As of 8/24/2018, this site has been archived. Please visit http://www.ubfan.com for the new site
THIS SITE IS READ ONLY

Author Topic: The vision for Athletics and how it plays out  (Read 3645 times)

March 16, 2018, 02:40:54 PM
Read 3645 times

admin

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://
The vision for Athletics and how it plays out
« on: March 16, 2018, 02:40:54 PM »
We are seeing the fruit of the vision for why UB needs a successful Athletics program.  I can't stress how important this is.

From time to time, you get those officers in Alumni Engagement or Academia (all from UB) on why Athletics is just a waste of money.  No amount of study or research can actually quantify it.  Plus, I really think those that do the study always are biased against it and will use data to prove their point.  I can't remember the name, but there was someone (I think it was the guy in charge of Alumni Association) basically explain to me that all studies point to Athletics being a money loser and how it takes away from Academics.  Needless to say, he would annoy the heck out of me.

Here are things you just can't quantify. 

- It brings old friends together.  I have some good friends from my college days.  We get together from time to time.  Try to do yearly camping trip with the families at one of the guys lake house.  Athletics just bonds us so much closer.  It really strengthens our friendship.  Perhaps that's shallow, but it's just a us against them attitude and it just brings us closer together and we just want to hang out more.

- It creates new connections.  You start talking to people and then you discover that you both went to UB.  I just spoke to someone in the hallway and I had no clue he was a UB grad.  Now we just have this connection and I immediately like him.  Strange I know.  I can't explain it.  I can't quantify it.  What can I say?

- Brand Recognition.  There is a colleague of mine that wants his daughter to attend UB but she obviously doesn't.  She's from Westchester.   I live in a pretty wealthy neighborhood in Westchester and the kids usually do not think about tuition.  Or they do not want it to be part of the equation in choosing a school.  I know it's wrong and all, it's just where I live.  Most goto private schools.  I can wear my UB gear and feel proud.  I can even dress my kids in UB gear and they won't feel outcasted.  (I know, shallow, but it is the world we live in).

- How many of us suffered the condescending or the sarcastic tone from our friends?  Let's be honest.  I have endured it.  "You guys play D1"?  Oh you made the tourney?  Congrats (but not a excited congrats, more like a snickering one).  UB, ok, I went to Penn State or Ohio State or fill in any other big school.  Nothing is really said, but somehow them rooting for a big time program is more worthy of their time and energy.  Rooting for a small school is an exercise in futility. 

Just as an aside, nothing irritates me more than a UB grad who has passion for like an Ohio State or Syracuse but treats UB as their second team.  What did these schools do for you?  Nothing.  These schools do not care about you.  Why do you give your allegiance to them when you went to a different school.  I just can't understand it.  It annoys me when I see them get excited on facebook but not for Buffalo.  Really annoys me.  Sorry for the rant. 

For one night, it just felt so good.  Getting in was one thing.  But actually winning and beating a top team.  I just can't describe what it did to all those years of pain and suffering. 

I just want to say, thank you to the administrators, President Trapathi, President Greiner, Danny White, Warde Manuel, Kathy Twist and anyone and everyone who continues to believe in the value of Athletics. 

If you also have some stories, please share.  Let's let the administration know how important it is to continue to support our Athletics program.

March 16, 2018, 02:47:16 PM
Reply #1

ed

• Information
  • Redshirt Freshman
    • View Profile
Re: The vision for Athletics and how it plays out
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 02:47:16 PM »
Just as an aside, nothing irritates me more than a UB grad who has passion for like an Ohio State or Syracuse but treats UB as their second team.  What did these schools do for you?  Nothing.  These schools do not care about you.  Why do you give your allegiance to them when you went to a different school.  I just can't understand it.  It annoys me when I see them get excited on facebook but not for Buffalo.  Really annoys me.  Sorry for the rant.

i love me some 'cuse.  they were pretty local, i grew up watching them,and my earliest memories of college sports are of syracuse basketball, from when i was a wee child.  not sure why i wouldn't continue to root for them because i didn't go there. 

as for the schools not caring for me, nope, they don't.  neither does ub, in any real sense.

March 16, 2018, 02:57:38 PM
Reply #2

admin

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 02:57:38 PM »

i love me some 'cuse.  they were pretty local, i grew up watching them,and my earliest memories of college sports are of syracuse basketball, from when i was a wee child.  not sure why i wouldn't continue to root for them because i didn't go there. 

as for the schools not caring for me, nope, they don't.  neither does ub, in any real sense.
Not judging something like a local school you grew up watching or supporting. It's just the over the top passion for a school that you really have a very loose connection to that annoys me.  More so because it's the team en vogue.

March 16, 2018, 03:20:13 PM
Reply #3

sportscliche

• Information
  • Verbal Commit
  • SUNYAB BSEE 1981; MSEE 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 03:20:13 PM »
Brand awareness, marketing, etc are very important. When I went to work in the California aerospace industry in the mid-1980s, few of my colleagues had heard of SUNYAB. Some did, most hadn’t. A competitive sports program changes that. The rest of the developed world laughs at this, but it’s an enduring fact of life in American society.

Does UB care about me? Don’t know the answer to that, but I have a strong allegiance to the school.  UB engineering gave me a top-flight education that was the foundation of a long successful professional career. And it cost next to nothing. Proud to be an alum.

March 16, 2018, 04:03:09 PM
Reply #4

ChubbyHubby

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
  • WILL YOU CONSIDER HELPING OUT?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 04:03:09 PM »
I grew up 10 miles from UB.  Played baseball for a local community college back in the late 70s.  Before the fall of 07, I had attended a grand total of 1 UB basketball game, and 1 UB football game (Turner Gill's first W with us).  Oh, and I played in a volleyball tourney with my big brother in A.A.  That all changed in October 07 when TG hired my wife to work in the football program.  UB Football, Men's and Women's Basketball, and to a lesser extent UB Volleyball have now become a part of my life.  I've also attended some softball, baseball, and rowing matches.  I never attended UB, but it's my school now.  It's human nature to refer to  the team that you root for as US.  It's OUR team, and WE won last night.   It feels good that WE have advanced and OUR team is one of the 32 left.
PLEASE CONSIDER DONATING TO MY RIDE FOR ROSWELL
Ask me how you can help out.

March 16, 2018, 04:10:04 PM
Reply #5

ed

• Information
  • Redshirt Freshman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 04:10:04 PM »

BTW, when we complain about lack of community support, aren't we largely going for this?  we want people who have no real ties to the school and might have gone elsewhere to have a passion for the program, no?  :P

March 16, 2018, 05:08:11 PM
Reply #6

admin

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 05:08:11 PM »

BTW, when we complain about lack of community support, aren't we largely going for this?  we want people who have no real ties to the school and might have gone elsewhere to have a passion for the program, no?  :P
Yes you are right.  I think my point came out wrong.  We need both students, community and alumni and staff to be supporting the school.  What I really meant to say .... or what I really am railing against is apathy. 

I love fans of Buffalo whether you went to the school or live in Buffalo or just like Buffalo for no reason. I am just going after those that are totally apathetic to what UB is doing.  I think it was more prevalent in the late 80s and 90s.  It's different today, but 90s is when I went to UB.  That was a lost decade of future alumni engagement with lots of apathy and negativity (UB students doing sarcastic UB chants).  That's really the gist of my comment.  Believe me, students would not have gone to UB games with cowbells or jumped on folding tables back then.

Again, my words just came out all wrong.  Sorry to those that were not students or alumni.  Apologies for my inability to communicate my true thoughts.  I'm an engineer.

March 17, 2018, 12:38:59 PM
Reply #7

guru

• Information
  • Signed Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2018, 12:38:59 PM »
All very good comments, and opinions. Excellent food for thought comments. As a family that has been involved and supportive of UB athletics for the last 30+ years we have seen prgress in many areas. For many years we have been in the silent majority where it seemed to be difficult to have both the general fan and even the students show support and become involved . Many ideas given to UB admin seemed to fall on deaf ears and at the grassroots level we can see many areas for improvement. With our success over the last few years there is a definite renewed enthusiasm by fans, students, alumni and the UB admisitration. All of my children graduated from UB and are proud supportive alumni living in Michigan and Virginia and here in Buffalo. And yes, we have formed many new friendships that will last a lifetime. Hope to continue this exciting ride and continue the momentum next year and beyond. Go Bulls!!!!

March 17, 2018, 03:52:22 PM
Reply #8

ubmae86

• Information
  • Verbal Commit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2018, 03:52:22 PM »
- How many of us suffered the condescending or the sarcastic tone from our friends?  Let's be honest.  I have endured it.  "You guys play D1"?  Oh you made the tourney?  Congrats (but not a excited congrats, more like a snickering one).  UB, ok, I went to Penn State or Ohio State or fill in any other big school.  Nothing is really said, but somehow them rooting for a big time program is more worthy of their time and energy.  Rooting for a small school is an exercise in futility. 

I can't even explain how much this rings home with me. I work with people who are from Illinois, Michigan, Ohio State, UW, USC, etc. When ever I tell them that I cheer for my team, Buffalo Bulls, I always get the, "You guys have a basketball/football team?"
It's really frustrating and kind of pisses me off. Now with Buffalo showing up a team like Arizona, with 2 draft picks, hopefully that will change some. Once a UB fan, always a UB fan.

This site is READ ONLY