As of 8/24/2018, this site has been archived. Please visit http://www.ubfan.com for the new site
THIS SITE IS READ ONLY

Author Topic: Bulls in Belfast  (Read 11913 times)

May 04, 2018, 06:01:58 AM
Read 11913 times

BrooklynBull

• Information
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
Bulls in Belfast
« on: May 04, 2018, 06:01:58 AM »
UB will will be playing in Belfast on November 20th and December 1st next season.  It will as part of the Belfast Classic.  The other teams in Belfast are:

Albany
Dartmouth
LIU
Marist
Wisconsin - Milwaukee
San Francisco

An eighth team will probably be added,  It is not know yet who UB will be playing.

Travel packages will be announced.

May 04, 2018, 11:35:28 AM
Reply #1

Kevin

• Information
  • All Rookie Team
  • UB Basketball Die Hard ('06 - Present)
    • View Profile
Re: Bulls in Belfast
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 11:35:28 AM »
UB will will be playing in Belfast on November 20th and December 1st next season.  It will as part of the Belfast Classic.  The other teams in Belfast are:

Albany
Dartmouth
LIU
Marist
Wisconsin - Milwaukee
San Francisco

An eighth team will probably be added,  It is not know yet who UB will be playing.

Travel packages will be announced.

That's a weak field. Hopefully we come out of that with a total win.

May 04, 2018, 04:49:50 PM
Reply #2

MillenniumBull

• Information
  • Redshirt Freshman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 04:49:50 PM »
Always great to get these young adults the wonderful experience of international travel for all the work they put in, and I’m sure it will be a great time. But will not do anything for our SOS most likely. Even If I was to be in Belfast at the time, and as a alum and big fan, don’t think I’d bother to carve out time to go watch any of these matchups. But again, Belfast is a beautiful city and trips like this are great recruiting tools, take a bunch of pics.

May 21, 2018, 11:36:11 AM
Reply #3

BrooklynBull

• Information
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 11:36:11 AM »
The eighth team will be the Lumberjacks of Stephen F. Austin University.

Trivia, since they were the last team in.  One of their alums was the last regular straight on kicker in the NFL, Mark Mosley.

May 21, 2018, 02:13:04 PM
Reply #4

UB85

• Information
  • Position Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 02:13:04 PM »
The eighth team will be the Lumberjacks of Stephen F. Austin University.

Trivia, since they were the last team in.  One of their alums was the last regular straight on kicker in the NFL, Mark Mosley.

That is good stuff Brook!

June 02, 2018, 11:02:03 AM
Reply #5

BrooklynBull

• Information
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2018, 11:02:03 AM »
Information on going to see the games:

https://calendar.buffalo.edu/event/ub-bulls-in-the-belfast-classic/

There are six night trips available leaving with two nights in Dublin on the Sunday after Thanksgiving and returning the following Sunday.

You can also just go for the games and spend four nights only on Belfast.

All breakfasts are included except on the day of arrival and group dinners in Belfast for the last three nights.

There are prices for multiple departure cities.  The included flight is on Aer Lingus.  If you are going from the Buffalo areaa you will have a lot of math to do.  You can fly out of Toronto, which has the cheapest flight because you are paying in Canadian dollars or fly to New York or Boston. (The tour company will help make the arrangements for flights from cities without direct service.)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 11:05:46 AM by BrooklynBull »

July 14, 2018, 08:30:15 AM
Reply #6

kurtdahlberg93

• Information
  • Position Coach
    • View Profile
I did some research.  These are all direct flights.  If you live in New York City to Albany to Boston area you can fly out of Stewart Airport on Norwegian Airlines for $350.00 round trip to Dublin.  From the Dublin Airport there is a bus that goes directly to Belfast.  The Bus takes 2 hrs and brings you into the city center.  I believe it cost $50 round trip.   Also, You can fly from Providence, RI for $325.00 round trip on Norwegian.  Both these flights leave on Wednesday night, so it maybe possible to not miss a workday on Wednesday.  Stewart is a small airport and is easy to get in and out of, same with Providence. Also, From Hartford, CT you can fly Aer Lingus direct to Dublin round trip for $400.00. 

Est. cost to go for one person on the cheap.  flight & airport parking $400, Bus $50, Airbnb $200 (for 3 nights), food $160 ( $40 per day), Event pass/ticket is $36 US dollars for all games.  You can do this trip for $800.00 to $1,000.     

Temps should be around 50 degrees!

July 15, 2018, 05:00:39 PM
Reply #7

BrooklynBull

• Information
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
I did some research.  These are all direct flights.  If you live in New York City to Albany to Boston area you can fly out of Stewart Airport on Norwegian Airlines for $350.00 round trip to Dublin.  From the Dublin Airport there is a bus that goes directly to Belfast.  The Bus takes 2 hrs and brings you into the city center.  I believe it cost $50 round trip.   Also, You can fly from Providence, RI for $325.00 round trip on Norwegian.  Both these flights leave on Wednesday night, so it maybe possible to not miss a workday on Wednesday.  Stewart is a small airport and is easy to get in and out of, same with Providence. Also, From Hartford, CT you can fly Aer Lingus direct to Dublin round trip for $400.00. 

Est. cost to go for one person on the cheap.  flight & airport parking $400, Bus $50, Airbnb $200 (for 3 nights), food $160 ( $40 per day), Event pass/ticket is $36 US dollars for all games.  You can do this trip for $800.00 to $1,000.     

Temps should be around 50 degrees!

If you want to book on your own I would suggest checking with the tour company.  The trip includes tours, dinner on three nights in Belfast, tickets to the games and rooms at the team hotel.

Also check extra charges with Norwegian Air.  The flight does not include much including checked baggage, from what I remember from looking on their site.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 05:02:11 PM by BrooklynBull »

July 15, 2018, 08:23:44 PM
Reply #8

kurtdahlberg93

• Information
  • Position Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2018, 08:23:44 PM »
Yes, good advice.  I did check the tour company and the price for me and my spouse to go would be around $3,000 for 4 days.  The tour price didn't include Airfare and their price for airfare was more per person by $125.  However, that may included one big piece of checked luggage and allow you to pick your seat.  Norwegian and Aer Linus use the same style of online booking process.  Yes, you will have to pay extra to pick your seat ($30.00) if you need to and for free you can bring on a small backpack/duffel bag and one carry on small piece of luggage, 11x22x6 - 21lbs. or some thing like that.  If you must pack a lot of stuff then you will have to check your bag (50 lbs) and that does cost probably $60.00.     

Planning your own trip is not for everyone, but I love to travel and plan trips and this is an easy one.  The tour company is a good deal if you just want to show up and don't have time to make plans. 

Go Bulls and See you in Belfast, UK. 

July 20, 2018, 05:39:12 PM
Reply #9

DooleyBull06

• Information
  • Prospect
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2018, 05:39:12 PM »
https://www.bloggingthebracket.com/2017/11/27/16671208/2018-19-college-basketball-early-season-tournaments-events-mte-neutral-site-showcases-thanksgiving

According to this website we will be playing the Milwaukee Panthers then we would play either San Francisco or Stephen F. Austin in Belfast. I think we all agree it’s a weak overall field, but I would love to play SFA. They were a tourney team last year and could be again this season. They are the only quality opponent in the field. This isn’t official but perhaps it’s an early indication.

July 24, 2018, 05:16:18 AM
Reply #10

BrooklynBull

• Information
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2018, 05:16:18 AM »
https://www.bloggingthebracket.com/2017/11/27/16671208/2018-19-college-basketball-early-season-tournaments-events-mte-neutral-site-showcases-thanksgiving

According to this website we will be playing the Milwaukee Panthers then we would play either San Francisco or Stephen F. Austin in Belfast. I think we all agree it’s a weak overall field, but I would love to play SFA. They were a tourney team last year and could be again this season. They are the only quality opponent in the field. This isn’t official but perhaps it’s an early indication.

Sources have confirmed that this the line up for the half of the tournament that UB is in, as well as the first round math ups.

July 28, 2018, 01:16:41 PM
Reply #11

BrooklynBull

• Information
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2018, 01:16:41 PM »
Just back from a scouting trip to the Dublin area for a conference.

I flew Delta.  Other people flew over on Aer Lingus.  They were told that meals had to be eaten with the seats in their upright and locked position.  This prevented the person who was on the flight from being able to have their tray lay flat while eating.  You can talk to the tour company about flying business class which is about $1,900.00 more per person than their price.

Another flew Norwegian Air out of Stewart Airport.  He had a ride with a friend to the flight.  On the way home he was taking a $20.00 bus ride back to New York City and then the LIRR home.

My meeting was in County Wicklow.  That is the tour included in the six day package on Tuesday.  If you have never been it is worth the trip.  That trip is optional.  If you do not take it you will have a day on your own in Dublin.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 01:10:36 PM by BrooklynBull »

This site is READ ONLY