As of 8/24/2018, this site has been archived. Please visit http://www.ubfan.com for the new site
THIS SITE IS READ ONLY

Author Topic: Odds on keeping FLJ and NO  (Read 93296 times)

March 21, 2018, 04:38:50 PM
Read 93296 times

UB85

• Information
  • Position Coach
    • View Profile
Odds on keeping FLJ and NO
« on: March 21, 2018, 04:38:50 PM »
I get the sense that it may be difficult to keep Jack. I think it’s more likely she decides to move on. Bronstein has been tweeting about her situation. He mentions that there hasn’t been any discussions about a new contract and that she’s looking for raises for her assistants so she and they can move forward. I wouldn’t be surprised if she could be a bit put off that she hadn’t been approached since Oats was and got a new deal. Oats on the other hand I still believe will be here next year. I just don’t see him leaving Perkins and CJ behind with an excellent recruiting class coming in. Apparently Bryan is out in Kansas recruiting. No stopping these guys.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 09:35:17 PM by UB85 »

March 21, 2018, 04:49:41 PM
Reply #1

promotherobot

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
Re: Odds on keeping FLJ and NO
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 04:49:41 PM »
I'm thinking the same. All your points plus she's losing a lot of the team to graduation. She's likely a hotter candidate now than later. I did get the sense that she wasn't getting shown the love Oates was.

March 21, 2018, 05:00:22 PM
Reply #2

TML1000

• Information
  • Prospect
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 05:00:22 PM »
On the flip side, there is a chance she may not want to go back to a "major" conference team. She was previously in such a scenario and did not have near the success she has had in Buffalo. Of course, FLG has grown and improved as a coach since but it may be tougher to pull off how she has transformed the program here in a place where women's basketball may be an after thought in comparison to other teams.

Money is obviously always a major factor but certainly far from the only factor. FLG is one of if not the most well-like and well-respected coaches and people in the WNY and truly has the ability to further build this program. Yes, some of the major players this season are departing but the cupboard is far from bare with returnees and incoming recruits.

March 21, 2018, 05:51:22 PM
Reply #3

121Merrimac

• Information
  • Redshirt Freshman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 05:51:22 PM »
... but the cupboard is far from bare with returnees and incoming recruits.

I wish I knew more about how the WBB recruits compare with other schools.  We have been spoiled by VerbalCommits dot com on the men's side.  Are there any sites that anyone uses for WBB recruiting info? 

I just found https://prospectsnation.com/players/verbals/2018, but have no idea how reliable it is.  It doesn't list anyone for Buffalo, and suggests that both Miami and EMU have a 4 star player coming in next year.

March 21, 2018, 06:00:46 PM
Reply #4

zigo230

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 06:00:46 PM »
I think they will show her plenty of love once the season ends.  I mean she did say she loves UB and would like to retire here.  So let's see UB and their shiny new AD step up at seasons end and do what it take to keep her in Buffalo.

March 21, 2018, 06:44:46 PM
Reply #5

MillenniumBull

• Information
  • Redshirt Freshman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 06:44:46 PM »
A lot easier to keep WBB coach around. Only a handful of programs around the country have a Women’s game as an income sport, and outside of those teams, salary disparity is much more negligible. And the MAC should of been a 3 bid league this year, so there isn’t too many greener pastures. The entire staff absolutely is due for raises

March 21, 2018, 09:38:40 PM
Reply #6

UB85

• Information
  • Position Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 09:38:40 PM »
Jacks name has been mentioned in connection with BC. Oats has been mentioned in connection with UConn and Pitt. Dan Hurley is the first choice of both. The guess is that Hurley goes to UConn as that is the area he recruits well and is most familiar with. Pitt reportedly offered Hurley a 3M/year deal. Meanwhile Oats keeps saying things that suggest he isn’t going anywhere. 

March 22, 2018, 01:53:11 AM
Reply #7

promotherobot

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 01:53:11 AM »
What does the highest paid women's coach in the MAC make?

March 22, 2018, 08:44:55 AM
Reply #8

BullsFan14

• Information
  • Verbal Commit
  • BS '14, EdM'16
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 08:44:55 AM »
I think what we are seeing is a nice show. Here is what I think (could be false):

Flashback to mid season - Coach Jack says that she loves Buffalo and Western New York. Active in the community. Coach Oats on the other hand does not play into the community but his team. Saying that he wants to coach these guys next year because we will be better with more recruits.
For mid-season, this is what I thought. Coach Jack loves the team and Western New York/Buffalo. Coach Oats loves his guys. Don't get me wrong, I think Oats likes Buffalo but not as much as Coach Jack.

End of season - Both coaches do extremely well. In the market, men's basketball coaches are more likely to go quicker than women's coaches. Oats is not as tied to Buffalo as Coach Jack. Their main concern was sign Oats to extension even before a new AD comes on board. This would ensure Oats stays.
Why not Coach Jack?

This is where I become a conspiracy theorist. Athletics mentions to Coach Jack. We want you but wait a second for......

UB hires new AD, Mark Alnutt. One of the questions in the press conference, What is your priority with signing Coach Jack? This is what they were hoping to hear as a question. UB wants to hear them wonder about Coach Jack. It means media/people are interested in the Coach Jack extension and for good reason. Coach Jack as done amazing things for this city and the team.

AD Mark Alnutt's first major accomplishment, signing Coach Jack for an extension.

Not only does this give everyone what they want. It also starts Alnutt on a good foot and gets the general public to warm up to him as well. It is a great PR move heading into football. They were waiting on the extension for the new AD.

March 22, 2018, 09:20:18 AM
Reply #9

TML1000

• Information
  • Prospect
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2018, 09:20:18 AM »
... but the cupboard is far from bare with returnees and incoming recruits.

I wish I knew more about how the WBB recruits compare with other schools.  We have been spoiled by VerbalCommits dot com on the men's side.  Are there any sites that anyone uses for WBB recruiting info? 

I just found https://prospectsnation.com/players/verbals/2018, but have no idea how reliable it is.  It doesn't list anyone for Buffalo, and suggests that both Miami and EMU have a 4 star player coming in next year.

Women's recruiting info is a tough go...the 4 star recruit for Eastern is from Baldwin, who just won back to back state titles in NYS. She is legit but not sure at the level of a total program changer. She has benefited from playing with some other fantastic players around her that has likely boosted all of their stock on recruiting sites.

The lack of info on the incoming UB recruits might have to do in part with that 3 of the 5 are from Canada. From what I have seen, I am particularly excited to see Ade Adeyeye...looks like she could be a very special player.

March 22, 2018, 10:35:43 AM
Reply #10

BasketBull

• Information
  • Position Coach
  • BU--FF--AL--O--GO
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2018, 10:35:43 AM »
Adam Zagoria is talking up Oats as option B for Pittsburgh now that Dan Hurley is headed to UConn. I forgot how awful this wait and see game feels.

March 22, 2018, 10:54:17 AM
Reply #11

guru

• Information
  • Signed Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2018, 10:54:17 AM »
With what Coach Jack has done the last few years being one of the top teams in the MAC and putting UB on the national scene it should be a no brainer for Mr. Alnutt to give the caoching staff an extension with salary bumps. I think Coach Jack would stay here especially with Dillard here one more year and I would think she wants to continue all this success and start with a new recruiting class that on paper seems to have the potential to be very good. Coach Jack has some 6ft3 women coming in along with another point guard. But it is always uncertain how quickly they will develop. It should make for a interesting year. Go Bulls!!!

March 22, 2018, 12:15:28 PM
Reply #12

admin

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2018, 12:15:28 PM »
Adam Zagoria is talking up Oats as option B for Pittsburgh now that Dan Hurley is headed to UConn. I forgot how awful this wait and see game feels.
Wasn't really nervous about this, but at $3 million/year, could that be the crazy offer Oats was referring to in his interview?
Hopefully not. Hopefully that was like a Kentucky, UNC or Duke job opening up.

March 22, 2018, 12:36:07 PM
Reply #13

dbburns

• Information
  • Position Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2018, 12:36:07 PM »
Wasn't really nervous about this, but at $3 million/year, could that be the crazy offer Oats was referring to in his interview?
Hopefully not. Hopefully that was like a Kentucky, UNC or Duke job opening up.

If Oats is smart, he'll stay another year with UB regardless of what opens up.   He's a hot commodity now yea, but imagine how he's viewed in the market next year with a better team, potentially in the top 25, hopefully a similar / better run in the tourney.   

Very possible that we're in the top 25 and sweet 16 next year.  Think how other fan bases will view him and Buffalo.  Lot of things need to happen, but it's a possibility....now lets say that happens.   Teams will be throwing offers of 3m at a minimum.   Assuming there is competition for his services, he could wind up with a much better offer.

I dont think Oats could get the same offer as Hurley from Pitt or UConn.   They would tell him he hasnt done as much, but next year he could get that same offer.
06 Grad

March 22, 2018, 12:36:35 PM
Reply #14

sportscliche

• Information
  • Verbal Commit
  • SUNYAB BSEE 1981; MSEE 1984
    • View Profile

This site is READ ONLY