As of 8/24/2018, this site has been archived. Please visit http://www.ubfan.com for the new site
THIS SITE IS READ ONLY

Author Topic: Thoughts on Bucky's Latest Article  (Read 27535 times)

May 30, 2018, 08:30:26 PM
Reply #30

bull_trojan

• Information
  • Redshirt Freshman
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Thoughts on Bucky's Latest Article
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2018, 08:30:26 PM »
I'm on team no coverage is better than bad coverage.

Despite their claims, the void between blogger and journalist is not that vast. My #1 USC football follow was writing for Conquest Chronicles (SB Nation's USC site) 5 years ago, and now he's USC beat writer for OC Register. TBN should bring in a young UB grad to cover UB sports with passion. Which would give them better coverage for cheaper.

I assume over their 20 year careers, the Bucky's and Sully's of TBN have benefits and compensation that outpace their utility, ESPECIALLY if instead of using their platform to grow the readership (i.e. 10 reasons why you SHOULD be following UB Football) they use their platform to stagnate or decrease their following (10 reasons why UB Football shouldn't exist)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 08:32:02 PM by bull_trojan »
@conradmostiller #ItsOn

June 01, 2018, 03:08:30 PM
Reply #31

WRUB

• Information
  • Redshirt Freshman
    • View Profile
    • http://wrub.buffalo.edu
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2018, 03:08:30 PM »
1000% agree.

Hire a recent grad and they'll do very similar work for probably 25% of the pay.
Listen to UB football/basketball games live on WRUB. WRUB is the student run radio station at UB with student broadcasting all games.

To help with broadcasts or to have your own show. Find more about WRUB at wrub.buffalo.edu

June 01, 2018, 09:56:54 PM
Reply #32

squire17

• Information
  • All Rookie Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2018, 09:56:54 PM »
I just read a post elsewhere by former TBN employee, Elmer Ploetz. http://www.dailypublic.com/articles/05302018/whats-happening-buffalo-news
 He suggests that both Gleason and Sullivan were pressured into accepting the “buyout” because their columns were deemed too negative. Seriously? How could anyone be negative about our beloved pro teams? Bwahahaaaaa! He also hints that the BN has reached some sort of deal to print brochures for the local pro teams. Quid pro quo? In any event, despite what has been written by several at ubfan, this is bad news for this area. I’m no lover of TBN, but their sports section was decent although it gave short shrift to college and high school. Now it will be worse.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 10:47:57 PM by squire17 »

June 02, 2018, 10:25:02 AM
Reply #33

promotherobot

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2018, 10:25:02 AM »
I just read a post elsewhere by former TBN employee, Elmer Ploetz. http://www.dailypublic.com/articles/05302018/whats-happening-buffalo-news
 He suggests that both Gleason and Sullivan were pressured into accepting the “buyout” because their columns were deemed too negative. Seriously? How could anyone be negative about our beloved pro teams? Bwahahaaaaa! He also hints that the BN has reached some sort of deal to print brochures for the local pro teams. Quid pro quo? In any event, despite what has been written by several at ubfan, this is bad news for this area. I’m no lover of TBN, but their sports section was decent although it gave short shrift to college and high school. Now it will be worse.

That writer makes some real leaps to suggest that something shady was going on between the BN and the Pegulas. The insinuation is that the Peguals pressured the News into gutting their sports department just for the chance to print Sabres programs? There are car dealerships that spend more with the News than the Bills or Sabres ever have. I smell poop.

June 03, 2018, 07:00:49 PM
Reply #34

squire17

• Information
  • All Rookie Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2018, 07:00:49 PM »
It may indeed be a crock, but Gleason and Sullivan undeniably were the biggest thorns in the perception that the pro franchises here have been competently managed - mordantly relentless in their coverage of the Pegulas. Now, the late Steve Weller was in a class by himself when it came to ridiculing the vanities and absurdities that we abide. I can’t see TBN improving with their departure.

June 04, 2018, 10:18:02 AM
Reply #35

promotherobot

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2018, 10:18:02 AM »
It may indeed be a crock, but Gleason and Sullivan undeniably were the biggest thorns in the perception that the pro franchises here have been competently managed - mordantly relentless in their coverage of the Pegulas. Now, the late Steve Weller was in a class by himself when it came to ridiculing the vanities and absurdities that we abide. I can’t see TBN improving with their departure.

If you are going to play the "motive" game, who wasn't tormented by those two professional trolls?

June 24, 2018, 08:42:02 AM
Reply #36

verandaman

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
"The more you know, the more you know you don't know" - Aristotle

June 24, 2018, 07:20:59 PM
Reply #37

ChubbyHubby

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
  • WILL YOU CONSIDER HELPING OUT?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2018, 07:20:59 PM »
Saw this article and smiled...maybe most G5 teams have a "Bucky" somewhere?

http://www.santafenewmexican.com/sports/unm-should-cut-football-program/article_72eaee12-91a4-50e6-bd1f-b02400dc550b.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share
Does changing the name of the school in this piece relieve James Barron of any possible plagiarism suit from Bucky and Sully?
PLEASE CONSIDER DONATING TO MY RIDE FOR ROSWELL
Ask me how you can help out.

This site is READ ONLY