As of 8/24/2018, this site has been archived. Please visit http://www.ubfan.com for the new site
THIS SITE IS READ ONLY

Author Topic: Oats Signs (5 year) Extension To Remain At UB  (Read 23948 times)

March 09, 2018, 09:10:13 AM
Reply #15

sdubyas

• Information
  • Verbal Commit
    • View Profile
Re: Oats Signs (5 year) Extension To Remain At UB
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2018, 09:10:13 AM »
I agree that given the choice I would take Coach Oats over Bobby Hurley. 

March 09, 2018, 10:08:01 AM
Reply #16

RochBull

• Information
  • All MAC Performer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2018, 10:08:01 AM »
Very Excited. He has been an excellent coach and seems like a great guy. This is how you build the program into bigger things.

March 09, 2018, 10:37:48 AM
Reply #17

Dave S

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - squid4lyfe1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2018, 10:37:48 AM »
Have to hope this can be the catalyst to a nice run in these next two games and beyond.

March 09, 2018, 10:43:34 AM
Reply #18

MillenniumBull

• Information
  • Redshirt Freshman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2018, 10:43:34 AM »
Dear Mrs Twist, your not done yet! There is another head coach in Cleveland we would like you to talk to...

March 09, 2018, 10:55:47 AM
Reply #19

enrique14150

• Information
  • Redshirt Freshman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2018, 10:55:47 AM »
Very happy to hear that both sides want to make this ongoing commitment to keep a good thing rolling.  I suppose it doesn't forestall an "offer he can't refuse" from a bigger stage but that's what you always have to live with at the mid-major level. 
I imagine folks from the baseball, soccer, diving and crew teams are rightly wondering where the money in the athletics budget came from to do this.

March 09, 2018, 03:10:23 PM
Reply #20

mikescherrer8

• Information
  • Signed Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2018, 03:10:23 PM »
I imagine folks from the baseball, soccer, diving and crew teams are rightly wondering where the money in the athletics budget came from to do this.

I imagine it's because there's a higher demand in college basketball than the sports that were cut from UB. That is the past, this is the future.

March 09, 2018, 03:26:27 PM
Reply #21

ed

• Information
  • Redshirt Freshman
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2018, 03:26:27 PM »
But nothing prevents a bigger program from making him a more lucrative offer, correct?

yeah, i don't get why everyone's excited.

this is really just a raise for him.  why are we so excited the coach is getting a raise?

he was already under contract for a couple more years, so: he wasn't going anywhere unless a bigger program made him an offer, this doesn't stop a bigger program from making him an offer, and his buyout isn't going to be so much bigger that it's going to stop a bigger program from making him an offer.

March 09, 2018, 03:30:34 PM
Reply #22

Jeseph

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • True Blue Co-Founder and Alumni
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2018, 03:30:34 PM »
This doesn't stop a bigger program from making him an offer, and his buyout isn't going to be so much bigger that it's going to stop a bigger program from making him an offer.

I think this raises the mutual level of commitment between UB and Coach Oats. The offer will indeed have to be better as a result and we don't know the $$ details of the contract, a buyout may in fact be significantly more expensive under the new deal.

Plus I simply think Nate Oats deserves this so I'm happy for him as well.

March 09, 2018, 04:31:27 PM
Reply #23

UB85

• Information
  • Position Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2018, 04:31:27 PM »
But nothing prevents a bigger program from making him a more lucrative offer, correct?

this is really just a raise for him.  why are we so excited the coach is getting a raise?

he was already under contract for a couple more years, so: he wasn't going anywhere unless a bigger program made him an offer, this doesn't stop a bigger program from making him an offer, and his buyout isn't going to be so much bigger that it's going to stop a bigger program from making him an offer.

Simple. UB is showing him the love. Without it, Oats would be more inclined to actively seek out opportunities. By giving him a raise AND a two year extension through 2023 it makes it more difficult/expensive for another school to step in. Typical buy outs require the hiring school to pay 50%  of the remaining balance of contract value. Sullivan reported that new salary is between 550k and 600k. By demonstrating their commitment, UB has demonstrated they are in it to win it. That’s a message that resonates with a coach. It may just be that Oats will see that as a sign that he has a real opportunity to make UB an elite mid major.

March 09, 2018, 05:46:47 PM
Reply #24

UB92

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2018, 05:46:47 PM »
I 100% think that Oats feels his team next year will be even better than this year.  So getting some UB love this year makes it less likely he will listen to
offers below $1M from some other school.  Another strong year would make him even more attractive.
If he doesn't get extended by UB this year, you never know.  If someone throws a wad of cash at him in a few weeks, he will go, however.  But that is the nature of the MAC (and almost all other conferences).
The State University of New York. 

Blue. White. Damn Right.

March 09, 2018, 07:33:36 PM
Reply #25

ed

• Information
  • Redshirt Freshman
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2018, 07:33:36 PM »

Simple. UB is showing him the love. Without it, Oats would be more inclined to actively seek out opportunities

Uh, does it work that way (actively looking) for D1 coaching? UCLA vacancy opens up, and they're like, hey, I'll apply! :-D or do people basically have to be recruited?

By giving him a raise AND a two year extension through 2023 it makes it more difficult/expensive for another school to step in. Typical buy outs require the hiring school to pay 50%  of the remaining balance of contract value. Sullivan reported that new salary is between 550k and 600k. By demonstrating their commitment, UB has demonstrated they are in it to win it. That’s a message that resonates with a coach. It may just be that Oats will see that as a sign that he has a real opportunity to make UB an elite mid major.

I see the buyout as basically no impediment and doesn't make it any more difficult for a bigger program - it's not like Kent St would be who he's going to - it'd be to a power conference that has the dough to spend. 

March 09, 2018, 10:45:19 PM
Reply #26

UB85

• Information
  • Position Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2018, 10:45:19 PM »

Simple. UB is showing him the love. Without it, Oats would be more inclined to actively seek out opportunities

Uh, does it work that way (actively looking) for D1 coaching? UCLA vacancy opens up, and they're like, hey, I'll apply! :-D or do people basically have to be recruited?

By giving him a raise AND a two year extension through 2023 it makes it more difficult/expensive for another school to step in. Typical buy outs require the hiring school to pay 50%  of the remaining balance of contract value. Sullivan reported that new salary is between 550k and 600k. By demonstrating their commitment, UB has demonstrated they are in it to win it. That’s a message that resonates with a coach. It may just be that Oats will see that as a sign that he has a real opportunity to make UB an elite mid major.

I see the buyout as basically no impediment and doesn't make it any more difficult for a bigger program - it's not like Kent St would be who he's going to - it'd be to a power conference that has the dough to spend.

Let’s see. He was making 350 for three more years. So if a team wanted to buy him out then they’d pay just over 500k. With the new contract at 575 let’s say over five years you’re looking at a buy out of somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.4 mil. That’s a lot of dough. Plus I have it on good authority Oats and his family love being in Buffalo and UB.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 11:27:58 PM by UB85 »

March 09, 2018, 11:07:01 PM
Reply #27

sportscliche

• Information
  • Verbal Commit
  • SUNYAB BSEE 1981; MSEE 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2018, 11:07:01 PM »
Speaking of Pitt, it appears they will have to pay $9.4M to buyout Stallings:

https://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2018/3/7/17093662/pittsburgh-basketball-kevin-stallings-buyout-fired-why-did-you-do-this-you-dummies

Seven figure buyouts aren’t a problem for the big boys.

March 09, 2018, 11:31:22 PM
Reply #28

UB85

• Information
  • Position Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2018, 11:31:22 PM »
Speaking of Pitt, it appears they will have to pay $9.4M to buyout Stallings:

https://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2018/3/7/17093662/pittsburgh-basketball-kevin-stallings-buyout-fired-why-did-you-do-this-you-dummies

Seven figure buyouts aren’t a problem for the big boys.

Pissing 9.4 mil out the window is a problem even for the big guys. But it’s even a bigger problem if your team didn’t win a conference game in the ACC.

Oats isn’t going anywhere for the foreseeable future. And UCLA Duke etc aren’t going to come calling either.

March 09, 2018, 11:56:21 PM
Reply #29

admin

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2018, 11:56:21 PM »
I don’t think Oats is just looking for money or more profile. His wife getting cancer, him raising young girls, him coaching HS Bball only 5 years ago and him building something special here I believe all keep him at Buffalo. Plus next years team can be scary good.

This site is READ ONLY