As of 8/24/2018, this site has been archived. Please visit http://www.ubfan.com for the new site
THIS SITE IS READ ONLY

Author Topic: Oats Signs (5 year) Extension To Remain At UB  (Read 24676 times)

March 14, 2018, 08:57:13 AM
Reply #60

ChubbyHubby

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
  • WILL YOU CONSIDER HELPING OUT?
    • View Profile
Re: Oats Signs (5 year) Extension To Remain At UB
« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2018, 08:57:13 AM »
Don't sell Whitesell short.  While Hodgson may be the recruiting guru, I think Whitesell is the strategist of the group.
PLEASE CONSIDER DONATING TO MY RIDE FOR ROSWELL
Ask me how you can help out.

March 14, 2018, 09:36:04 AM
Reply #61

BasketBull

• Information
  • Position Coach
  • BU--FF--AL--O--GO
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2018, 09:36:04 AM »
Not intended as a slight to the other coaches. I just meant that regular NCAA tournament appearances makes recruiting much easier and the perhaps the best way to ensure sustained success of the program is ensuring we are winning recruiting battles for the guys we want. NCAA tournament appearances beget strong recruiting classes and strong recruiting classes beget NCAA tournament appearances.

March 14, 2018, 09:41:25 AM
Reply #62

01bull

• Information
  • Prospect
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2018, 09:41:25 AM »
from how I read it, he got raises for his staff as well; and the incentives roll down to them as well

March 14, 2018, 12:43:44 PM
Reply #63

guru

• Information
  • Signed Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2018, 12:43:44 PM »
I truly understand all the different opinions on why coaches stay or leave for better paying jobs etc. We truly do not know what goes into personnal decisions of why a person leaves their jobs. We can only believe what a coach like Coach Oats tells us. He likes the area and his family do also and he is having success for him and unprecedented success for UB and now is getting paid in the top tier of the MAC. Lets face it many many coaches have gone on to better high end coaching jobs and in a few years have failed and are out of the job and had to start all over. The old saying "The grass is not always greener on the other side." More money does not always make you happier.  Not every coach in the country is looking for a big pay upgrade and I could name many thruout the country. Our family will continue to support UB and enjoy the ride we are on.  Go Bulls!!!

March 14, 2018, 01:26:11 PM
Reply #64

UB92

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2018, 01:26:11 PM »
Not intended as a slight to the other coaches. I just meant that regular NCAA tournament appearances makes recruiting much easier and the perhaps the best way to ensure sustained success of the program is ensuring we are winning recruiting battles for the guys we want. NCAA tournament appearances beget strong recruiting classes and strong recruiting classes beget NCAA tournament appearances.

In bold...is one of the stated reasons why Harris came to UB. 

It will never get old in my book to thank Danny White for making a very hard (and locally unpopular) decision to let RW go for a different coach.  That one hard decision, in my opinion, got us to where we are now.   
The State University of New York. 

Blue. White. Damn Right.

March 14, 2018, 01:50:29 PM
Reply #65

ChubbyHubby

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
  • WILL YOU CONSIDER HELPING OUT?
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2018, 01:50:29 PM »

It will never get old in my book to thank Danny White for making a very hard (and locally unpopular) decision to let RW go for a different coach.  That one hard decision, in my opinion, got us to where we are now.
It was only locally unpopular to those that really liked RW as a great guy.  Those that wanted UB to win a championship were on board with the change.
PLEASE CONSIDER DONATING TO MY RIDE FOR ROSWELL
Ask me how you can help out.

March 14, 2018, 03:54:25 PM
Reply #66

UB85

• Information
  • Position Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2018, 03:54:25 PM »

It was only locally unpopular to those that really liked RW as a great guy.  Those that wanted UB to win a championship were on board with the change.

Everyone loved Reggie. He has a throng of WNY fans that are not necessarily UB fans. Those folks howled from the rafters as did many uB and Reggie fans. Personally I did not have a problem with Danny letting him go, but I think the firing was handled poorly. Given Reggie's long service he should have been in a different and more respectful way.

I know all of the UB coaches. They are all excellent people. I think the raise was an important show of faith by UB. It showed Oats that UB is going to support his vision of making UB hoops one of the top tier mid-major programs in the country. I truly believe he is committed to that vision. No guarantees of course, but so long as he, his staff and the team are getting the support Oats believes is necessary I do believe he will turn suitors away for the foreseeable future. There was a suggestion of this in a recent interview or TBN article where he referred to where they are now, with top recruiting classes and on court success, as "cracking the stone."

March 14, 2018, 06:29:30 PM
Reply #67

guru

• Information
  • Signed Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2018, 06:29:30 PM »
This coaching staff deserves a ton of credit for the successful years and the recruiting which brings better player with the winning atmosphere. Yes it was unpopular to fire Reggie because he was a local guy who brought the team out of the dark days. Yes he was a nice guy but he never could win the big game and he even said that it was hard to recruit good players to UB??? You are already defeated when you have that mindset.  As long as he has some success at Canisius he should be there a long time.  Go Bulls!!!

March 14, 2018, 11:17:36 PM
Reply #68

promotherobot

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2018, 11:17:36 PM »
Promo, your point could well have been made without getting your obligatory shot in at the locals and anti-NYBI.  It has gotten really old.

Sorry. It still sticks in my craw. 

March 16, 2018, 01:00:02 AM
Reply #69

UB92

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2018, 01:00:02 AM »
Nate Oats talked about three things at the beginning of the year:

1.  Win the conference regular season
2.  Win the conference tournament
3.  Win some games in the NCAA tournament

Mission Accomplished. 

Let's see how far we can go.
The State University of New York. 

Blue. White. Damn Right.

March 16, 2018, 01:19:19 AM
Reply #70

DCA

• Information
  • All MAC Performer
    • View Profile
    • /sp/
« Reply #70 on: March 16, 2018, 01:19:19 AM »
i genuinely wonder where Reggie Witherspoon was tonight and if he even watched this game.
#MACsketball / #MACtion - Twitter / IG / Tumblr / Last.fm - Class of '12, B.A., Magna Cum Laude

March 16, 2018, 02:04:38 AM
Reply #71

ed

• Information
  • Redshirt Freshman
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #71 on: March 16, 2018, 02:04:38 AM »
i genuinely wonder where Reggie Witherspoon was tonight and if he even watched this game.

Anyone still think we should've kept Reggie? Anyone, anyone?

March 16, 2018, 02:44:08 AM
Reply #72

UB85

• Information
  • Position Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2018, 02:44:08 AM »
Nate Oats talked about three things at the beginning of the year:

1.  Win the conference regular season
2.  Win the conference tournament
3.  Win some games in the NCAA tournament

Mission Accomplished. 

Let's see how far we can go.

Love this!!!

March 16, 2018, 08:17:16 AM
Reply #73

admin

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #73 on: March 16, 2018, 08:17:16 AM »

Come on is this really necessary?
This win is for everyone. Including Bazzani, Cohane, Witherspoon, Hurley and everyone in between. All the past players and coaches and key administrators especially President Greiner. They all played a part. Let’s not ruin the good feeling.

March 16, 2018, 08:46:54 AM
Reply #74

squire17

• Information
  • All Rookie Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2018, 08:46:54 AM »

Come on is this really necessary?
This win is for everyone. Including Bazzani, Cohane, Witherspoon, Hurley and everyone in between. All the past players and coaches and key administrators especially President Greiner. They all played a part. Let’s not ruin the good feeling.
Agree completely!

This site is READ ONLY