As of 8/24/2018, this site has been archived. Please visit http://www.ubfan.com for the new site
THIS SITE IS READ ONLY

Author Topic: 2018-2019 Schedules  (Read 43609 times)

August 03, 2018, 02:14:16 PM
Reply #15

MKBullsfan

• Information
  • Prospect
    • View Profile
Re: 2018-2019 Schedules
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2018, 02:14:16 PM »
Why would we want to drop football? We are on the verge of having one of the best years in our D-1 era, we put players in the pros (Khalil Mack), currently building a field house, have exposure on TV/ESPN which helps UB's brand to attract future students and we have income from the TV/MAC deal just to list a few reasons. Why not have both football and basketball AND be good at both? Your view is small minded. Just because Bonnies can't afford a football program doesn't mean we can't. We are the largest state public college, we can have football and basketball. This isn't Olean...

August 03, 2018, 05:15:17 PM
Reply #16

DooleyBull06

• Information
  • Prospect
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2018, 05:15:17 PM »
Why would we want to drop football? We are on the verge of having one of the best years in our D-1 era, we put players in the pros (Khalil Mack), currently building a field house, have exposure on TV/ESPN which helps UB's brand to attract future students and we have income from the TV/MAC deal just to list a few reasons. Why not have both football and basketball AND be good at both? Your view is small minded. Just because Bonnies can't afford a football program doesn't mean we can't. We are the largest state public college, we can have football and basketball. This isn't Olean...

Preach on. I’m afraid we got sucked in by a Bonnie fan. Let the wins silence all.

August 03, 2018, 06:54:12 PM
Reply #17

Buffalobonnie

• Information
  • Prospect
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2018, 06:54:12 PM »

No it is not Olean.  Good luck in football that was an outsiders  view.  If you guys want to chase the football dream good luck. I have attended a couple of games in the past five years and have a different opinion.

As far as basketball your conference does not get at large bids.  If you win the conference tournament (which you will have a great chance to do this year). You will go to the NCAA tournament.  If you don’t you will be in the NIT.  Basketball success is tough to sustain in a conference such as the MAC.  If you keep football you can’t change conferences. Enjoy these times as they may be fleeting. 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 10:23:04 PM by Buffalobonnie »

August 04, 2018, 01:55:07 AM
Reply #18

bull_trojan

• Information
  • Redshirt Freshman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2018, 01:55:07 AM »
Winning your conference is unsustainable... from a fan of a team with 3 conference championship appearances (and one win) in 40 years.
@conradmostiller #ItsOn

August 04, 2018, 07:02:59 AM
Reply #19

Buffalobonnie

• Information
  • Prospect
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2018, 07:02:59 AM »
10-2  4 straight during the “glory years”

I will come back in December to talk again.  Good luck in football this year. I will understand if you guys are distracted by preparations for the Raycom Media Camellia Bowl.

August 04, 2018, 12:20:05 PM
Reply #20

promotherobot

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2018, 12:20:05 PM »
What happened to the home games we supposedly paid for in the Naismith tip-off tournament?

https://www.ubbullrun.com/buffalo-basketball/2018/4/5/17202890/buffalo-mens-basketball-to-participate-in-naismith-hall-of-fame-tip-off

Are Marist and Dartmouth who we got for paying $150K??
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 12:28:06 PM by promotherobot »

August 04, 2018, 07:14:06 PM
Reply #21

UB77

• Information
  • Redshirt Freshman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2018, 07:14:06 PM »
I think the story with that link is wrong. UB will be at the Belfast Classic which is different from the Tip-Off games. Here's a link.

Belfast
http://www.belfastbasketballclassic.com/

and the Tip-Off
http://www.hoophall.com/events/tip-off-tournament/

They are both organized by the Naismith Hall of Fame.

I don't know where the $150,000 went.

August 04, 2018, 09:25:08 PM
Reply #22

dutchcountry7

• Information
  • Verbal Commit
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2018, 09:25:08 PM »
Yes, the $150k was the cost of the tournament for hosting Marist and Dartmouth.  That is what these things cost.   

Whoever wrote that article heard the Bulls were in the Hall of Fame tournament and assumed it was the long running one and not a new second event.

The money from playing Marquette, West Virginia and Syracuse makes these home games possible.  Need the home games if there is going to be any student and fan interest in the team.

The lack of money for additional games is why SIU is being played twice in one season. You don't have to pay if you swap trips and there aren't many good teams interested in swapping trips with the Bulls.

August 05, 2018, 10:16:53 AM
Reply #23

UB92

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2018, 10:16:53 AM »
Regarding the Gonzaga vs UB comparison, if you listed all of the ways UB and Gonzaga are alike and all the ways they are different, the differences would be long and the similarities would be short -- even considering basketball.

Football at the non-P5 level is going to be different ten years from now then it is now.  That's just a fact, considering decreased state appropriations, increased expenses, greater scrutiny of expenses, etc.  The UAB example is not going to be the norm (where football is resurrected).  There will be important G5 programs that close or move down a level.  it is happened now in some other sports (like what happened at UB) and will, eventually, impact football.  It is not a question of "if", but a question of "when".

UB has a decision to make soon about football, as do all of the G5 schools.  The financial model where it competes with P5 with less resources is just not sustainable anymore -- it really never was, but now that states are providing a shrinking amount of subsidy (and putting caps on tuition), hard decisions have to be made.

I can't believe I am writing this, but focusing more resources on basketball and looking for a more competitive conference (like the A-10) is worthy of exploration, considering the future.  I am not saying we should go this route, but it needs to be considered.

I always thought UB would (eventually) end up in a P5 conference.  It was the 'sleeping giant'...the public institution in New York State and, thus, would have a "powerhouse" sports program.  For a variety of reasons, that hasn't happened and, as I get older, I just don't see it on the horizon anymore.  I would like to be wrong, but I don't think I am.

The State University of New York. 

Blue. White. Damn Right.

August 06, 2018, 01:22:18 AM
Reply #24

bull_trojan

• Information
  • Redshirt Freshman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2018, 01:22:18 AM »
I think this is overstated, the current decision for G5 schools is whether to continue playing all sports or to cut down to your sport minimum and reinvest in Football and Basketball.  UB already made that decision.

The tv money in football is too good, the exposure, the auxiliary benefits, (football season is during application season) and ultimately, the attendance is the best, even at UB 6 games at 20k = 120k fans vs basketball's 15 games at 3k = 45k fans.

When it comes to Bona vs UB, Bona spends 1.2 million more than UB on Men's Basketball annually per EADA reports.

But based on their resources, Bona's spending represents 5.75% of their endowment and their per student cost is $1,642

UB's spending represents .34% of their endowment and their per student cost is $72. They'd only need to increase per student spending by $40 to bridge the gap between UB and Bona.
@conradmostiller #ItsOn

August 06, 2018, 05:35:13 PM
Reply #25

squire17

• Information
  • All Rookie Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2018, 05:35:13 PM »
The tv money in football is too good, the exposure, the auxiliary benefits, (football season is during application season) and ultimately, the attendance is the best, even at UB 6 games at 20k = 120k fans vs basketball's 15 games at 3k = 45k fans.

Men’s Basketball has about 15 members and then about 5 coaches. Football has about, what, 90 players and 10 coaches? Do the math.

August 06, 2018, 05:43:49 PM
Reply #26

squire17

• Information
  • All Rookie Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2018, 05:43:49 PM »
Just checked last year’s football roster and coaching/admin positions. 100 athletes and 24 coaches/admin. Football at UB = $$$ loser

August 06, 2018, 05:49:20 PM
Reply #27

UB92

• Information
  • Offensive Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2018, 05:49:20 PM »
I think this is overstated, the current decision for G5 schools is whether to continue playing all sports or to cut down to your sport minimum and reinvest in Football and Basketball.  UB already made that decision.

When it comes to Bona vs UB, Bona spends 1.2 million more than UB on Men's Basketball annually per EADA reports.

But based on their resources, Bona's spending represents 5.75% of their endowment and their per student cost is $1,642

UB's spending represents .34% of their endowment and their per student cost is $72. They'd only need to increase per student spending by $40 to bridge the gap between UB and Bona.

1.  It is my contention that while UB addressed an issue in the short-term, the football question is going to come up over and over again.  Nothing has been addressed...only delayed..with those programs UB eliminated as a temporary fix.
2.  I am not sure why you are quoting revenues for b-ball or football without any commentary on the costs.
3.  What is the relationship (without cherry picking examples) of enrollment and football success?  Does that study exist?
4.  What does the endowment have to do with anything?  Truly, I am asking, since a university doesn't have one endowment, but has many, many funds that are endowed for specific purposes.
The State University of New York. 

Blue. White. Damn Right.

August 06, 2018, 05:50:25 PM
Reply #28

squire17

• Information
  • All Rookie Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2018, 05:50:25 PM »
It boggles the mind that a University will have a student: professor ratio of 40>1, while the athlete: coach ratio is 4 to 1. That is pathetic, and has nothing specific to UB. That is the sign of a sick culture.

August 06, 2018, 07:54:04 PM
Reply #29

bull_trojan

• Information
  • Redshirt Freshman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2018, 07:54:04 PM »

1.  It is my contention that while UB addressed an issue in the short-term, the football question is going to come up over and over again.  Nothing has been addressed...only delayed..with those programs UB eliminated as a temporary fix.
2.  I am not sure why you are quoting revenues for b-ball or football without any commentary on the costs.
3.  What is the relationship (without cherry picking examples) of enrollment and football success?  Does that study exist?
4.  What does the endowment have to do with anything?  Truly, I am asking, since a university doesn't have one endowment, but has many, many funds that are endowed for specific purposes.

1. Could be true for UB, the stadium is so bad it's a negative X-factor. Your original post said this would be a G5-wide issue, I disagree but time will tell.

2. Nationwide, football nets more money than Basketball. That may not be the case at Buffalo. To quote the great Cat in the Hat, it's fun to have fun, but you have to know how.

3. My argument is that football helps increase # of applications. I think NCAA Tourney helps your yield as it occurs during acceptance letter time. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flutie_effect

4. Just saying that this debate is often framed at what a University can afford...i.e. you have to cut football if you want to be able to afford big time basketball, however there is also something to be said for University priorities. The endowment (generally the measure of a University's wealth) and price per person figures were there to illustrate that point. If UB leadership said lets spend our resources at the same rate as St. Bonaventure, we'd have between 38 million (5.75% of the endowment) and $46 million ($1,642/student).
@conradmostiller #ItsOn

This site is READ ONLY