As of 8/24/2018, this site has been archived. Please visit http://www.ubfan.com for the new site
THIS SITE IS READ ONLY

Author Topic: Odds on keeping FLJ and NO  (Read 93290 times)

March 23, 2018, 08:34:09 PM
Reply #45

UB85

• Information
  • Position Coach
    • View Profile
Re: Odds on keeping FLJ and NO
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2018, 08:34:09 PM »
That’s good for Bonaventure at least. Still don’t think Oats is leaving this year. Next year, sure. And for his sake hopefully a program that’s not at the bottom of the heap.

Read some scuttlebutt about Schmidt possibly at Xavier if Chris Mack goes to Louisville which seems like it’s going to happen. Schmidt supposedly going to meet with administrators at Bona tomorrow. Apparently he isn’t happy about something. That’s per a Bona press type

March 23, 2018, 08:51:27 PM
Reply #46

rma

• Information
  • All Rookie Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2018, 08:51:27 PM »
I hate Bona, but it's bad for Big 4 basketball if he leaves and St Bonaventure sucks at basketball.
So, thunder through, Go Blue! Give a Cheer, never fear!

March 24, 2018, 12:59:35 AM
Reply #47

enrique14150

• Information
  • Redshirt Freshman
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2018, 12:59:35 AM »
I want to believe that a person sticks by their word - and I feel that by agreeing to that extension, that was Oats giving us his word that he was staying for at least another year.  I think it would've been rotten to do that and turn around and do otherwise.  As we've all seen the finances involved aren't enough to scare anyone from a bigger conference away.  To me it was the symbolism of it, from both sides.  So I remain confident about this for now.

March 24, 2018, 04:11:20 PM
Reply #48

guru

• Information
  • Signed Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2018, 04:11:20 PM »
Totaly agree enrique. If UB did not give Nate the contract extension I think Nate would take another coaching position to a higher rated conference. I also remain confident that he will stay at UB with the kind of big bump up in salary he received. Now it is the new AD Mark Alnutt's turn to show coach Jack how much they want her to stay at UB. Go Bulls!!!!

March 24, 2018, 04:17:11 PM
Reply #49

UB85

• Information
  • Position Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2018, 04:17:11 PM »
I think we need to think outside the box. While I believe Nate will be here next year there is a great deal of uncertainty the year after especially with another excellent team. If I was the new AD I’d sit down with Nate ASAP and ask him point blank what needs to be done to keep him here long term. I would also be looking at big time financial boosters and potential boosters and approach them to see if they could fund a Nate Oats coaching annuity so that his salary could be increased even more so that he’s shown that his vision of making UB one of the top mid major programs a reality.

March 24, 2018, 08:10:49 PM
Reply #50

MDBullsfan89

• Information
  • All MAC Performer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2018, 08:10:49 PM »
Have to think Porter Moser will be a hot P5 candidate too whenever Loyola's run ends. Congrats to them on the Final Four!

March 24, 2018, 08:30:40 PM
Reply #51

squire17

• Information
  • All Rookie Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2018, 08:30:40 PM »
Have to think Porter Moser will be a hot P5 candidate too whenever Loyola's run ends. Congrats to them on the Final Four!
I think he’s making $420k this year in Chicago. So yeah he’ll be in a candidate for the P5.

March 24, 2018, 09:02:18 PM
Reply #52

McBulls

• Information
  • Verbal Commit
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2018, 09:02:18 PM »
Meh. I know he has a team in the Final Four, but this is his third D1 job and this was his first winning season in the Valley. I'm not sure I would be too excited about handing him a P5 program if I'm an AD.

March 24, 2018, 09:10:56 PM
Reply #53

guru

• Information
  • Signed Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2018, 09:10:56 PM »
Totally agree UB85 about thinking outside the box. If President Tripathi and Mark Alnutt want to make UB into a destination for players and show the community they are invested in big time college basketball they need to offer big time bucks to Oats and Jack. All the positive vibes have been set in motion and we need to keep this train rolling. Hope for increased fund raising and increased season ticket interest. Go Bulls!!!!

March 25, 2018, 03:13:40 AM
Reply #54

MDBullsfan89

• Information
  • All MAC Performer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2018, 03:13:40 AM »
Meh. I know he has a team in the Final Four, but this is his third D1 job and this was his first winning season in the Valley. I'm not sure I would be too excited about handing him a P5 program if I'm an AD.

I don't disagree, but I'm hoping for our sake some P5 AD gets caught up in the Final Four excitement and hires him rather than making a run at Oats.

March 25, 2018, 03:35:15 AM
Reply #55

squire17

• Information
  • All Rookie Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2018, 03:35:15 AM »
Jim Whitesell was Moser’s predecessor at Loyola Chicago. He had one winning season there in Horizon/MVC, and yet look at how respected he is by UB. Not saying Moser is going to get an offer, but getting to the final four sure isn’t going to hurt. 😃

March 26, 2018, 03:28:34 PM
Reply #56

admin

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2018, 03:28:34 PM »
Next year, if it comes to it, we should have a succession plan.

We should go with the hot coach from Loyola Chicago.  Jim Whitesell.  We're fortunate to have a former D1 head coach on our staff.  He's the most logical choice. 

We should also elevate Coach Hogson an Associate Head Coach similar to coach Whitesell's role now. 

March 26, 2018, 03:36:01 PM
Reply #57

BrooklynBull

• Information
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2018, 03:36:01 PM »
Next year, if it comes to it, we should have a succession plan.

We should go with the hot coach from Loyola Chicago.  Jim Whitesell.  We're fortunate to have a former D1 head coach on our staff.  He's the most logical choice. 

We should also elevate Coach Hogson an Associate Head Coach similar to coach Whitesell's role now.

All athletic directors have short lists for replacements, regardless of the level, for football and basketball coaches.  It also applies in some other sports as well.  I am sure Warde Manjuel had a short list when it was time to replace Red Berenson as hockey coach at Michigan.

March 26, 2018, 06:34:57 PM
Reply #58

skrabukes

• Information
  • Verbal Commit
    • AOL Instant Messenger - skrabukes5
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2018, 06:34:57 PM »
Let's just enjoy what we've got, for as long as they are here and not assume or presume that they're going now or any other time. We don't know who would offer them, or how much, or if they desire those positions. Both coaches have built a program. These programs are their doing, along with their staffs and players, but it was their vision. I for one appreciate all that each have done and sincerely hope that they will be here for as long as possible. Until otherwise stated, I'm only going to be happy for the tremendous season that I was able to witness from both teams. Every game witnessed was a pleasure, both in person and on tv. Thankfully I was able to see all of the home games and many postseason games! Many years have passed where those games watched were just like the current Sabres games, just something to do, cheer on the home team, but there was no possibilities of success. This year's team was different from Day 1, the vision was there from the coaches, and the players carried it through. Go Bulls!

March 26, 2018, 09:18:05 PM
Reply #59

sportscliche

• Information
  • Verbal Commit
  • SUNYAB BSEE 1981; MSEE 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2018, 09:18:05 PM »
Fans should enjoy and appreciate what has been built at UB, but it makes sense to be pragmatic. Oats talked about establishing the program as a mid-major power akin to Wichita State and Gonzaga. But there are couple of salient facts: i) Neither of those schools plays D1 football and ii) Greg Marshall and Mark Few make 7-figures annually.

This site is READ ONLY