As of 8/24/2018, this site has been archived. Please visit http://www.ubfan.com for the new site
THIS SITE IS READ ONLY

Author Topic: UBfan.com - your feedback is needed  (Read 31460 times)

March 16, 2018, 12:32:05 PM
Read 31460 times

admin

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://
UBfan.com - your feedback is needed
« on: March 16, 2018, 12:32:05 PM »
To all those that have been here all this time.  Thanks for sticking around. 

To those that are just coming back.  Welcome back.

Since I have you all here in one place, I would like to ask for some feedback.

UBfan.com was started almost 18 years ago.  It was meant to be a place for fans to gather online.  Technology has changed.  We are not engaging in long dialogues as much anymore.  Statements and arguments are made in 140 characters.  So times have changed. 

I would like your feedback on how to make UBfan.com more relevant for the fan community.  We are not here to replace facebook or twitter, but perhaps there's a way for us to still have an online presence where all the fans can congregate.

Please leave your suggestions here.  I'm interested in hearing why you don't visit as much, what can be improved, what ubfan.com needs to do to stay relevant.  The biggest issue for the site is that students are no longer using bulletin boards to communicate anymore.  I think it's a generational thing and they prefer to hit short one liners on facebook and twitter, but we still need a way to get that demographic into the fandom community.

Secondly, I would also like to get some volunteers to help out.  Some possible areas could be:
 - Student liaison
 - Maybe a social person (twitter or facebook liaison)
 - Help with moderating
 - Writing feature articles from time to time.  Game previews, player interviews, game summaries.
 - Help with designing the new look.

Jeseph has already reached out to me about some of these ideas.  So perhaps we can form a group.  The whole goal is to promote UB from a fan perspective.  It's always about promoting UB athletics from a grassroot effort.  I do not want some corporate entity to become the place for where true Buffalo fans gather.

Thanks for reading.

March 16, 2018, 12:38:07 PM
Reply #1

promotherobot

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
Re: UBfan.com - your feedback is needed
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 12:38:07 PM »
I like that UBFan is a forum and not a news site. I love UBBullRun but I don't like that you can't have conversations outside of comment threads, and their Fanposts require 50 words. Sometimes, all you want to say fits in 10. So UBFan has it's niche and fills it well.

March 16, 2018, 12:39:00 PM
Reply #2

Buffalofan4255

• Information
  • Redshirt Freshman
  • Alum β€˜15, β€˜13-β€˜14 True Blue E-Board
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 12:39:00 PM »
It’s been a while for me - but glad to see these ideas.
The State University of New York at Buffalo

March 16, 2018, 01:14:56 PM
Reply #3

RapidsFan

• Information
  • Redshirt Freshman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 01:14:56 PM »
Make tweets auto-embed when you post Twitter links

March 16, 2018, 01:20:14 PM
Reply #4

ChubbyHubby

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
  • WILL YOU CONSIDER HELPING OUT?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 01:20:14 PM »
I agree with Promo on this.  I'm not sure UBFan needs writers to do feature articles.  There's already a site for that.  I like the 2 sites for what they are.  UBFan for short blurbs and discussion, BullRun for the articles and ensuing discussion.  The only thing I miss on UBFan is a "Rec" or "Like" button.  (Promo, I hope I read you correctly).  I'm also quite glad that traffic on UBFan seems to have picked up quite a bit in the last few months or so.
PLEASE CONSIDER DONATING TO MY RIDE FOR ROSWELL
Ask me how you can help out.

March 16, 2018, 01:22:43 PM
Reply #5

UB92

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 01:22:43 PM »
I like that UBFan is a forum and not a news site. I love UBBullRun but I don't like that you can't have conversations outside of comment threads, and their Fanposts require 50 words. Sometimes, all you want to say fits in 10. So UBFan has it's niche and fills it well.

I have been here since the beginning (even before, when it was a board on ESPN.com).  I even wore my ubfan.com t-shirt on Saturday at the game.

I agree with PTR about the forum aspect.  The UB fan base is from teenager to grave, so boards like this may be more amenable to those who are not as active on other areas of social media (e.g. snapchat, etc.)   I think what you need is a wrap around approach to go to the demographics you want at the places where they are.  Thus, is there a ubfan.com snapchap, instagram, etc?  This is a different approach than driving all demographics to the same place (e.g. this message board).

I will give this more thought.  If I have additional comments, I will post them.

Good idea to capture input today after such an important yesterday (and in advance of the games on Saturday).

The State University of New York. 

Blue. White. Damn Right.

March 16, 2018, 02:43:50 PM
Reply #6

ed

• Information
  • Redshirt Freshman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 02:43:50 PM »
back in the dark days of reggie, i remember a couple threads that got locked simply because the mods got tired of them and thought that the discussion had gone on long enough.

those were the only threads i recall at that time going beyond a couple pages.  hard to have a community and ongoing discussion when threads get locked because admins simply don't like the thread, not that rules were being broken. 

a step down is the chiding and bans, aimed at those who aren't all uber positive about the athletics program at ub. like this: http://www.ubfan.com/board/index.php/topic,5613.msg61558.html#msg61558 why should someone who thinks someone should be fired be banned?  and this might be the only fan forum where it's seen as a personal attack to say a coach sucks, f' him.   maybe a byu forum.  ha.  it's your forum, your rules, but hey, it doesn't help - b!tching about your lousy team is as much a part of sports as cheering for your lousy team.  :D

the forum software itself is also not great.  post something, and get kicked back out to the forum page rather than back where you were in the thread? no notifications on responses to your posts?

modify: these were brought up as rules being broken by fire reggie posters:
Rule 6: We already know how a handful of you feel.  If you constantly make posts about the same subject, you are now entering "Attacking an individual" territory.  This is not tolerated.
Rule 7: If you come to the site and all you post are about why someone should be fired, then you're using this site for a cause against the University and the Athletics Department.  This is not tolerated.
Rule 8: Again, if you continually post the same message, you are now spamming the site.  You are no different than someone who comes here to post messages about some pill or some sketchy site.  You will be kicked off if you continue to spam the site.

saying you wanted reggie fired was seen as an attack on the individual, spam, and using the site against the university and athletics dept.  *sigh*
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 02:52:28 PM by ed »

March 16, 2018, 03:03:56 PM
Reply #7

BrooklynBull

• Information
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2018, 03:03:56 PM »
I agree with Promo on this.  I'm not sure UBFan needs writers to do feature articles.  There's already a site for that.  I like the 2 sites for what they are.  UBFan for short blurbs and discussion, BullRun for the articles and ensuing discussion.  The only thing I miss on UBFan is a "Rec" or "Like" button.  (Promo, I hope I read you correctly).  I'm also quite glad that traffic on UBFan seems to have picked up quite a bit in the last few months or so.

agreed.

March 16, 2018, 04:21:44 PM
Reply #8

RochBull

• Information
  • All MAC Performer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2018, 04:21:44 PM »
This is one of the few sites that I check every day. I've been coming here since I was a junior back in 2004. I had a different ID back then that I've forgotten (I created this one sometime after I had graduated).. Even though I've never met most of you in person, it feels like I know many of you. I've definitely noticed the traffic dip over the years, but it's still be go to place to keep up with what is going on with UB Athletics and the University as a whole. I do also read Bull Run and Hussle Belt on a regular basis for news as well. I do agree that if you have the resources to try and modernize and expand the site, that would be awesome. I think the most important thing though is the community we've built here over the years and how to continue to nurture it.

March 16, 2018, 04:54:10 PM
Reply #9

Kevin

• Information
  • All Rookie Team
  • UB Basketball Die Hard ('06 - Present)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2018, 04:54:10 PM »
I can help with social/mod Admin.

I create a lot of the posts anyways. Most of the guys at UBBullRun are annoyed with me anyways. They are more satisfied with effort/status quo and not with development and advancement of the fan base to deserve more out of their team/coaches/school.

I have a pretty good social presence, so I can help out there as well.

March 16, 2018, 05:20:12 PM
Reply #10

squire17

• Information
  • All Rookie Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2018, 05:20:12 PM »
I prefer this site over Bull Run. Not into Tweets, FaceTime, or other forms of mass communication(?). Keep up the good work! I may be incorrect, but I think a former poster has been banned - BSF. If so, I disagree with the decision to block his views (however incoherent and lengthy they were at times). Go Bulls!

March 16, 2018, 05:45:22 PM
Reply #11

yussi1870

• Information
  • All Rookie Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2018, 05:45:22 PM »
I used to post a lot more and come to the site a lot more (during the Turner Battle days). Now I spend more time at the CollegeBasketball subreddit on Reddit. It's easier to use in terms of threading and hierarchy of posts. Still, I like to have a "local" community that actually cares about our school

March 16, 2018, 09:47:31 PM
Reply #12

121Merrimac

• Information
  • Redshirt Freshman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2018, 09:47:31 PM »
... saying you wanted reggie fired ...

To me,  it wasn't about the coach.

Saying anything, positive or negative, over and over without posting other topics simply becomes tiresome.  Regardless of the rules.

March 17, 2018, 09:05:19 AM
Reply #13

BrazenBull

• Information
  • Position Coach
  • Flecking Casual
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2018, 09:05:19 AM »
 To some extent, life outside of UB got in the way, but I stopped visiting as much right around the time that Bull Run started taking the game thread traffic and much of the conversation in general. That being said, ubfan feels like it has stagnated for a while, and BIE was doing his damnedest to innovate. Haven't been there in forever but I follow their Twitter which seems to be manned by a writer of theirs (and current True Blue officer) who Tim has sent to both Cleveland and Boise. Hell, he's been interviewed for radio and print as an expert on UB. That's legit, congrats on your success, folks.

I miss the old layout, though I understand that changes had to be made to protect the security and integrity of the site. That being said, the current software leaves a bit to be desired. It's not mobile friendly in the least. The first visit/render of the site takes about 10 seconds most times for me, which seems a bit odd for a site these days. The avatar feature is mostly broken (you might want to scan through the cached avatars, there are a couple inappropriate ones in the mix, including one directed at you, admin)

What platform is it that integrates with the tapatalk mobile app? Maybe look into that?

Just a few thoughts. I'm posting on mobile, which is 98% of my visits anymore, so I'm going to cut it short here.

March 19, 2018, 09:59:17 AM
Reply #14

C-Squared

• Information
  • Redshirt Freshman
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Skaliveson7
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2018, 09:59:17 AM »
I just want to say - I still visit and read every day - just rarely post. This site is an invaluable resource for me to keep up with the heartbeat of the Bulls fanbase now that I have been graduated for 5 years.

This site is READ ONLY