As of 8/24/2018, this site has been archived. Please visit http://www.ubfan.com for the new site
THIS SITE IS READ ONLY

Author Topic: UB hard after Center Carlos Curry  (Read 11956 times)

April 05, 2018, 07:11:43 PM
Read 11956 times

Kevin

• Information
  • All Rookie Team
  • UB Basketball Die Hard ('06 - Present)
    • View Profile
UB hard after Center Carlos Curry
« on: April 05, 2018, 07:11:43 PM »
Down to Florida State and UB after all four of MTSU's players decommitted.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/carlos-curry

@VerbalCommits
Buffalo, Florida State and Mercer offered 2018 Dougherty (GA) C Carlos Curry.
https://twitter.com/VerbalCommits/status/982028798051811328
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 05:09:33 PM by Kevin »

April 05, 2018, 07:19:13 PM
Reply #1

BasketBull

• Information
  • Position Coach
  • BU--FF--AL--O--GO
    • View Profile
Re: UB hard after Center Carlos Curry
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 07:19:13 PM »
UB also reportedly going after UMES  transfer 6’8” PF Miryne Thomas: https://twitter.com/primetimemitch/status/981898577789276161?s=21

April 05, 2018, 08:46:56 PM
Reply #2

rma

• Information
  • All Rookie Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 08:46:56 PM »
all four of MTSU's player decommitted.

Ugh what we have to look forward to next year...
So, thunder through, Go Blue! Give a Cheer, never fear!

April 06, 2018, 01:27:40 PM
Reply #3

mikescherrer8

• Information
  • Signed Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 01:27:40 PM »
Interesting, any reason as to why they had players decommit?

April 06, 2018, 02:17:37 PM
Reply #4

McBulls

• Information
  • Verbal Commit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 02:17:37 PM »
Head coach Kermit Davis left for Ole' Miss, hence the fear above that should Nate Oats bolt next season a very large recruiting class (5-6 players) could leave with him...

April 06, 2018, 09:44:09 PM
Reply #5

121Merrimac

• Information
  • Redshirt Freshman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 09:44:09 PM »
Head coach Kermit Davis left for Ole' Miss, hence the fear above that should Nate Oats bolt next season a very large recruiting class (5-6 players) could leave with him...

But, Ole' Miss isn't one of the schools that recently offered Carlos... Is it just a matter of time, or are there other reasons?

In other MBB news, MAC teams had 6 players transfer away this past week.

April 06, 2018, 11:33:34 PM
Reply #6

McBulls

• Information
  • Verbal Commit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 11:33:34 PM »
Not saying that Carlos is heading to Ole' Miss. I hope we sign him. Big who looks all of 7 feet, had offers from Clemson, OU, and FSU, can shoot, and defend the rim.

Just saying that players decommitted from MTSU because the head coach (Kermit Davis) left. It is common now for recruits to be released from a scholarship commitment if the head coach for the school to which they have committed leaves or is fired. Players use this as an opportunity to reopen recruitment, whether they follow the head coach to his new destination or not.

rma is suggesting that this will be our fate next season, implying that anyone we sign for the 2019 class (we will have at least five scholarships to give) would likely de-commit upon Oats taking a different job.

April 07, 2018, 02:13:16 PM
Reply #7

mikescherrer8

• Information
  • Signed Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2018, 02:13:16 PM »
My favorite part of these forums are the individuals just assuming Nate Oats is as good as gone after next year. Despite having a wife in remission from cancer and 3 daughters who are all settled here. Some of you are absolutely pathetic and negative.

April 07, 2018, 03:03:10 PM
Reply #8

trueblue32

• Information
  • Verbal Commit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2018, 03:03:10 PM »
Saying Oats is leaving next year is more realistic than negative and certainly not cause for calling anyone pathetic. What incentive does Oats have to stay if he has another good run and graduates half the team and most of the core? Danny white had a family and left, Bobby Hurley had a family and left, Allen Greene had a family and left. His wife's cancer doesn't bind him here and if anything is more reason that he should pursue a 6x-10x raise from what we can offer him.

Let's look at a list of good mid-majors that have retained their coaches: mark few at Gonzaga, Greg Marshall at Wichita and they're no longer in a mid major conference. Shaka Smart left VCU, Archie Miller left Dayton, Chris beard left Little Rock, dambrot left Akron, Brad Underwood left SFA, do I need to go on?

April 07, 2018, 06:31:24 PM
Reply #9

UB77

• Information
  • Redshirt Freshman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2018, 06:31:24 PM »
Just an addendum.

Mark Few has indeed stayed on at Gonzaga, but the coach before him, Dan Monson, the first one who get the program to the NCAA tournament, left for Minnesota after a couple of years with the Zags and is now at Long Beach State.

Most coaches come and go at all levels. It's part of the DNA of sports. It would be great for Oats to stay. It would be foolish to count on it.

April 07, 2018, 10:26:20 PM
Reply #10

McBulls

• Information
  • Verbal Commit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2018, 10:26:20 PM »
For the record I hope Oats stays. He strikes me as a true leader, good man, and a phenomenal basketball coach. That said, he himself has implied that if an impressive offer came along he would have to consider. I don't begrudge him that in the least. I don't know Oats or his family, and I won't theorize about what such an offer might require for him to consider jumping ship.

I hope the administration and Nate are discussing how to continue to grow Buffalo basketball, and what will be required to do so. I am just saying we need a contingency plan in place should a life altering offer come Nate's way next year, which I do expect. Wichita St (Gregg Marshall) and Gonzaga (Mark Few) are among the only mid major that tasted success and enticed a coach to stay long enough to provide the consistency necessary to build a monster program. They devote resources to basketball (and coaching salaries) that we aren't close to matching right now.

If we can't entice Oats to stay, and I would argue that we aren't in a financial position as of yet to do so, we need to continue to hit on hires. Schools below followed this route:

Buter, beginning in 1989: Barry Collier (3 NIT, 3 NCAA tourneys), Thad Matta (NCAA tourney in only year, Rd 32), Todd Lickliter (2 NCAA Sweet 16s, 2 NIT), Brad Stevens (4 straight NCAA tourneys, 2 title games), Chris Holtmann (3 tourneys in 3 years, one sweet 16), and now LaVall Jordan (NCAA tourney, rd 32, in only season). Along the way they jumped from the Horizon to the Big East.

Xavier, beginnin in 1985: Pete Gillen (7 NCAA tourneys in 9 seasons), Skip Prosser (4 tourneys in 6 seasons), Thad Matta (3/3, 1 Elite 8), Sean Miller (4/5, 1 Elite 8, 1 Sweet 16), Chris Mack (7/8, 3 sweet 16s, 1 Elite 8).

Not pathetic or negative. Love Oats. Love this school and team. Realistic, and want to make sure we can continue to build on our recent success.

April 08, 2018, 08:22:27 AM
Reply #11

rma

• Information
  • All Rookie Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2018, 08:22:27 AM »
My favorite part of these forums are the individuals just assuming Nate Oats is as good as gone after next year. Despite having a wife in remission from cancer and 3 daughters who are all settled here. Some of you are absolutely pathetic and negative.
He could stay, but if somebody offered you to perform your exact same job somewhere else with more resources (and higher expectations), and you were getting paid 3-6 times your current salary, would you do it?  Better yet, if somebody offered you a 7 to 8 figure contract and you didn't grow up wealthy, would you take it?

I hope he stays, but UB would need to do massive fundraising in order to even compete with a major conference offer, and even that doesn't mean he'll stay.  URI couldn't keep Hurley after they made him a very competitive offer.
So, thunder through, Go Blue! Give a Cheer, never fear!

April 08, 2018, 09:03:01 AM
Reply #12

UB92

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2018, 09:03:01 AM »
Here's the thing, though.  I love the fact that the fan base is so engaged that we are having these types of discussions (i.e. about the coach moving on).  Almost all schools (remember...there are like 350 D1 teams) are at risk for their coach jumping ship to the next job when they have a good season or two.  Nature of the business.   But it is GREAT the fan base is still discussing this since it shows their interest and passion.

Of course, calling someone "pathetic" for having this type of discussion reeks of someone not being in touch with the reality of the situation.

1.  All (I assume) want Oats to stay.

2.  The cost to keep him, should he do well next year and conferences come calling, would be outside what UB and the MAC provides.

3.   Just because a coach leaves does not mean the recruits will automatically leave and follow him (or decommit to go elsewhere).  This is where having an in-house replacement is a good strategy for MAC teams.  You won't keep them all, but you may keep what you need.  Truly, discussing succession if/when the coach leaves is just plain smart business.  Nothing more.  See item #1, however. 

4.   The Mark Few's of the world are very few and far between.  He has built a dynasty there because his teams (now) have so much more talent than the rest of the conference (in almost every year) that their path to the WCC championship game is very easy.  Success breeds success and he recruits off that.  Could that happen with UB?  Sure...imagine UB out-talents their opponents by a wide margin every year and their pathway to the championship game is easy.  However, that is very unlikely (but not impossible).

5.   Like the two OOC games already -- Marquette and West Virginia.  Keep them coming.  Maybe we can get a 1:1 with a mid-tier power school.

Go Bulls!
The State University of New York. 

Blue. White. Damn Right.

May 13, 2018, 08:33:06 AM
Reply #13

BasketBull

• Information
  • Position Coach
  • BU--FF--AL--O--GO
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2018, 08:33:06 AM »
Carlos Curry is on an official visit to UB this weekend. He just visited Ole Miss where Kermit Davis (formerly of MTSU) ended up.

May 14, 2018, 12:59:33 PM
Reply #14

Kevin

• Information
  • All Rookie Team
  • UB Basketball Die Hard ('06 - Present)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2018, 12:59:33 PM »
Seems like he will follow his old recurring coach and go to Ole Miss.

If he doesnt sign with UB, every other UB offer has picked elsewhere.

It will be interesting to know what they do with the last recruit.

This site is READ ONLY