As of 8/24/2018, this site has been archived. Please visit http://www.ubfan.com for the new site
THIS SITE IS READ ONLY

Author Topic: Akron Game (2/27 - 7:00pm) *Senior Night*  (Read 5996 times)

February 25, 2018, 01:04:00 PM
Read 5996 times

MillenniumBull

• Information
  • Redshirt Freshman
    • View Profile
    • Email
Akron Game (2/27 - 7:00pm) *Senior Night*
« on: February 25, 2018, 01:04:00 PM »
Last home game, bring some energy for the team. And give Wes and Ikenna the thanks they deserve.

Oh, and if you want a nice laugh,

http://zipsnation.org/forums/topic/37942-game-28—miami/?page=1

Don’t believe everything you read on the internet.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 10:46:55 AM by Jeseph »

February 25, 2018, 06:02:47 PM
Reply #1

ubfan75

• Information
  • Signed Recruit
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Akron
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 06:02:47 PM »
Last home game, bring some energy for the team. And give Wes and Ikenna the thanks they deserve.

The most interesting thing about that thread on zipsnation was their collective groan that Bo Boroski was officiating their game. We all remember Bo, the ref who made that horrible call against Mitchell Watt for hanging on the rim v. Ohio in 2012. I had hoped Bo had retired after his suspension from refereeing, but I guess not.

February 25, 2018, 06:04:49 PM
Reply #2

rma

• Information
  • All Rookie Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 06:04:49 PM »

The most interesting thing about that thread on zipsnation was their collective groan that Bo Boroski was officiating their game. We all remember Bo, the ref who made that horrible call against Mitchell Watt for hanging on the rim v. Ohio in 2012. I had hoped Bo had retired after his suspension from refereeing, but I guess not.
That call still haunts me 6 years later
So, thunder through, Go Blue! Give a Cheer, never fear!

February 25, 2018, 06:46:20 PM
Reply #3

MillenniumBull

• Information
  • Redshirt Freshman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 06:46:20 PM »
I’m all about the Boroski hate, but the poster calling UB selfish and a group that doesn’t like each other was laughable. No better way to lead the conference in assists then by being selfish?! And you can just tell by watching these guys root each other on when on the bench and every media session and interview that they just don’t like one another.... Tightest group of players at UB I’ve seen in a while, if not ever for MBB. But apparently some Akron fan knows better.

February 25, 2018, 06:46:37 PM
Reply #4

ubfan75

• Information
  • Signed Recruit
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 06:46:37 PM »

That call still haunts me 6 years later
Me too.

February 25, 2018, 07:59:24 PM
Reply #5

clodney

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2018, 07:59:24 PM »
Ahhh, yessss. Zipsnation always provides a good laugh. We spanked the Zips by 22 in their house a month ago and 2 different posters claim they "weren't impressed" by the Bulls since we "didn't put them away" and "should have won by 50".

Miami fans > BGSU fans > Kent fans > Ohio fans > Akron fans

Over the last few years Akron has easily had the most intolerable fans in the conference. They're always full of themselves and they hate us for knocking some of their best teams out of the tourney. Let's try to impress their fans this time by putting them away early and winning by at least 50.
"Don’t give me that WNY is getting favorable treatment here. WNY was getting screwed for years and this bill does very little to equalize things. We don’t want to hold back SB/BU & UA but UB has been working on 2020 for 5 years. Don’t say, ‘Because you’re at the finish line you have to wait for us'"

February 26, 2018, 07:36:46 AM
Reply #6

ubfan75

• Information
  • Signed Recruit
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 07:36:46 AM »
I’m all about the Boroski hate, but the poster calling UB selfish and a group that doesn’t like each other was laughable. No better way to lead the conference in assists then by being selfish?! And you can just tell by watching these guys root each other on when on the bench and every media session and interview that they just don’t like one another.... Tightest group of players at UB I’ve seen in a while, if not ever for MBB. But apparently some Akron fan knows better.
Zip fans simply whistling past the graveyard. I chuckled and rolled my eyes when I read the "analysis" of our team's chemistry.

February 26, 2018, 10:50:10 AM
Reply #7

Jeseph

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • True Blue Co-Founder and Alumni
    • View Profile
Re: Akron Game (2/27 - 7:00pm) *Senior Night*
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 10:50:10 AM »
I too would like to see us win by 50 with a season high in assists. Crazy to think that Wes Clark will unfortunately be playing his last home game as a Bull what a short but impactful season he's had!

February 26, 2018, 11:04:15 AM
Reply #8

Jeseph

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2018, 11:04:15 AM »
No better way to lead the conference in assists then by being selfish?!

UB is now also 12th in the country in APG :)

February 27, 2018, 06:42:37 PM
Reply #9

MillenniumBull

• Information
  • Redshirt Freshman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 06:42:37 PM »
Will ESPN3 start coverage early to show senior night festivities? Or is tip off just delayed?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 06:55:56 PM by MillenniumBull »

February 27, 2018, 08:49:03 PM
Reply #10

Jeseph

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2018, 08:49:03 PM »
I don't understand this team. Please get this win and figure something out on Friday going into Cleveland

February 27, 2018, 09:22:48 PM
Reply #11

McBulls

• Information
  • Verbal Commit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2018, 09:22:48 PM »
Ugly win, but the #1 seed. First time we have won the conference outright. Much better second half offensively and defensively (at least against the 3). Eleventh MAC double-digit win this year. Fun fact- most since Western Michigan had thirteen MAC double digit wins in 2003-2004 (I think). We've beaten everyone in the conference except Central by double digits at least once.

Great to see Oats get our seniors to the line at the end.

In other news- watching Bona-Davidson at the moment. Courtney Stockard has scored Bona's first 17 points to put them up 17-4. Would be great to have three teams from the area make the Tourney. Rising tide and whatnot...

February 27, 2018, 09:53:14 PM
Reply #12

cheese_66

• Information
  • Prospect
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2018, 09:53:14 PM »
Positives:
- Obviously a big game from Massinburg. 26 points 10 rebounds 0 turnovers
- Even though Akron got out to a hot start shooting the ball, their made shots were usually well contested. The contested shots caught up to them in the second half. Overall I thought this was a pretty good defensive game for the Bulls
- Speaking of defense, we forced 17 turnovers from Akron
- Did a good job getting to the line and making free throws. 18-24 compared to 6-12 from Akron

Negatives:
- Only 8 points coming from players outside of our Big 4. And 3 of those points came off technicals at the end of the game. I know it's not really the role of these guys to score, but it definitely helps to get bigger offensive contributions than that. Specifically Jordan/Caruthers/Graves
- 13 assists to 16 turnovers. That's 2 out of 3 games with more turnovers than assists

I will also mention that we lucked out a bit on some of the foul calls on Duvivier. His 3rd foul appeared to just be an aggressive box out and his 5th foul could have easily been called a push off on Caruthers. Regardless, if we keep attacking the basket and playing aggressively like we have all year, those are calls that we're going to get.

One last thing I'd like to mention. I would like to see our team go out and blow out teams by 20+ every game like they were doing in January. But I can recall coach Oats back then talking about how by the time we got into February/March, teams were going to start to figure us out more and we'd have to be able to win close games. Obviously we haven't won every close game, but just having a close game turn out our way is always encouraging no matter who we play. Because this is probably the type of game we'll have to win in Cleveland.

February 27, 2018, 10:11:08 PM
Reply #13

clodney

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2018, 10:11:08 PM »
Now the real season begins.  Scratch that. One completely meaningless game to go against BGSU. I'll wake up for Cleveland.

Way to wrap up the regular season with a program best 1st place finish! I wasn't able to watch the game but it sounds like it was another nail biter. I hope these guys figure out what's been going on the last few weeks or this could be a painful finale.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 10:16:50 PM by clodney »
"Don’t give me that WNY is getting favorable treatment here. WNY was getting screwed for years and this bill does very little to equalize things. We don’t want to hold back SB/BU & UA but UB has been working on 2020 for 5 years. Don’t say, ‘Because you’re at the finish line you have to wait for us'"

February 27, 2018, 10:29:08 PM
Reply #14

enrique14150

• Information
  • Redshirt Freshman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2018, 10:29:08 PM »
I went in today hoping for the Bulls to humiliate Akron - because they deserve it.  But a part of me lamented missing what was always a big game, a hard fought game.  So we saw a win, and it was a good game.  The Bulls need to be pushed right now because they get sloppy too easily at both ends when they're not.  I can't believe how unsure I am going into the tournament with a 22 win team because I don't think they've been playing their best for a while.

I thought Akron's movement was better, especially in the first half.  They worked that back door cut a few times, CJ picked it off early but they scored on a few after that.  Drained a lot of three's that were contested.  Akron played that zone and quickly swarmed around Perkins when he got the ball.  Groce took timeouts every time UB made a big bucket, to kill any momentum.  I wanted to give Groce a lot of credit for this, despite being a wild loud-mouth, until he lost his mind at the end.  It wasn't Dan Dakich-level crazy but it was up there.  I couldn't tell if he's just a wild eyed angry guy, fired up, or sick and tired of his team's mistakes.  Groce has been in the MAC before, he should know how it is.

You don't like MAC refs?  No one does.  In the end you hope that they don't decide the game and that the bad calls even out.  Akron had a lead because they were hitting three's; they lost that lead because they weren't anymore.

I thought that too often UB makes individual forays toward the basket without other movement, and that may be why Oats changed out all 5 players at one point.  I know, I know, I'm always the one saying that good things happen when you go to the hoop.  But this game turned around when three of the big names CJ, Wes, and Harris put the game on their backs and took over. 

Perkins - as I said, dealt with that swarming closing zone, but when he had 1-on-1's they had a hard time stopping him. 
Harris - maybe the smoothest shot we've ever seen here. 
CJ - does what he does, makes big shots when it matters.  Especially when it's time to kill a rally.
Wes - ditto. 

Does anyone know why the senior presentations were done after the game?  Most people are leaving then.  I felt they didn't get the attention they deserved this way.  Crowd - another solid crowd for a weeknight that seems low on the energy you'd expect from watching a team that wins all the time.  The student zone was pretty full again but they still haven't been able to coax any noise out of most of them.  Like there isn't as much fun watching a game you expect to win, rather than one you're positive but anxious about.  I'm not knocking winning - winning is fun.

Oh and what a great shot by that guy from half court to win.....twelve MEDIUM pizza's.  Really Santora's?

Akron - they'll be good again in a year or two.  Groce's mental collapse at the end was a fitting end to a game I didn't get to yell at Dambrot for the criminal element he always carried.  They had a good game plan and competed well tonight.  Kostelac - that guy was hapless out there, but he's just a freshman.  Duvivier looked like he was going to cry every time he was sent to the bench.

"You live in Akron," clap, clap, clap-clap-clap
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 10:39:08 PM by enrique14150 »

This site is READ ONLY