As of 8/24/2018, this site has been archived. Please visit http://www.ubfan.com for the new site
THIS SITE IS READ ONLY

Author Topic: #13 UB vs #5 Kentucky Game (3/17 5:15pm)***NCAA 2nd Round  (Read 20266 times)

March 17, 2018, 11:25:12 PM
Reply #60

BrazenBull

• Information
  • Position Coach
  • Flecking Casual
    • View Profile
Re: #13 UB vs #5 Kentucky Game (3/17 5:15pm)***NCAA 2nd Round
« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2018, 11:25:12 PM »

Perkins needs to alter his shot. I’m really surprised that he’s still shooting the same way from outside. He either needs to add more arc or he should not shoot those late in games. I know he hit a big one in the MAC tourney. I hate to say it but that was one of those no no no yes.

That was definitely the crowd reaction with that particular shot. Every time he pulled up to shoot beyond the arc, tension filled the air.

March 18, 2018, 01:03:47 PM
Reply #61

UB85

• Information
  • Position Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2018, 01:03:47 PM »

Perkins needs to alter his shot. I’m really surprised that he’s still shooting the same way from outside. He either needs to add more arc or he should not shoot those late in games. I know he hit a big one in the MAC tourney. I hate to say it but that was one of those no no no yes.

That was definitely the crowd reaction with that particular shot. Every time he pulled up to shoot beyond the arc, tension filled the air.

It's ugly. But it works for him. The key is for Perk to be far more judicious when, where and how much time he has to take a 3. He also gets way too enamored with trying to handle the ball and beat opponents off the dribble. He gets himself, and thus the team, in trouble far too may times because he has yet to figure out when not/to do both things. It is extremely unlikely that his shot changes in any significant way.

Jayvon Graves, on the other hand, has much more to work with and can change his shot. The spin on his 3 point shot is east and west rather than the traditional rotation of a dead eye marksman where the ball rotates with backspin and a north/south rotation. He needs to focus on wrist snap and follow through toward the hoop.

March 18, 2018, 02:58:21 PM
Reply #62

Kevin

• Information
  • All Rookie Team
  • UB Basketball Die Hard ('06 - Present)
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2018, 02:58:21 PM »
I’m still not sure what I just witnessed with Kentucky.  Maybe I’m giving Buffalo too much credit but Kentucky looks legit. I basically saw this game as a 12 vs 5 but that was not a 5 seed. They looked like one of the best teams in the tourney. They did not make any freshmen mistakes. I thought if we made a run which we did in the second half they would make mistakes. They didn’t.  They kept coming. They were relentless. 

One thing I realized watching these games: if we want to hang with these guys, we might need to learn some zone. Our identity is man, but we might need to switch things up once in a while. I don’t think it would have mattered because Kentucky was really good. I would guess that was a very good game from them. We needed them to play average and unfortunately they had it going.

Clark is going to be hard to replace. We might not need him to win the MAC, but boy did he carry us tonight. Without him, I think we lose by 40.

I really also hope Smart will come back. You need big bodies against these p5 teams.

Smart is long gone. He's already committed to go back to NC. Not sure if there is a Mid Major there he'll stick with. Maybe one of the smaller UNCs.

I expect this run to help us fill our forward need with a big time recruit who is unsigned, or another JuCo transfer.

March 18, 2018, 04:04:00 PM
Reply #63

squire17

• Information
  • All Rookie Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2018, 04:04:00 PM »
I’m still not sure what I just witnessed with Kentucky.  Maybe I’m giving Buffalo too much credit but Kentucky looks legit. I basically saw this game as a 12 vs 5 but that was not a 5 seed. They looked like one of the best teams in the tourney. They did not make any freshmen mistakes. I thought if we made a run which we did in the second half they would make mistakes. They didn’t.  They kept coming. They were relentless. 

One thing I realized watching these games: if we want to hang with these guys, we might need to learn some zone. Our identity is man, but we might need to switch things up once in a while. I don’t think it would have mattered because Kentucky was really good. I would guess that was a very good game from them. We needed them to play average and unfortunately they had it going.

Clark is going to be hard to replace. We might not need him to win the MAC, but boy did he carry us tonight. Without him, I think we lose by 40.

I really also hope Smart will come back. You need big bodies against these p5 teams.

Smart is long gone. He's already committed to go back to NC. Not sure if there is a Mid Major there he'll stick with. Maybe one of the smaller UNCs.

I expect this run to help us fill our forward need with a big time recruit who is unsigned, or another JuCo transfer.

Sure hope the Bulls can get a tough big who can defend and grab rebounds.

March 18, 2018, 08:28:36 PM
Reply #64

enrique14150

• Information
  • Redshirt Freshman
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2018, 08:28:36 PM »
At the end of this game I was just so proud of this team - how hard they fought, how they took this program to the next step.  Warrior Wes Clark.  They started cold from the floor and every time they almost caught up, Kentucky would hit a couple shots.  Nothing but pride in fighting their hardest against a really good opponent.

March 19, 2018, 08:35:55 AM
Reply #65

admin

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2018, 08:35:55 AM »
Had to rewind and see what happened in this game.

Overall UB played with lot of grit. As well as Kentucky played, we had a shot to win. Some key plays changed things around.

A play which I think changed the game happened at the start. It was when Shai G took Jordan off the dribble. Jordan played him very tight and Shai pushes him. A foul is called on Jordan. This is a 50:50 call but the refs were not going to give this to the defense on this night. This sets up the whole game. Jordan is forced to give Shai space and Shai has a career night. Maybe he’s actually the best PG in this years draft, I would certainly take him over Trae Young. I believe the game would have been different if that foul went to Shai. Jordan is caught in foul trouble all night.

Three point shooting first half. It wasn’t falling, we did shout ourselves out of it but we settled too much in the first half. It’s a double edged sword but I think hitting all those against Arizona hurt us in this game. We fell in love with it Instead of taking it hard.

Around the 12 minute mark (2nd half) UB is once again making a run. I think we bring it to 5. Kentucky is caught on a switch and a guard is on Perkins. Harris has the ball on the left key and instead of feeding Perkins he tries to take Gabriel off the dribble. He travels. Perkins is visibly upset. Part of the reason why I had to rewind to see exactly who was guarding him on that play. Kentucky comes back and hits a three. Back up by 8.

Diallo skies for a putback dunk. Afterwards, he goes a little overboard with the taunting. No tech is called. He continues to play with that same swagger the whole game. His best games as a wildcat.

Clark gets kneed by Gabriel boxing out. He just didn’t seem to have the same explosion afterwards.

We make another run and Clark find McRae for a beautiful should be dunk. McRae inexplicably loses the ball while going up. Was it a foul? Replays show no. On the next play, McRae is open for a corner 3. It’s an air ball. Again did McRae hitting that shot against Arizona give him that false confidence?

Around the 8 minute mark, Caruthers makes an amazing steal and drives for a fast break and 1. We cut it to five. Another Kentucky turnover and we are in transition. Instead of driving to the hoop we setup Harris for a 3.  It’s short and Kentucky comes back and hits a 3 and that was pretty much it.  Kentucky plays with energy and we look spent.

The casual fan will see the score and think Kentucky dominated this game. It was a dog fight and we fell short. In the same way, most will see the Arizona score and think we dominated. That game was also close. 

March 19, 2018, 10:16:47 AM
Reply #66

mikescherrer8

• Information
  • Signed Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2018, 10:16:47 AM »
This game kind of showed that yeah we have really good guards, but, we are so incredibly bleak at the 4 and 5 forward position, and that was really a major issue because of how lengthy Kentucky is. Outside of Perkins, we have nobody that can be remotely consistent. That is something Oats and company have got to address this off-season.

We are going to be bloody stacked at guard next season, but, forward position is not looking pretty as of right now.

GO BULLS! 

March 19, 2018, 11:22:39 AM
Reply #67

guru

• Information
  • Signed Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2018, 11:22:39 AM »
Right on the money mikescherrer8 about our 4/5 positions.I have been saying that all year. It so hard at the mid major level to find that big time athletic quality big man at the 4/5 position. Both Smart and McCrea are very limited and not consistent. It will be interesting to see if Bertram shows any improvement next year. We were able to get away with their weaknesses in the MAC but it becomes very difficult when playing top tier teams. I don't see much improvement next year unless the coaches can hit on some JUCO type player or some player that fell thru the cracks like CJ did. The recruits that coach Oats are looking at for after next year show they know what they need. Most of the players they are looking at at big, athletic front line players. Go Bulls!!!!

March 19, 2018, 10:03:57 PM
Reply #68

MillenniumBull

• Information
  • Redshirt Freshman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2018, 10:03:57 PM »
Had to rewind and see what happened in this game.

Overall UB played with lot of grit. As well as Kentucky played, we had a shot to win. Some key plays changed things around.

A play which I think changed the game happened at the start. It was when Shai G took Jordan off the dribble. Jordan played him very tight and Shai pushes him. A foul is called on Jordan. This is a 50:50 call but the refs were not going to give this to the defense on this night. This sets up the whole game. Jordan is forced to give Shai space and Shai has a career night. Maybe he’s actually the best PG in this years draft, I would certainly take him over Trae Young. I believe the game would have been different if that foul went to Shai. Jordan is caught in foul trouble all night.

Three point shooting first half. It wasn’t falling, we did shout ourselves out of it but we settled too much in the first half. It’s a double edged sword but I think hitting all those against Arizona hurt us in this game. We fell in love with it Instead of taking it hard.

Around the 12 minute mark (2nd half) UB is once again making a run. I think we bring it to 5. Kentucky is caught on a switch and a guard is on Perkins. Harris has the ball on the left key and instead of feeding Perkins he tries to take Gabriel off the dribble. He travels. Perkins is visibly upset. Part of the reason why I had to rewind to see exactly who was guarding him on that play. Kentucky comes back and hits a three. Back up by 8.

Diallo skies for a putback dunk. Afterwards, he goes a little overboard with the taunting. No tech is called. He continues to play with that same swagger the whole game. His best games as a wildcat.

Clark gets kneed by Gabriel boxing out. He just didn’t seem to have the same explosion afterwards.

We make another run and Clark find McRae for a beautiful should be dunk. McRae inexplicably loses the ball while going up. Was it a foul? Replays show no. On the next play, McRae is open for a corner 3. It’s an air ball. Again did McRae hitting that shot against Arizona give him that false confidence?

Around the 8 minute mark, Caruthers makes an amazing steal and drives for a fast break and 1. We cut it to five. Another Kentucky turnover and we are in transition. Instead of driving to the hoop we setup Harris for a 3.  It’s short and Kentucky comes back and hits a 3 and that was pretty much it.  Kentucky plays with energy and we look spent.

The casual fan will see the score and think Kentucky dominated this game. It was a dog fight and we fell short. In the same way, most will see the Arizona score and think we dominated. That game was also close.

You choose : false confidence or no confidence. I know which a gentleman named Nate Oats chooses.

This site is READ ONLY