As of 8/24/2018, this site has been archived. Please visit http://www.ubfan.com for the new site
THIS SITE IS READ ONLY

Author Topic: Odds on keeping FLJ and NO  (Read 93295 times)

March 22, 2018, 08:19:28 PM
Reply #30

UB85

• Information
  • Position Coach
    • View Profile
Re: Odds on keeping FLJ and NO
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2018, 08:19:28 PM »
Latest reporting http://pittsburghsportscastle.com/pitt-athletic-department-to-re-evaluate-coaching-search-friday/ out of Pittsburgh suggests an athletic department meeting to evaluate their search.

March 22, 2018, 08:34:45 PM
Reply #31

UB85

• Information
  • Position Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2018, 08:34:45 PM »
Good news on the Pitt front perhaps: https://pittsburgh.forums.rivals.com/threads/the-crazy-steigy-says-we-are-going-back-at-miller.128895/

It appears that Pitt may now be focusing on Sean Miller who is from the Pittsburgh area. Let’s hope this happens!!

March 22, 2018, 08:40:02 PM
Reply #32

Jeseph

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • True Blue Co-Founder and Alumni
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2018, 08:40:02 PM »
That board is just stressing me out more, they have threads in every direction but many of them are high on Oats (I know it's mostly just fans discussing). Oats please hold a press release stating you're going NOWHERE before you head out to support the Women's team in Albany

March 23, 2018, 01:48:24 AM
Reply #33

MDBullsfan89

• Information
  • All MAC Performer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2018, 01:48:24 AM »
Pitt screwed up with Kevin Stallings all the way - hiring him in the first place and then firing him only 2 years later with a huge buyout to deal with. Sure they can afford to pay Oats more anyway, but chances are they'll screw this up to our benefit. And again. Oats is too smart to take on this train wreck/dumpster fire/whatever you wanna call it.

March 23, 2018, 10:29:28 AM
Reply #34

guru

• Information
  • Signed Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2018, 10:29:28 AM »
It is still very nerve wrecking about Pit. I thought Miller said he is not interested in the Pit job. I agree Oats should just come out and say he is not interested in the Pit job. I think he is supposed to be in Albany on Sat for the women's game. After all his comments about wanting to stay at UB and getting the big raise and all his comments about loving it here with his familly it would be very troubling if Oats leaves. With all the positive vibes here and all the negative vibes at Pit I can't see him taking the job. Wishful thinking maybe. Is the old saying "Money isn't everything and the grass isn't always greener on the other side" even in the equation anymore. Not sure anymore in today's world. Hope for the best and Gop Bulls!!!

March 23, 2018, 12:02:50 PM
Reply #35

zigo230

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2018, 12:02:50 PM »
On the flip side, it's the same in all walks of life and career.   When you're a hot commodity and people want to PAY you lot's of money,  it's time to cash in.   I know we all hope Nate waits at least one more season to do it.  Maybe his family life will dictate that he stays in Amherst for the 2018-2019 season, knowing they will have another great chance to win the MAC.   But if he leaves i can't really blame him. 

March 23, 2018, 12:16:32 PM
Reply #36

McBulls

• Information
  • Verbal Commit
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2018, 12:16:32 PM »
Gotta be a difficult decision. Chance to cash in with life-changing money, but knowing that you're signing up for a horrendous situation. That said, if Oats is the coach we think he is, he may turn that program around and continue to move up the ladder.

Alternative: wait one more year, hopefully achieve the same level of success, potentially receive a better offer at a more stable program which would not represent a Herculean task to turn around. Downside- let's say we have a rash of injuries and the wheels come off. What if this opportunity never comes again?

On the administrative side, just hope they have a plan of succession to allow our program to continue to grow.

March 23, 2018, 12:51:45 PM
Reply #37

Jeseph

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • True Blue Co-Founder and Alumni
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2018, 12:51:45 PM »
PLEASE

Quote from: Adam Zagoria on Twitter
Pittsburgh is now targeting @BonniesMBB coach Mark Schmidt as its next coach, source says.

source

March 23, 2018, 02:08:37 PM
Reply #38

guru

• Information
  • Signed Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2018, 02:08:37 PM »
I also seen that Mark Schmidt's name has surfaced for the Pit job. It might make sense with him after losing three of his top players and I have not really seen or heard of any top recrruits signed at Bona. In Nate Oats case with many of his top players back and the recruiting class coming in you would think he would want to stick around especially with his contract extension. I suppose it must be tough to live and support a family on $600,000 a year. In today's world all the emphsis seems to be only on money. Still hoping for coaches Oats and Jack to be here for the forseeable future. Go Bulls!!!

March 23, 2018, 02:16:28 PM
Reply #39

UB92

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2018, 02:16:28 PM »
Gotta be a difficult decision. Chance to cash in with life-changing money, but knowing that you're signing up for a horrendous situation. That said, if Oats is the coach we think he is, he may turn that program around and continue to move up the ladder.

Alternative: wait one more year, hopefully achieve the same level of success, potentially receive a better offer at a more stable program which would not represent a Herculean task to turn around. Downside- let's say we have a rash of injuries and the wheels come off. What if this opportunity never comes again?

On the administrative side, just hope they have a plan of succession to allow our program to continue to grow.

Here is the thing, though.  Pitt was obviously horrible this year.  But that rebuilding job is going to take something.  They are rebuilding in the ACC, not the OVC. 

I would like to see someone do some research on when was the last time a team won 0 games in conference in the ACC and how long it took them to make it to the NCAA tournament.  I would think that only bottom feeders couldn't manage to win a game in the ACC and they were probably bad for many years.  Maybe Wake Forest?

[Time elapses]

Okay...I have checked.  Wake won 0 conference games in 1985 and made the tournament five years later.  I can't think of any team that would have lost 0 games in the ACC other than Wake.
The State University of New York. 

Blue. White. Damn Right.

March 23, 2018, 02:17:15 PM
Reply #40

UB85

• Information
  • Position Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2018, 02:17:15 PM »
PLEASE

Quote from: Adam Zagoria on Twitter
Pittsburgh is now targeting @BonniesMBB coach Mark Schmidt as its next coach, source says.

source

Good news hopefully. Bronstein also reporting Oats is expected in Albany tomorrow as well. Could it be that Nate said thanks, but no thanks to Pitt? Schmidt would be a good hire for Pitt. He took over a scandal plagued Bona program with one recruits welding certificate being the basis of his admission. He turned the program around and successfully recruited very good talent to Olean, no small feat.

March 23, 2018, 04:43:06 PM
Reply #41

strong like bull

• Information
  • Signed Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2018, 04:43:06 PM »

Here is the thing, though.  Pitt was obviously horrible this year.  But that rebuilding job is going to take something.  They are rebuilding in the ACC, not the OVC. 

I would like to see someone do some research on when was the last time a team won 0 games in conference in the ACC and how long it took them to make it to the NCAA tournament.  I would think that only bottom feeders couldn't manage to win a game in the ACC and they were probably bad for many years.  Maybe Wake Forest?

[Time elapses]

Okay...I have checked.  Wake won 0 conference games in 1985 and made the tournament five years later.  I can't think of any team that would have lost 0 games in the ACC other than Wake.

I know Georgia Tech was winless in the ACC in 1980-81; Maryland in '86-'87; Boston College 2015-16; Clemson a couple times back in the early 1950's. The aforementioned Wake Forest team, and now Pitt. May be a few more, but those I are the ones I can think of.

March 23, 2018, 05:15:39 PM
Reply #42

admin

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2018, 05:15:39 PM »
Honestly, it doesn’t take long to rebuild in basketball. Calipari and now Duke somewhat do it every year. If you can recruit, you can win right away.

March 23, 2018, 07:46:22 PM
Reply #43

UB85

• Information
  • Position Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2018, 07:46:22 PM »
Schmidt reportedly no longer under consideration at Pitt. Shaq!! https://www.cardiachill.com/2018/3/23/17157518/mark-schmidt-pitt-coach-search-basketball-ncaa

March 23, 2018, 08:23:40 PM
Reply #44

squire17

• Information
  • All Rookie Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2018, 08:23:40 PM »
That’s good for Bonaventure at least. Still don’t think Oats is leaving this year. Next year, sure. And for his sake hopefully a program that’s not at the bottom of the heap.

This site is READ ONLY