As of 8/24/2018, this site has been archived. Please visit http://www.ubfan.com for the new site
THIS SITE IS READ ONLY

Author Topic: Oats Signs (5 year) Extension To Remain At UB  (Read 23948 times)

March 10, 2018, 12:50:52 AM
Reply #30

UB85

• Information
  • Position Coach
    • View Profile
Re: Oats Signs (5 year) Extension To Remain At UB
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2018, 12:50:52 AM »
I don’t think Oats is just looking for money or more profile. His wife getting cancer, him raising young girls, him coaching HS Bball only 5 years ago and him building something special here I believe all keep him at Buffalo. Plus next years team can be scary good.

Bingo!

Watch this for more on this topic. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hOvjFynTZK0

March 10, 2018, 01:04:23 AM
Reply #31

ed

• Information
  • Redshirt Freshman
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2018, 01:04:23 AM »
Let’s see. He was making 350 for three more years. So if a team wanted to buy him out then they’d pay just over 500k. With the new contract at 575 let’s say over five years you’re looking at a buy out of somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.4 mil. That’s a lot of dough. Plus I have it on good authority Oats and his family love being in Buffalo and UB.

$1M delta in buyout isn't an issue for any school that would be a presenting a big upgrade from a $355k salary. (Edit: perspective: UB was willing to eat $750k to get rid of Reggie, plus pay much more for new coaches) The dude was a high school teacher 3 yrs ago in Detroit, and is getting paid $355k per year in Buffalo now, but still dropped a threat to leave, despite having a contract in place for 3 more years.$355k. In BUFFALO. that goes a loooong way.  That should tell you he doesn't have much love for Buffalo.

And to be clear, I'm not judging him, but I don't get the 'yea!' on this on fans' part. He'll announce he's leaving after THIS season, with the right offer, damn the extension.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 06:27:32 AM by ed »

March 11, 2018, 05:59:41 AM
Reply #32

admin

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2018, 05:59:41 AM »
He deserved that raise.
He needed to get an extension to do his job better. Otherwise it hurts his recruiting.
He loves Buffalo. He may leave eventually but it will make sense when he leaves. And we will love him when he leaves. Not like the last coach who left.

Let’s see. He was making 350 for three more years. So if a team wanted to buy him out then they’d pay just over 500k. With the new contract at 575 let’s say over five years you’re looking at a buy out of somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.4 mil. That’s a lot of dough. Plus I have it on good authority Oats and his family love being in Buffalo and UB.

$1M delta in buyout isn't an issue for any school that would be a presenting a big upgrade from a $355k salary. (Edit: perspective: UB was willing to eat $750k to get rid of Reggie, plus pay much more for new coaches) The dude was a high school teacher 3 yrs ago in Detroit, and is getting paid $355k per year in Buffalo now, but still dropped a threat to leave, despite having a contract in place for 3 more years.$355k. In BUFFALO. that goes a loooong way.  That should tell you he doesn't have much love for Buffalo.

And to be clear, I'm not judging him, but I don't get the 'yea!' on this on fans' part. He'll announce he's leaving after THIS season, with the right offer, damn the extension.

March 11, 2018, 11:29:32 AM
Reply #33

rma

• Information
  • All Rookie Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2018, 11:29:32 AM »
I imagine folks from the baseball, soccer, diving and crew teams are rightly wondering where the money in the athletics budget came from to do this.
Well this is costing us $300k more a year, not factoring in bonuses or increased comp for assistants.  Once fully realized, the cutting of 4 sports saves $2m.

I'd be willing to bet increased merch sales, ticket sales, donations offsets the costs even more.
So, thunder through, Go Blue! Give a Cheer, never fear!

March 11, 2018, 12:18:32 PM
Reply #34

enrique14150

• Information
  • Redshirt Freshman
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2018, 12:18:32 PM »
Don't worry, I'm well aware the numbers are not the same.  Oats' extension is well earned and well deserved. 

March 11, 2018, 04:42:14 PM
Reply #35

ed

• Information
  • Redshirt Freshman
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2018, 04:42:14 PM »
He deserved that raise.
He needed to get an extension to do his job better. Otherwise it hurts his recruiting.

How so? He was already under contract for, what, 3 more years?

March 11, 2018, 08:09:06 PM
Reply #36

MillenniumBull

• Information
  • Redshirt Freshman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2018, 08:09:06 PM »
He deserved that raise.

It’s not rocket science. Because it allows the university the funds to hire a more reputable new coach, or give one of the assistants more money to stay then we previously could afford. No extension, UB gets approx 1/2 mill if some university with bottomless pockets comes calling, now with extension, university receives 1+ mill. So with that extra money maybe we can afford to hold on to the assistant coaches that recruited this next class and hopefully insure to those young men that the program and style of play will not change.

March 11, 2018, 08:22:59 PM
Reply #37

UB85

• Information
  • Position Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2018, 08:22:59 PM »
He deserved that raise.
He loves Buffalo. He may leave eventually but it will make sense when he leaves. And we will love him when he leaves. Not like the last coach who left.

He is not leaving after THIS season. I’ll donate 1k to the excellence fund if he does. You donate $250.00 if he doesn’t. Deal?

March 11, 2018, 08:26:49 PM
Reply #38

ed

• Information
  • Redshirt Freshman
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2018, 08:26:49 PM »
He deserved that raise.

It’s not rocket science. Because it allows the university the funds to hire a more reputable new coach, or give one of the assistants more money to stay then we previously could afford. No extension, UB gets approx 1/2 mill if some university with bottomless pockets comes calling, now with extension, university receives 1+ mill. So with that extra money maybe we can afford to hold on to the assistant coaches that recruited this next class and hopefully insure to those young men that the program and style of play will not change.

The claim is a contract extension helps recruiting if he gets poached? That's a freaking stretch. And when extended to say that it allows us to afford to pay someone that was one of the assistants, it really makes no sense. Which of the assistants was likely to turn down $350k to be head coach?

March 11, 2018, 08:29:34 PM
Reply #39

ed

• Information
  • Redshirt Freshman
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2018, 08:29:34 PM »
He deserved that raise.

He is not leaving after THIS season. I’ll donate 1k to the excellence fund if he does. You donate $250.00 if he doesn’t. Deal?

I said he would, IF he got a killer offer. Not that he is going to - I don't think he's leaving this year, but I didn't think he was leaving this year WITHOUT an extension, so I'm not sure the point of your wager.

March 11, 2018, 09:02:33 PM
Reply #40

MillenniumBull

• Information
  • Redshirt Freshman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2018, 09:02:33 PM »
He deserved that raise.

The claim is a contract extension helps recruiting if he gets poached? That's a freaking stretch. And when extended to say that it allows us to afford to pay someone that was one of the assistants, it really makes no sense. Which of the assistants was likely to turn down $350k to be head coach?

Nope, my claim is that if oats gets poached, we have the money so UB can pay the current staff more and it makes it harder for him to take his staff along with him, the men who did a lot of the recruiting and know the kids coming in. And retain the programs continuity. And the obvious, $ still matters so the higher the price tag the better.

March 11, 2018, 09:11:03 PM
Reply #41

ed

• Information
  • Redshirt Freshman
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2018, 09:11:03 PM »
He deserved that raise.

Nope, my claim is that if oats gets poached, we have the money so UB can pay the current staff more and it makes it harder for him to take his staff along with him, the men who did a lot of the recruiting and know the kids coming in. And retain the programs continuity. And the obvious, $ still matters so the higher the price tag the better.

Hurley was making $550k / yr + bonuses. And we were on the hook for up to $750k to Reggie. We can afford anything we'd be willing to pay, without relying on one time payouts.

March 11, 2018, 09:41:51 PM
Reply #42

MillenniumBull

• Information
  • Redshirt Freshman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2018, 09:41:51 PM »
That’s a nice thought. Not true, but a nice thought.

March 11, 2018, 09:42:30 PM
Reply #43

admin

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2018, 09:42:30 PM »
He deserved that raise.

Coaches need at least 4 years in their contract to effectively recruit kids. Any less and other coaches use it to let potential recruits know. You’re basically recruiting at a disadvantage.

March 11, 2018, 10:30:10 PM
Reply #44

ed

• Information
  • Redshirt Freshman
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2018, 10:30:10 PM »
To remind me how much a contract extension helps to keep a coach around, and what a deterrent a MAC level buyout deters bugger programs, how long was Hurley around after signing his extension?

This site is READ ONLY