontline players have sub par games it really shows up during games. I have not liked Caruthers game since he came back from injury especially his mental game. Jordan has regressed from the start of the year. He is still all over the place and not under control for long stretches of games. All that being said we are having one of our best overall years and this team is exciting on the offense end. I am sure the coaches are trying to get thru to the players but do they buy into the message? This time of the year UB has to show they are peaking not regressing. Winning breeds confidence. Winning the last three games will be important going into the tourney. Go Bulls!!!!

February 24, 2018, 10:04:26 AM
Reply #4

sdubyas

• Information
  • Verbal Commit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 10:04:26 AM »
The need to play smarter, crisper, and team oriented is paramount.  The last few games, even when they have won, have lacked the excellence that was there earlier in the year.  Hope to see them get back their swagger here.

February 24, 2018, 11:10:49 AM
Reply #5

MillenniumBull

• Information
  • Redshirt Freshman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 11:10:49 AM »
The Men’s Twitter account mentioned a double header today, but then only gave their start time. A little disappointed.

February 24, 2018, 01:29:53 PM
Reply #6

MillenniumBull

• Information
  • Redshirt Freshman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 01:29:53 PM »
I prefer Amy’s commentary over Will Regan’s, but where did he go?

February 24, 2018, 03:05:08 PM
Reply #7

MillenniumBull

• Information
  • Redshirt Freshman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 03:05:08 PM »
Summer Hemphill is my new female athlete crush, sorry Alex Morgan, you had a great run.

February 24, 2018, 03:05:32 PM
Reply #8

sportscliche

• Information
  • Verbal Commit
  • SUNYAB BSEE 1981; MSEE 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2018, 03:05:32 PM »
Will Regan comes across as a genuinely nice guy, but his game commentary has been choppy. Doing play-by-play and commentary is decidedly not easy, even if your understanding of the game and its flow is at a high level. There are plenty of examples illustrating how the transition from player to commentator is not automatic, Tony Romo being a recent one. I am aware of at least one sports announcer school to address this need.

February 24, 2018, 06:58:23 PM
Reply #9

squire17

• Information
  • All Rookie Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2018, 06:58:23 PM »
Will Regan comes across as a genuinely nice guy, but his game commentary has been choppy. Doing play-by-play and commentary is decidedly not easy, even if your understanding of the game and its flow is at a high level. There are plenty of examples illustrating how the transition from player to commentator is not automatic, Tony Romo being a recent one. I am aware of at least one sports announcer school to address this need.

Agreed, the transition from professional athlete to game announcer/analyst is not automatic. Tony Romo has been acclaimed almost universally as one of the best - articulate, knowledgeable, with plenty of insights that help to convey what is happening in the game. Tony Romo is phenomenal at his new job!

February 25, 2018, 08:15:19 PM
Reply #10

guru

• Information
  • Signed Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2018, 08:15:19 PM »
Two exciting wins by the men and women!! The women showed patience and no panic after a lst half of having a tough time against the Ohio 2/3 zone and missing shots from all over the court. The 2nd half showed how the coaches and players made adjustments and started making some shots. Autumn Jones had a good game off the bench along with Suchan and of course Summer's rebounding(23). The men came to play and had great ball movement with 27 assists and shot over 50% from the field for the 8th straight game. We have not seen performances like this from both teams over an entire season ever. The crowd was great again and hopefully some of the fans will come back for the last women's game next Sat. Hope to see another great crowd for the men on Tues. Go Bulls!!!!

February 26, 2018, 07:56:34 AM
Reply #11

ubfan75

• Information
  • Signed Recruit
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2018, 07:56:34 AM »
Two exciting wins by the men and women!! The women showed patience and no panic after a lst half of having a tough time against the Ohio 2/3 zone and missing shots from all over the court. The 2nd half showed how the coaches and players made adjustments and started making some shots. Autumn Jones had a good game off the bench along with Suchan and of course Summer's rebounding(23). The men came to play and had great ball movement with 27 assists and shot over 50% from the field for the 8th straight game. We have not seen performances like this from both teams over an entire season ever. The crowd was great again and hopefully some of the fans will come back for the last women's game next Sat. Hope to see another great crowd for the men on Tues. Go Bulls!!!!
The women did indeed have a rough start offensively on Saturday, shooting in the low 20% in the first half. But their defense kept them within striking distance. I guess we, as fans, will never really know what was responsible for the complete 180 the gals took after halftime, but what pulled me out of my fan-funk was Autumn Jones stroking corner 3s like she was in her backyard. 

February 26, 2018, 11:04:48 AM
Reply #12

guru

• Information
  • Signed Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2018, 11:04:48 AM »
Right on UBfan75. UB did play a good defensive game and did switch it up at times going to a zone. I think the turning point was when Autumn Jones started hitting the 3 pointers and that seemed to open things up for the other players. Winning the rebounding battle 52-31 With 18 on the offensive end helped getting more 2nd chance points and points in the paint. Overall a good team win when the team is struggling from the field and only making 6-24 from the 3 point line. Looking forward to Sat's. last home game and sadly saying goodbye to our five seniors. Go Bulls and see you in Cleveland!!!!!

February 26, 2018, 11:42:58 AM
Reply #13

MillenniumBull

• Information
  • Redshirt Freshman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2018, 11:42:58 AM »
When I dissect the first half of the women’s game, what I saw was after the first few 3pta didn’t fall, they stopped trying. UB wasn’t shooting open threes and OU was then able to play a very tight zone. Didn’t result in less 3 attempts, just them ending up being contested, late in the shot clock. I believe it was one of Dillard’s brothers that yelled, “you have to shoot” late in the first half, after not taking a shot lead to another turnover trying to force inside. Jones making those shots changed that. Playing a compact zone against a team afraid to shoot will work every time.

This site is READ ONLY