As of 8/24/2018, this site has been archived. Please visit http://www.ubfan.com for the new site
THIS SITE IS READ ONLY

Author Topic: Excellent Oats interview.  (Read 6970 times)

March 19, 2018, 08:15:05 PM
Read 6970 times

UB85

• Information
  • Position Coach
    • View Profile

March 19, 2018, 09:42:20 PM
Reply #1

121Merrimac

• Information
  • Redshirt Freshman
    • View Profile
Re: Excellent Oats interview.
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 09:42:20 PM »
Thanks for posting.  Yes, that was good...

March 19, 2018, 10:30:05 PM
Reply #2

MillenniumBull

• Information
  • Redshirt Freshman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 10:30:05 PM »
And it does sound like he isn’t going anywhere, at least for another season. Knock on wood.

March 19, 2018, 10:57:19 PM
Reply #3

121Merrimac

• Information
  • Redshirt Freshman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 10:57:19 PM »
And it does sound like he isn’t going anywhere, at least for another season. Knock on wood.

... but, it also made me less confident about the future.

Edit: to be clear, I meant the future after next season.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 07:23:07 PM by 121Merrimac »

March 19, 2018, 11:41:05 PM
Reply #4

Kevin

• Information
  • All Rookie Team
  • UB Basketball Die Hard ('06 - Present)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 11:41:05 PM »
https://www.wgrz.com/article/sports/oats-has-ub-bulls-riding-high/71-529983711

God I love Nate Oats,

But this interview does not make me feel very good in a 2 years. I think when he loses Harris/CJ/Perkins he may have a bit of an open ear.

March 19, 2018, 11:43:47 PM
Reply #5

everlast2504

• Information
  • Position Coach
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 11:43:47 PM »

... but, it also made me less confident about the future.
s

He will be here at least one more season. A million buyout is siginificant amount of money. Also if Oats does makes us the next Butler then I don't think we need to worry. The increased revenue could be enough to compete on salary.

March 20, 2018, 12:29:22 AM
Reply #6

UB85

• Information
  • Position Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 12:29:22 AM »
His comments are effusive about UB, "his guys", Buffalo and WNY. His comments before, during and after the tourney have been very much the same. He of course leaves the door ajar somewhat to a "crazy offer". As I've written elsewhere I truly believe he wants to make UB another Butler, Wichita State, Gonzaga type program and is extremely happy here. I too think he isn't going anywhere this year. If he continues the upward trajectory and UB students, alums, fans and the community rally around him and the program with increased financial and other support it'll make it a difficult decision for him and the family when the time comes where he's faced with a significant offer elsewhere. There is something real special about being the architect of a masterpiece that I believe appeals to Nate.

March 20, 2018, 12:30:39 AM
Reply #7

UB85

• Information
  • Position Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 12:30:39 AM »
As a post script I would once again refer all UB fans to Jeseph's Excellence Fund pinned post.

March 20, 2018, 05:27:48 PM
Reply #8

Dave S

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - squid4lyfe1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 05:27:48 PM »
At this point, I’d be shocked if Oats departed this spring, unless a major power school comes knocking.

That said, if this team reaches its potential in 18-19 and reaches the second round/Sweet 16, I’d be shocked if he stayed. He’ll have built up a great resume at that point.

There’s the possibility that the school goes to invest even more in basketball and that Oats wants to build this program into a perennial power, but history shows that it rarely happens.

March 20, 2018, 08:44:33 PM
Reply #9

MillenniumBull

• Information
  • Redshirt Freshman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 08:44:33 PM »
If next years squad gets some marquee out of conference wins, I see another raise mid season. At that point the writing is on the walls and Oats should not only take some more money for himself but once again increase his buyout and the ability of the University to either bring in new talent or give raises to coaches that rightfully deserve them. Whitesell is a hell of a coach from everything I’ve heard. Hodgson as well. In no way is Oats doing us dirty, we raise his value, buyout raises as well. if he gets that big offer, so be it. The university just needs to make it a really big offer or equally as good a really bid pay off. The only place I agree with trickle down economics...

On the flip side, this is the same reason I am slightly scared this may be the off season Oats may leave. If a UConn or Pitt or any P5 (not including PAC, western NY took there status away from them) is in love with Nate, this year it will cost an extra 1.3 mill... by next year it may be closer to 2 mill, the year after that even more potentially if the program grows the way we all dream about.

March 20, 2018, 11:12:22 PM
Reply #10

UB92

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2018, 11:12:22 PM »
I would be shocked if Oats left now.  He really, really wants to coach next year's team and, I think, he feels they may have an opportunity for a q1 or q2 win. 

If all goes well for UB and they make the tourney again...he gone.  And that would be okay.

I am excited for those posts in the summer where some of the posters on this site try to figure out who is getting minutes.

Go Bulls!
The State University of New York. 

Blue. White. Damn Right.

March 21, 2018, 01:18:25 AM
Reply #11

MDBullsfan89

• Information
  • All MAC Performer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2018, 01:18:25 AM »

On the flip side, this is the same reason I am slightly scared this may be the off season Oats may leave. If a UConn or Pitt or any P5 (not including PAC, western NY took there status away from them) is in love with Nate, this year it will cost an extra 1.3 mill... by next year it may be closer to 2 mill, the year after that even more potentially if the program grows the way we all dream about.

Hopefully UConn hires Dan Hurley. Oats strikes me as a far too sane individual to take the Pitt job, regardless of what they would offer financially. That program is one of the biggest dumpster fires of all P5 schools right now, at least among those that are not tied to the FBI investigation. Of course schools who just fired their coach are generally not in the greatest shape, but I have to think there will be better opportunities out there for him next offseason should he choose to pursue them.

March 21, 2018, 08:22:20 AM
Reply #12

MillenniumBull

• Information
  • Redshirt Freshman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2018, 08:22:20 AM »
I agree that if I were Oats, I wouldn’t touch the Pit jod. Dumpster fire may be a complement at this point. But it is still the ACC and a ton of money. But then again, you would have to live in Pennsylvania, outside of being able to buy fireworks and 190 proof liqueur that place still sucks as I recall.

March 21, 2018, 08:27:48 AM
Reply #13

myBuffalo

• Information
  • All MAC Performer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2018, 08:27:48 AM »
I agree that if I were Oats, I wouldn’t touch the Pit jod. Dumpster fire may be a complement at this point. But it is still the ACC and a ton of money. But then again, you would have to live in Pennsylvania, outside of being able to buy fireworks and 190 proof liqueur that place still sucks as I recall.

I do take umbrage to you saying living in Pennsylvania sucks - I was born in raised in NYS and have made Pennsylvania and more so Philadelphia my home for my family for the going on 2 decades with no intention of moving. I have friends that live in Pittsburgh and they are quite happy, granted the area in between Pittsburgh and Philly can be more challenging to enjoy, the Keystone state is a very lovely place to live.
Lets Go Buffalo!

March 21, 2018, 08:52:56 AM
Reply #14

promotherobot

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2018, 08:52:56 AM »
I think we have one more season with Coach Oats. Whether we can have more depends on how much the community steps up for these programs. The UB administration, and its new AD which I heard is being announced today, will keep the raises coming as long as the financial support follows.

And that means some well-heeled benefactors writing checks with plenty of commas and zeros. (I'm looking at you, Mr.Pegula.) There's no reason why WNY can't elevate UB basketball to the level of a Syracuse.

But looking ahead to next season, what can UB men's basketball achieve? (Or for that matter, can we get in a poll this season with our win over AZ?)

Making the polls is one milestone. Can we get some quality wins? Will any power conference teams even want to play us, much less play a home game with us. (We certainly deserve to have at least one. It would go a long way to get fans even more excited.) I think Coach Oats will need to pull some strings to get an appealing OOC schedule next year.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 08:54:38 AM by promotherobot »

This site is READ ONLY