As of 8/24/2018, this site has been archived. Please visit http://www.ubfan.com for the new site
THIS SITE IS READ ONLY

Author Topic: Eastern Michigan Dropping Four Sports  (Read 8790 times)

March 20, 2018, 10:27:44 AM
Read 8790 times

BrooklynBull

• Information
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
Eastern Michigan Dropping Four Sports
« on: March 20, 2018, 10:27:44 AM »
They are dropping Softball, wrestling, men's swimming and diving and women's tennis.

http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/index.ssf/2018/03/eastern_michigan_dropping_4_sp.html

March 20, 2018, 11:23:21 PM
Reply #1

rma

• Information
  • All Rookie Team
    • View Profile
Re: Eastern Michigan Dropping Four Sports
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 11:23:21 PM »
I do not understand how you drop a team with 34 MAC titles.
So, thunder through, Go Blue! Give a Cheer, never fear!

March 22, 2018, 07:13:33 AM
Reply #2

ubfan75

• Information
  • Signed Recruit
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 07:13:33 AM »
I do not understand how you drop a team with 34 MAC titles.
Answer: $$$

March 26, 2018, 11:44:08 PM
Reply #3

squire17

• Information
  • All Rookie Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 11:44:08 PM »
They are slitting their own throats when they cut sports. It turns off the alumni who bother to make donations. It diminishes the pool of applicants because kids who want to continue participation in intercollegiate athletics won’t even bother to apply. Oh yeah, it keeps costs down so the average Joe can save 20 to 50 bucks a year. Penny wise pound foolish.

March 27, 2018, 01:36:49 PM
Reply #4

guru

• Information
  • Signed Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 01:36:49 PM »
It is unforunate what is now happening with colleges dropping sports. It will probably be happening more because it is what is called a copycat type legue. Because of the way football is preceived in this country these powerful so called intellignet people (presidents, AD's etc) can't drop football out of Division I for fear of losing face and ultimitely losing their jobs or losing their big time salaries. Still not very clear how much a football team costs are and how much profit is made for a college. I know this is a lot more complicated issue than I am painting but is a sad commentary that the all mighty buck is the end all to all solutions.

March 28, 2018, 08:48:20 AM
Reply #5

BrooklynBull

• Information
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile

March 28, 2018, 11:05:31 AM
Reply #6

guru

• Information
  • Signed Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 11:05:31 AM »
Thanks BrooklynBull for posting more information on the EMU situation. As I said before these administrators can't look past their own noses when making decisions for their colleges. Dropping down from Division I is not just in their equation. They can't lose face or their stature and are afraid they will lose their status, job or their bloated salaries. Administrators earning $25 milllion  is a total farce  and not one of them are willing to take pay cuts. The amount of money many of these colleges spend to stay in Division I football is just crazy. Just a sad commentary on the state of our supposed leaders who do not have a clue and do not care what is happening at the grassroots level of our country with so many people struggling to make ends meet.

March 29, 2018, 05:25:04 PM
Reply #7

rma

• Information
  • All Rookie Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2018, 05:25:04 PM »
Division 2 makes more sense than FCS
So, thunder through, Go Blue! Give a Cheer, never fear!

March 29, 2018, 06:59:46 PM
Reply #8

squire17

• Information
  • All Rookie Team
    • View Profile
    • Email

March 30, 2018, 09:14:24 AM
Reply #9

BrooklynBull

• Information
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2018, 09:14:24 AM »
Eastern's response:

http://wemu.org/post/emu-responds-demands-made-students-faculty-and-staff-after-budget-cuts

Eastern has many financial issues campus wide, not just in athletics.  The portion of the response to leaving the MAC"

Demand #5: “Leave the MAC and join the Horizon League or Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference. This would lead to a substantial reduction in athletic spending, and eliminate EMU’s projected 2018 budget deficit. EMU could still have a football team.”

University response: Leaving the Mid-American Conference (MAC) would be extremely detrimental to the entire Athletic program and the University as a whole. EMU’s football program produces the vast majority of revenues generated by the Athletic Department because of our status as a Division I FBS school. Retaining a football team in a different division would dramatically reduce revenues with little cost savings. These factors are outlined in more detail below.

EMU’s football program generates the vast majority of revenue generated by the Athletic program through, among other things, game guarantees, ESPN broadcast rights, MAC revenue sharing, licensing, and ticket sales. For example, this year the EMU Athletic Department received more than $1 million for competing against the University of Kentucky. Opportunities such as this would disappear as a non-Division I FBS school.

In addition to generating the majority of operating revenue for the Athletic Department, EMU’s football program generates more donor revenue than any other sport.

Changing conference affiliation would impact every sport at EMU. Our student-athletes and coaches chose EMU for the fact that they wanted to be part of a Division I FBS athletic department and compete against other premier athletic programs.

In addition to losing substantial revenues tied to game guarantees, NCAA & conference payments, and sponsorships, leaving the MAC would require up-front payments in excess of $10 million to, among other things, exit the MAC and cancel future football game guarantee contracts with other schools. The process to be invited to join a new conference – if invited to do so – would require additional up-front payments.

This site is READ ONLY